Author Topic: David Aldridge on the C's  (Read 6038 times)

Re: David Aldridge on the C's
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 01:14:59 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I wouldn't mind trading picks to go higher in a draft. I believe that the number you pick at is what is the total crapshoot. However, drafting the player itself isn't. Sure there's injury risk (ala Oden), but that's true for any player. Even established stars.

Last year, I would've given up an awful lot (pick/s and established players) if it meant we would land Wiggins. Even if at the time, he hadn't played a single minute in the NBA.
- LilRip

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 01:22:34 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Some good stuff from an interview with David Aldridge on the Celtics Beat podcast.

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/5/3/c/53c2a6e48960fe4c/celtics_beat_419_DA_DM.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1ce3dae902ea1d06ca8e33d7c85fe02e&c_id=8794306

Some interesting things
1. He thinks that the C's could trade into the top 5 using their future picks
2. He thinks the C's could sign a good free agent in the future and how Doc + KG speaking highly of the organization could help.

I always thought that the C's wouldn't be able to trade up into the top 10 in the draft but this gives me more hope.
We may be able to trade into the top 10.  Buts what's is going to cost.  I'm betting a lot of fans (those that want something for nothing) won't like the answer.
People seem to be up and arms that we made the playoffs and don't have the opportunity to draft a potential franchise player this year. With how strongly people believe that a top 10 pick could be a difference maker then they should be completely willing to deal future picks to move up.

Personally I think if we can get into the top 8 even if it costs us a Brooklyn pick next year we absolutely should.
And that's fine.  There are lots of folks that don't want to trade the nets picks for anything.  And as for getting into the top ten this year, it has to be because DA likes a particular player that is there.  A guy he thinks will be a steal, even in the top 10.

I trust Ainge in this. If he sees a player in the top 5 he believes is worth trading our pick and the Nets picks for, I support it. It will be interesting , as the Sixers could be a trading partner if they end up looking at a big man as the best player available at their pick, considering they have Noel and Embiid and Saric already, could get a great guard at 16 plus the Nets picks in the future, I can see Phili going for such a deal, but would they do it with a team in their own division, and a long time rival at that?

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 01:23:40 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
There is no way I'm sending a Brooklyn pick without putting high lottery protections on it. Trading it away and having that pick turn into Ben Simmons would be disastrous.

I'd also be much inclined to trade our 2016 1st then I would Dallas' 1st. It's all about forward thinking here, and the odds of Dallas slipping into the lottery in the tough west, with their aging roster, vs us not making the playoffs in the weak east, with our ascending team, shouldn't be forgotten.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 01:28:53 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 01:26:28 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
IMO this is the strongest lottery I've seen in years.. Mostly because the quality of bigs and the possibility of them to contribute immediately.. Also think Henzonja is the real deal..

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 01:27:01 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I still insist Danny's not using draft picks to move up to get a guy that isn't a Durant, Lebron, Duncan type player.

he will use these picks to trade for established players.

I disagree. The great thing about trading up into the draft is that you are just trading one future asset (a draft choice) for another (a rookie), with almost no financial consequence. You aren't taking much of a risk. One is no more risky than the other. Both draft choices, and rookies can turn out to be more or less valuable than you thought, but rookies are more tangible assets, and we have to go for it sooner or later. Once you trade for or sign a star, you are committing to a long term max deal, and if you bet wrong, you aren't winning a title.

This is a very good draft. If Danny gets a shot at Towns, Winslow or D'Angelo Russell, he should go for it, even if it costs a lot. They will definitely be very good, and they might very well become great.

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 01:49:32 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Some good stuff from an interview with David Aldridge on the Celtics Beat podcast.

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/5/3/c/53c2a6e48960fe4c/celtics_beat_419_DA_DM.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1ce3dae902ea1d06ca8e33d7c85fe02e&c_id=8794306

Some interesting things
2. He thinks the C's could sign a good free agent in the future and how Doc + KG speaking highly of the organization could help.

I always thought that the C's wouldn't be able to trade up into the top 10 in the draft but this gives me more hope.
We may be able to trade into the top 10.  Buts what's is going to cost.  I'm betting a lot of fans (those that want something for nothing) won't like the answer.
People seem to be up and arms that we made the playoffs and don't have the opportunity to draft a potential franchise player this year. With how strongly people believe that a top 10 pick could be a difference maker then they should be completely willing to deal future picks to move up.

Personally I think if we can get into the top 8 even if it costs us a Brooklyn pick next year we absolutely should.

Top 10 shouldn't cost us an unprotected Brookyn pick.  Top 5 should.  If you're trading into the 6-10 range, and giving up pick 16 this year, it's reasonable to protect for top 3-5.  It could even be sandwiched -- so protected 1-3 and 15-30, since we have Brooklyn's pick 3 years in a row.

