Author Topic: Adjustments for Game 2  (Read 8617 times)

Re: Adjustments for Game 2
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 06:31:12 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Break Irving's kneecap

Man was that an overrated game for Irving. Yes, that first half was monster but let's not pretend he kept it up. If our defense finds it's way on him like it did in the second we will be fine.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 07:41:57 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
2 words- James Young

Just kidding.
1. I would like to see ET on the bench. He was so selfish today and that can't be tolerated on this C's team, not to mention that he can't guard LeBron.
2. Crowder on Lebron
3. Give Smart the ball and a chance to gain some experience. I think he was only 4-6 today?
4. Olynyk seemed decisive for most of the game, but hesitant later. He needs to learn to just put it up if he's open.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 07:45:09 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't think we need to change the game plan. Maybe not double LeBron because that got the a lot of open looks.

The most important thing is to not turn the ball over and secure the defensive boards. If we had done those two things today we probably win.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 07:53:16 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Three of Irving's first five three pointers were off-balance, low-percentage shots that really changed the flow of the game from the C's perspective. It can be quite deflating to play solid defense only to have a 'bad' three go down in your face.

However, I agree that the offensive rebounds by the Cavs were absolutely killer. I mean, I suppose we all knew that an athletic big was our biggest need, but it was exacerbated today. All of those easy 2nd chance lay-ups were especially deflating - again - after we played solid defense and held them to a miss.

The defense was actually okay, but we didn't finish our possessions.

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 07:53:48 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Have Pressey, Wallace and Babb pull a Bill Laimbeer and clobber Lebron and Kyrie.

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 08:03:34 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

2) Less Turner more IT4

4) Less TURNOVERS!!!

6) BOX OUT! End every defensive possession with a rebound

Can't agree with these 3 more. Especially NO TURNER ON LEBRON. Lebron will exploit him mercilessly. Crowder, Bass, Jerebko and Smart all are better equipped to handle him.

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 08:19:18 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Start Thomas and Olynyk, go down shooting.
Thought about this for fun factor alone. 140 to 120 point games would be nuts.

Starting lineup:

Thomas-Bradley-Datome-Jerebko-Olynyk

Run and shoot, run and shoot.
No!!  I don't want to see Lebron get double figures in dunks next game. 

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 08:22:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Starting lineup:

LBJ and Kyrie are going to get theirs regardless.

At least we could trot out some scoring lineups and see the Celtics try to put up some big scoring numbers, even if the Cavs score 140.

It's too bad Sullinger isn't healthy.  Stevens could try out the Sullinger-Olynyk starting combo again.  Nothing to lose.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2015, 08:24:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I would swap Evan Turner and Isaiah Thomas around. Switch Turner to 6th man role. Put Thomas in the starting lineup. Get Turner away from LeBron. Get Turner easier minutes against non-LeBron defenders and limit how much Turner has to defend LeBron. I think Thomas has done well against Kyrie in the past. Struggled defensively but exploited Kyrie's dodgy defense on the other end of the floor. I think making Kyrie work on defense and getting Kyrie sucked into a one-on-one battle with Thomas is good for Boston.

Marcus Smart would also have to move to the bench to get a bigger wing defender on the floor to check LeBron. Probably Crowder.

PG: Thomas, Smart
SG: Bradley, Turner
SF: Crowder, (Jerebko), (Turner)
PF: Bass, Jerebko
 C: Zeller, Olynyk

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 08:37:14 PM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
they just need to execute better and not get rattled.  they were doing pretty well, and when Cleveland pushed back, they sort of lost it and got into a big hole.  when Cleveland turned up their defense, we had little ability to get good shots and turned the ball over.  I felt like I was watching a young team that worked their way into a low playoff spot, playing against a more veteran team.  Although, I have to admit, Cleveland showed some real holes in their team.  If it were not for several buzzer beating 3 pointers, and some strange reason to let Lebron, travel, carry, foul, goal tend, and not call it, then it really would have been a different game.  I guess I just can never like a player who gets that kind of special treatment, is always spoken of about how great they are, and whines like a tweenage girl when he doesn't get a call.  It is like he is oblivious to how much better the refs make him, everyone else can see it, so why cry like that every time a foul is called?  It make him and the league look bad in my opinion.  He's the only player I've ever seen allowed to consistently dribble the ball over his shoulders, and not get called for it.

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2015, 08:43:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They have 3 all stars and we have none, I think it is an accomplishment that we made the playoffs with no all stars.

I think we have to do the little things, win the 50/50 plays, box out, be more careful with the ball and not turn it over so much.  I'd love to see us Gerald Wallace for some D on LeBron and rotate a group of guys over him.

Some of the calls today were brutal, no amount of adjustments can help with that.

Hopefully, some guys show up, we played poorly a lot and did not get blown out, so that is a plus.   If you had asked me before if I thought we would be in it with AB shooting 30% I would have laughed.

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2015, 09:07:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Starting lineup:

LBJ and Kyrie are going to get theirs regardless.

At least we could trot out some scoring lineups and see the Celtics try to put up some big scoring numbers, even if the Cavs score 140.

It's too bad Sullinger isn't healthy.  Stevens could try out the Sullinger-Olynyk starting combo again.  Nothing to lose.

I think Sullinger is fine. If he isn't healthy, then Stevens wouldn't be playing him. I actually like what I saw from Jerebko today.

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2015, 09:08:58 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Break Irving's kneecap

Second this. Do a better job defending him (although that 3 he made in front of Isaiah was crazy. Isaiah was right up in his face and Irving still made the shot.)

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 12:39:01 AM »

Offline shrinkage36

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Mix in a little zone, not too much.

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2015, 01:59:01 AM »

Offline Iggzilla

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
2 words- James Young

Lol, TP for you.

Adjustments I'd like to see:
1) Start Crowder so he can guard LeBron, have Turner come off the bench. Crowder's our only hope to slow him down, or at least make him work and make it tough on him to just get wherever he wants on the floor.

2) Put Bradley/Smart on Kyrie. Can't have IT guarding him.

3) Do better in the rebounding department, the Cavs just had too many second chance opportunities (15-7 off. rebounds in their favor). Easier said than done considering that the Cavs have excellent rebounders in Mozgov and Thompson, so I guess Stevens should put Sully and Zeller more minutes out there...

That said, the C's looked solid tonight, apart from an offensive lull in the 3rd quarter. Their defense was great, they forced the Cavs to make some really tough shots which they just happened to make. As long as they keep up this defensive pressure, they'll be able to hang with the Cavs and maybe take a game or two.