Author Topic: Smart needs to lose weight  (Read 5384 times)

Smart needs to lose weight
« on: April 19, 2015, 05:15:10 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
That may be his only hope.  And don't give me this crap about his ankle.  Smart is one of the least explosive, suppose to be athletes I have ever seen.  He has trouble getting by his man, he has no midrange game, and he has trouble finishing at the rim.  Did I miss anything?

So basically, short of some kind of drastic tansformation, there is almost nothing there on offense.

Re: Smart needs to lose weight
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 05:17:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's never going to be explosive.  He will succeed only by leveraging his superior strength and size for a player at the point guard position, not by slimming down.  Six foot 160 pound guys are always going to make him look slow, but he can bully them on the other end, and switch onto much larger players on defense.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 05:19:07 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think he's fine. Smart needs to be a little selfish. He's just not aggressive enough compare to who he was in college.

I don't know if he's just playing withing the system or just didn't want to, but he needs to attack.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 05:19:45 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
He has had a pretty decent game...

But It just seems like he can't get the volume up.

2nd half he just can't do much....

Im thinking he just gets gassed......not an excuse or anything, but he does put so much effort into defense it has to deflate offense somewhat.

He missed 2 free throws on one trip to the line.

He looked really good early, I think he just has not adjusted all his game yet to the minutes.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 05:27:39 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
He's never going to be explosive.  He will succeed only by leveraging his superior strength and size for a player at the point guard position, not by slimming down.  Six foot 160 pound guys are always going to make him look slow, but he can bully them on the other end, and switch onto much larger players on defense.
Which brings up another issue.  Is he ever going to be enough of a PG to be able to play the position without other ball handlers on the floor (so he can force a PG to guard him)?  Nevermind that he hasn't really bullied anyone all year.

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 05:43:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't know if losing weight will improve his quickness. Not sure Smart has the body type that will really gain much explosive quickness from dropping weight.

I remember Toronto tried the same thing with Calderon one year and it wrecked him for a whole season. Gained no quickness. Goal was to improve his quickness to help Calderon improve defensively. Instead it backfired. Calderon gained no extra quickness and actually became a worse defender because his plus size was really his only positive physical characteristics defensively and without he was dead in the water.

I think Smart would lose some of his defensive chops if he lost the weight. Not able to bully opposing guards anymore. Without a big improvement in offense, that won't be worth it.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 07:24:38 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
That may be his only hope.  And don't give me this crap about his ankle.  Smart is one of the least explosive, suppose to be athletes I have ever seen.  He has trouble getting by his man, he has no midrange game, and he has trouble finishing at the rim.  Did I miss anything?

So basically, short of some kind of drastic tansformation, there is almost nothing there on offense.

Smart will be fine, you're being overdramatic.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 07:29:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think a lot of players could use improved conditioning, including Smart, but it's not like he is in Sully-territory or anything. I don't mind him playing bigger and tougher than his opponent - that is kind of his thing, but he is so young right now and guys have a way of gaining weight as they get older.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 07:29:39 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I think he needs to work on his handle in the offseason.  He may never be super quick, but I think with improved confidence and deceptiveness with his dribble drives he will be able to drive to basket more successfully than he does now.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 07:44:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is not fat, a lot of his weight is muscle.   He won some 50/50 plays today something not a lot of guys did.

I worried when we drafted him that he lacks an elite first step.   He was a man against boys in college, now he is a man against man in the pros.  He does not have the edge anymore in that regard.

I think he will be ok, as his shot improved throughout the season and he if improves that in the off season then it will change his game a lot.  It is harder to improve in the season than it is in the off season.  I think this bodes well for him and I think he will get better at shooting.

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 08:22:22 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

I think you missed the two early strong takes to rim in today's game. He seemed to start out with a concentrated effort to penetrate and did so, scoring twice.

He is a rookie. His shot has improved all year. His playmaking has improved. His getting to the rim has started to improve. He has had one training camp, not even one real off-season. If you think the only chance for any improvement he has is losing a little weight (which most don't think he needs to do), I can't say I agree. This seems like something of a rush to judgement, no?

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 08:23:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Which brings up another issue.  Is he ever going to be enough of a PG to be able to play the position without other ball handlers on the floor (so he can force a PG to guard him)?  Nevermind that he hasn't really bullied anyone all year.

His future might be as a secondary ball-handler at SG.  Next to the right point guard, that could work really well.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 08:49:44 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Smart does not need to lose weight.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 09:01:14 PM »

Offline Gari

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
His weight is fine, but he needs to learn how to utilize his strong upper body to his advantage. Perhaps he should look at some Kyle Lowry clips. I think he needs to work on his body control aside from ball handling. His layups and floaters do not look fluid to me.

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 09:15:24 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
ive been pessimistic about Smart in the past, but I actually left todays game feeling good about where hes heading.
Greg