I think the best trade partner on draft night is Detroit.  They should be at 8, around where we could pick up WCS.  Detroit wants to keep Monroe and has Drummond, so WCS is a terrible pick for them.  They want a SF, but the top two at that position (Winslow and Johnson) could be gone by then, so trading back makes sense.  I could see 16 and the Dallas pick working well, or maybe 16, the Minny pick, and Young (because I think Young still has value.)
That's much too little to jump to 8.  In the last draft, Chicago had to give up #16 and #19 to move up to #11.   The Magic traded the #12 and a Philly's 2017 1st to move up to #10.  If Detroit really wanted Monroe they could have just paid him rather than letting him become a UFA.  At #8, Detroit should have at least one of Winslow, Johnson, Hezonja or Porzingis available. 

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 02:03:01 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

Some interesting things

And that's fine.  There are lots of folks that don't want to trade the nets picks for anything.  And as for getting into the top ten this year, it has to be because DA likes a particular player that is there.  A guy he thinks will be a steal, even in the top 10.

I trust Ainge in this. If he sees a player in the top 5 he believes is worth trading our pick and the Nets picks for, I support it. It will be interesting , as the Sixers could be a trading partner if they end up looking at a big man as the best player available at their pick, considering they have Noel and Embiid and Saric already, could get a great guard at 16 plus the Nets picks in the future, I can see Phili going for such a deal, but would they do it with a team in their own division, and a long time rival at that?
If Philly drafts another big, I don't think they'd trade any of them immediately offer.  They'll want to see how they develop individually and together.  There is no guarantee Noel or Towns can play PF.  Embiid's health is still a question.  Saric isn't coming for another year or two.  The last thing they are going to want to do is trade a big to Boston and have that big become the best of the bunch. 

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 02:49:18 AM »

Offline 255 Rings

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
We should just package a ton of our picks to move into top 10 territory this draft. I'm tired of holding out on these assets waiting for those supposed 'established players' to become available. Do any of you realize worse teams like the Knicks and Lakers can just outbid us with one measly lottery pick vs. out bundle of middling 11-16 range picks? That's how we were unable to nab Love, because Wiggins alone was worth more than Marcus Smart + other players that haven't shown glimpses of becoming stars. I say we trade our pick, Clippers pick, Next years' BKN pick and even their 2018 one, heck even some of ours for that draft to land a stud like Justise Winslow or Cauley-Stein. Are we just gonna hope that the Nets suck so we can try to land on the lottery via their incompetence? Nah man, let's make moves THIS DRAFT! With mere role players we're in the playoffs, albeit in a weak conference, but we still made it, over IND, MIA and DET, teams that were projected to be playoff contenders. Let's give Brad a real talent that he can groom himself like Winslow, WCS or Oubre Jr (who is raw but has uspide). Get over the whole dream scenario of buliding a super-team, sometimes multiple stars don'e mesh well (see 2013 Nets, 2013 Lakers). I don't mind waiting a few years and become a contender that can last about 6-7 years contending rather than a quick Big Three with a 2-3 year title window. Let's be like the Spurs, Warriors and Hawks!

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 03:22:45 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
We should just package a ton of our picks to move into top 10 territory this draft. I'm tired of holding out on these assets waiting for those supposed 'established players' to become available. Do any of you realize worse teams like the Knicks and Lakers can just outbid us with one measly lottery pick vs. out bundle of middling 11-16 range picks? That's how we were unable to nab Love, because Wiggins alone was worth more than Marcus Smart + other players that haven't shown glimpses of becoming stars. I say we trade our pick, Clippers pick, Next years' BKN pick and even their 2018 one, heck even some of ours for that draft to land a stud like Justise Winslow or Cauley-Stein. Are we just gonna hope that the Nets suck so we can try to land on the lottery via their incompetence? Nah man, let's make moves THIS DRAFT! With mere role players we're in the playoffs, albeit in a weak conference, but we still made it, over IND, MIA and DET, teams that were projected to be playoff contenders. Let's give Brad a real talent that he can groom himself like Winslow, WCS or Oubre Jr (who is raw but has uspide). Get over the whole dream scenario of buliding a super-team, sometimes multiple stars don'e mesh well (see 2013 Nets, 2013 Lakers). I don't mind waiting a few years and become a contender that can last about 6-7 years contending rather than a quick Big Three with a 2-3 year title window. Let's be like the Spurs, Warriors and Hawks!

