Author Topic: Moral Victories  (Read 4977 times)

Moral Victories
« on: April 19, 2015, 01:22:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's my 12345th post so I figured it should be something pessimistic.  I read earlier that according to oddsmakers a Boston victory would be the biggest upset in the history of basketball.   Assuming that doesn't happen, what's some moral victories you want to see in this series?

Last time we made the playoffs with a below .500 record (2004), we were blown out by double digit points in all 4 games:

G              Date       Opponent   Tm Opp

1   Sat Apr 17 2004 Indiana Pacers L 88 104
2   Tue Apr 20 2004 Indiana Pacers L 90 103
3   Fri Apr 23 2004 Indiana Pacers L 85 108
4   Sun Apr 25 2004 Indiana Pacers L 75  90

Same thing happened to the Bucks vs LeBron in 2013:

G              Date   Opponent   Tm Opp

1   Sun Apr 21 2013 Miami Heat L 87 110
2   Tue Apr 23 2013 Miami Heat L 86  98
3   Thu Apr 25 2013 Miami Heat L 91 104
4   Sun Apr 28 2013 Miami Heat L 77  88

I'm assuming we get swept.  I just want to see us lose a couple of these games by less than double digits.  I'd rather not have the kids embarrassed.  It could ruin their trade value.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 01:31:18 PM by LarBrd33 »

Re: Moral Victories
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 01:26:37 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Things i'd like to see happen in this series:

- Smart has one very good game offensively and has a good series overall.

- Win our first game at home. I want them to experience what it's like to win in Boston in the playoffs.

- Sullinger plays well enough to earn meaningful minutes.

- Celtics in 6

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 01:38:31 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
We need to play well enough to attract free agents. That would be the one big moral victory we could get from this series. With improving trade value being secondary.

We need to show that we still have the championship atmosphere of the big 3 days.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 01:42:43 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
We need to play well enough to attract free agents. That would be the one big moral victory we could get from this series. With improving trade value being secondary.

exactly.. of course we want the win but if they can play Clev really tough for 6-7 games they will attract with great coaching, direction, and notable trade assets..

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 01:51:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
It's my 12345th post so I figured it should be something pessimistic.  I read earlier that according to oddsmakers a Boston victory would be the biggest upset in the history of basketball.   Assuming that doesn't happen, what's some moral victories you want to see in this series?

Last time we made the playoffs with a below .500 record (2004), we were blown out by double digit points in all 4 games:

G              Date       Opponent   Tm Opp

1   Sat Apr 17 2004 Indiana Pacers L 88 104
2   Tue Apr 20 2004 Indiana Pacers L 90 103
3   Fri Apr 23 2004 Indiana Pacers L 85 108
4   Sun Apr 25 2004 Indiana Pacers L 75  90

Same thing happened to the Bucks vs LeBron in 2013:

G              Date   Opponent   Tm Opp

1   Sun Apr 21 2013 Miami Heat L 87 110
2   Tue Apr 23 2013 Miami Heat L 86  98
3   Thu Apr 25 2013 Miami Heat L 91 104
4   Sun Apr 28 2013 Miami Heat L 77  88

I'm assuming we get swept.  I just want to see us lose a couple of these games by less than double digits.  I'd rather not have the kids embarrassed.  It could ruin their trade value.

I don't feel lik e the Celts backed into the playoffs this time around though.  Theyve played well enough to be here.  I just hope they continue to look like they belong.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 01:59:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's my 12345th post so I figured it should be something pessimistic.  I read earlier that according to oddsmakers a Boston victory would be the biggest upset in the history of basketball.   

Bigger than Denver over Seattle in 94?  Seattle was a better team than Cleveland and considered a championship favorite, and Denver was just 2 games better than our record.  Maybe the 7 game series distorts the odds a little bit.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 02:42:35 PM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Work them hard and long enough, so Cleveland is worn out a bit going into the rest of the playoffs.  Anything can happen, as long at it ends with Lebron not winning, it is a great end to the season.  Hopefully, someone get them out before the finals so I don't have to listen to Marc Jackson and Van Gundy swoon over him like a couple junior high school girls with a crush.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 02:52:38 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
For me, a moral victory is winning at least one game and finishing the series with a less than ten points per game overall negative point differential.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 03:01:54 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'll never count BOS out, no matter how it looks on paper.

I've been a fan too long, and learned so much about not only Celtic's history - but basketball history in general - to count BOS out.

If BOS plays the way they've played the last couple of months we'll be in every game, and could very well get an upset.

It's happened before (See FWF's reference to SEA-DEN in 94)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XGt25SRmdg

As BOS proves to be a resilient foe over the next few weeks (and beyond), I'd fully expect any wise NBA player to take notice of our tradition, our coaching, our GM's work in setting us up for the future, AND our young talent here.

I'd also expect the same wise NBA players to take notice of how our salaries look - Danny has been smart and wise with our resources.

A Moral Victory to most other NBA teams is meaningless. But to BOS, and our rich tradition AND bright future - it means something.

I'd pretty much given up on the season when one of my favorite all-time Celtics in Rajon Rondo was traded for a hill of beans. And then they traded Jeff Green, which was also a favorite of mine.

But these Celtics pulled together, fought hard, PLAYED hard and got to number 7. Many of us here thought that BOS "could" get the 7th seed IF we had Rajon and Jeff Green.

What a season it's been, and we still have some games to play.

Again - to the wise NBA player that may be looking for another team in the future - BOS is an attractive destination, if they want to achieve something meaningful. We've got SO MANY moral victories, this season AND over the history of this franchise.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 03:22:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
moral victory? the celtics sweep the cavs 4 straight.

oh...you meant,  moral victory, not as in what would be just and right in the universe, but moral victory as is "the celtics get their butts handed to them, but with a minimum of humiliation."

personally, i prefer the former of the two.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 03:34:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Moral victory #1 - We won the first quarter on National television.  Way to go.  Hopefully opposing team scouts turn off the TV and miss the rest of this  game where we inevitably get dominated.

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 03:36:07 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Moral victory #1 - We won the first quarter on National television.  Way to go.  Hopefully opposing team scouts turn off the TV and miss the rest of this  game where we inevitably get dominated.

LOL c'mon man stop playing the pessimist role. You play it well.

For once, let's have some faith.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 03:36:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Winning a game would be a moral victory.

Hanging close with the Cavs for most of the games, even if they end in a double digit loss.

Getting a few signature performances from the more exciting players on the team - Bradley, Smart, Thomas, Olynyk.  I hope one of them goes for 40 or averages 25 points for the series or something.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 03:58:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

LOL c'mon man stop playing the pessimist role. You play it well.

For once, let's have some faith.
Being realistic here.  This team has no chance in hell.

Moral victory 2:  Marcus smart played rather well for a rookie. Didn't come in scared.  Learned some lessons.

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 04:06:43 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
Nice.   Now finish the half with something