Author Topic: Moral Victories  (Read 4986 times)

Re: Moral Victories
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2015, 08:10:11 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Irving and Lebron both had to play over 40 minutes.  If the Celtics can force that to happen for the remaining games, I'd consider that a moral victory. 

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2015, 08:13:01 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Serious question for pessimistic Boston fans. Is watching sports fun for you?
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2015, 08:15:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

It can be awesome.  It can also be heartbreaking.  Or just plain disappointing.

But most Boston sports fans, if they are pessimistic, are so only because they can't help but be emotionally invested.  It's a learned defense tactic.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2015, 08:19:50 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

But most Boston sports fans, if they are pessimistic, are so only because they can't help but be emotionally invested.  It's a learned defense tactic.

Maybe your right. I think they are just influenced by their media.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2015, 08:21:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Maybe your right. I think they are just influenced by their media.

It's true, the sports culture in Boston is in large part created and perpetuated by the way sports media works in the town.  It's an echo chamber.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2015, 11:53:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I love watching the team fire on all cylinders.   It's also really fun watching young players develop.  I enjoyed the game tonight, because they put up a good effort and it was neat to watch Olynyk and Smart refuse to be intimidated.  We just don't have the talent to win this series.   Watching your favorite team get completely outplayed is never fun.  Tonight wasn't too bad.  2004 when we got swept by the Pacers was pretty unwatchable.  I think I might have skipped the final game.  It wasn't any fun watching a completely outclassed team get curb stomped.  This series might get there.

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2015, 12:28:06 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Winning game 2 would be nice for me, because it means that Boston (even if it's just for 48 hours):

a) Finds themselves tied with Cleveland in a playoff series
b) Steals home court advantage
c) Shows Lebron and the world that they aren't going to just lay down and die

If they did that, then even if they got swept in the final 3 games, I'd be proud.

I'd be content with either of the following:

1) Force a game 6 by winning two (any two) games
2) Force Cleveland to win at least one game in overtime
3) Force Cleveland to win at least two close games that come down to the final few possessions

Basically anything that shows off this team's competitive spirit and convinces the world (and upcoming free agents) that the Celtics are one or two pieces away from being a serious threat in the East. 

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2015, 04:43:10 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Moral victory #1 - We won the first quarter on National television.  Way to go.  Hopefully opposing team scouts turn off the TV and miss the rest of this  game where we inevitably get dominated.

LOL c'mon man stop playing the pessimist role. You play it well.

For once, let's have some faith.
Being realistic here.  This team has no chance in hell.

Moral victory 2:  Marcus smart played rather well for a rookie. Didn't come in scared.  Learned some lessons.
Where is your apology thread for stating that BOS wouldn't even get this far? Especially after the trades of Rajon Rondo and JG?

Posted about it a while ago.  I had us pegged for 15-25 wins with the opening day roster.  We didn't keep the opening day roster.   Removing Rondo and Green cleaned up a lot of the mess. 

Also posted this a few days ago:  "Team Deserves Applause"  http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77599.0

Regardless of the fact we're going to get destroyed by the Cavs, I think we had an impressive season. We should hover around 32-45 wins for the foreseeable future without significant roster additions.

LOL C'mon man we were like 20-12 since ASB.

Even "IF" we don't make any roster additions, going forward this team will be plus 500.
We finished 24-12.  Very impressive.  I don't think it accurately represents what we can expect from this team going forward.  We had the element of surprise on our side.  If this roster remains the same, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us finish with a worse record next season. 

Saw it happen a bit with Evan Turner's Philly team back in 2012.  They overachieved into the playoffs as an 8th seed.  Upset a Rose-less Bulls team in Round 1.  Took a veteran Celtic team to 7 games in Round 2.   Finished below .500 the next year and missed the playoffs.  They've been tanking since. 

Talentless teams can't sustain long-term success off effort and great coaching. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 04:48:44 AM by LarBrd33 »