Overreacting much? You'll say that now, and when we trade all that to move up 8 spots in the draft to get WCS who plays 15-20 mins a game and does nothing except block shots his rookie year here, and that 2016 Brooklyn pick you traded become #4 in the next draft and the 2018 pick become #7 in that draft, you'll say "DA should be fired for trading those picks for a poor-mans Tyson Chandler!". The Love trade happened because Wiggins/Parker/Embiid was considered one of the best top 3 groups in recent draft history. MIN was gonna have to take Boston's package, because GS wasn't giving Thompson. But then LeBron decided to go back to Cleveland, the League gave the Cavs the 1st pick in the most hyped draft in years, and the rest is history. And the funny part is, it's very plausible he opts out after this season and signs here anyway.

But that happened because of the perceived value of that draft class and having a team in the top 3 that wanted to trade that very valuable pick for an established player. In a weaker draft, under normal circumstances it's not every year the team with the 1st pick has enough other talent on their team for a star player to want to go there, and for that team to see more value in trading for an established veteran instead of drafting a blue-chip prospect. PHI wouldn't make a play for Love, because then they become decidedly mediocre with not much recourse to change that. And what happens if the next draft class is like the 2013 one, and that top 3 pick your talking about isn't worth as much? I would even contend some teams would find more value in a bunch of our picks that look to be at least one or two lottery picks and a couple of our young guys than one top 3 pick because your gonna suck anyway. Might at well bottom out yourself and get as many extra chances to add talent that you can.

As for moving up in this draft. Detroit is a good fit. SVG is gonna want to make a run at the playoffs next year, and he's 90% sure he's losing Monroe. He'll consider Sullinger/Olynyk, #16, #26 and a 2016 PHI 2nd for that pick. Might even take it if he knows Monroe isn't coming back for sure. Maybe add one of the MIN picks or replace the LAC pick with Young if you have to. This idea were gonna have to trade unprotected BRK picks to move up a few slots is stupid, Ainge won't do that unless it gets him a top 5 talent. Utah is a stealth trade partner too, something like Bradley, #16 and the LAC pick could work with them.

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 07:02:59 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
I'm not saying this because he's my countryman. We must sacrifice few future picks to move up and draft Mario Hezonja. He's a killer. We need this kind of player...
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 07:28:20 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

Some interesting things

I can see how he thinks in theory the #5 pick may hold the same value as 2015 #16 and the Cs and Nets 2016s but who is really going to make that trade with the Celtics? In the NFL it happens because 3 players can have more value combined then one. This is not true in the NBA. You take 1 super star over 3 allstars, 1 allstar over 3 role players every day of the week. I can not see any of the top 8 teams being willing to drop out of the top half of this lottery for future draft picks.

I do agree that this team is more attractive to FA then many people may think. On top of the history the Cs have a great front office, coach , and a young hard working roster. If a young player is looking to step out of the shadow of teamates (ala James Harden) this is an attractive team. Jimmy Butler would be a prime example though I doubt he leaves the Bulls.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 07:30:11 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I'm not saying this because he's my countryman. We must sacrifice few future picks to move up and draft Mario Hezonja. He's a killer. We need this kind of player...
I think a lot of teams in that #6-9 draft range need shooting and are going to be very high on Hezonja. I think he'd be great for the Charlotte Bobcats or the Detroit Pistons. The Sacramento Kings is another one.Given how many of those teams in mid-lottery need shooters, I think Hezonja is going to go very quickly after the top 5 are off the table. #6 or #7.

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2015, 07:41:55 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
Agree. I would trade #16, #28, 2016. worse of Nets/Mavs pick for Hezonja
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 08:06:08 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72

Some interesting things

I can see how he thinks in theory the #5 pick may hold the same value as 2015 #16 and the Cs and Nets 2016s but who is really going to make that trade with the Celtics? In the NFL it happens because 3 players can have more value combined then one. This is not true in the NBA. You take 1 super star over 3 allstars, 1 allstar over 3 role players every day of the week. I can not see any of the top 8 teams being willing to drop out of the top half of this lottery for future draft picks.

I do agree that this team is more attractive to FA then many people may think. On top of the history the Cs have a great front office, coach , and a young hard working roster. If a young player is looking to step out of the shadow of teamates (ala James Harden) this is an attractive team. Jimmy Butler would be a prime example though I doubt he leaves the Bulls.
I wonder how bad the relationship between Thibs and their owners/GM has been.

If Thibs leaves the team could dismantle. Noah is a wreck physically, Gasol is a net negative defense included, Rose seems to be a sad story. This team is not a contender, unless everybody is healthy, which never happens. Bulter was also officially not happy with the cheap extension offer he got.

The Bulls will be a show this offseason. I hope we will be able to snatch Butler.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2015, 08:28:20 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am perfectly fine with Ainge making a draft day trade to move up and get a targeted player.  If it cost future picks, so be it.  That's why the Celtics have them.

I am against the early trade up for a particular pick (unless it is top 2).