Author Topic: David Aldridge on the C's  (Read 6037 times)

David Aldridge on the C's
« on: April 19, 2015, 11:31:49 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Some good stuff from an interview with David Aldridge on the Celtics Beat podcast.

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/5/3/c/53c2a6e48960fe4c/celtics_beat_419_DA_DM.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1ce3dae902ea1d06ca8e33d7c85fe02e&c_id=8794306

Some interesting things
1. He thinks that the C's could trade into the top 5 using their future picks
2. He thinks the C's could sign a good free agent in the future and how Doc + KG speaking highly of the organization could help.

I always thought that the C's wouldn't be able to trade up into the top 10 in the draft but this gives me more hope.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Re: David Aldridge on the C's
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 11:43:48 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Some good stuff from an interview with David Aldridge on the Celtics Beat podcast.

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/5/3/c/53c2a6e48960fe4c/celtics_beat_419_DA_DM.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1ce3dae902ea1d06ca8e33d7c85fe02e&c_id=8794306

Some interesting things
2. He thinks the C's could sign a good free agent in the future and how Doc + KG speaking highly of the organization could help.

I always thought that the C's wouldn't be able to trade up into the top 10 in the draft but this gives me more hope.
We may be able to trade into the top 10.  Buts what's is going to cost.  I'm betting a lot of fans (those that want something for nothing) won't like the answer.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 11:49:50 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Some interesting things

We may be able to trade into the top 10.  Buts what's is going to cost.  I'm betting a lot of fans (those that want something for nothing) won't like the answer.
People seem to be up and arms that we made the playoffs and don't have the opportunity to draft a potential franchise player this year. With how strongly people believe that a top 10 pick could be a difference maker then they should be completely willing to deal future picks to move up.

Personally I think if we can get into the top 8 even if it costs us a Brooklyn pick next year we absolutely should.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 11:54:11 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Some interesting things

People seem to be up and arms that we made the playoffs and don't have the opportunity to draft a potential franchise player this year. With how strongly people believe that a top 10 pick could be a difference maker then they should be completely willing to deal future picks to move up.

Personally I think if we can get into the top 8 even if it costs us a Brooklyn pick next year we absolutely should.
And that's fine.  There are lots of folks that don't want to trade the nets picks for anything.  And as for getting into the top ten this year, it has to be because DA likes a particular player that is there.  A guy he thinks will be a steal, even in the top 10.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 12:03:09 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm quite averse at using future picks for trying to simply trade-up in a draft. Our future picks are quite valuable to be wasted on something as potential, and that's all you're doing when trading up in a draft. There are no sure things, some seem safer bets than others, but that's all you're doing, trading for potential.

Draft picks should be used to try and grab established players. I'd be very very wary in what we give up just for a chance at some top talent of a draft who hasn't set foot on the NBA floor.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:23:10 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 12:12:57 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Omg that guys annoying but good listen
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 12:14:52 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Some interesting things

Top 10 shouldn't cost us an unprotected Brookyn pick.  Top 5 should.  If you're trading into the 6-10 range, and giving up pick 16 this year, it's reasonable to protect for top 3-5.  It could even be sandwiched -- so protected 1-3 and 15-30, since we have Brooklyn's pick 3 years in a row.

I think the best trade partner on draft night is Detroit.  They should be at 8, around where we could pick up WCS.  Detroit wants to keep Monroe and has Drummond, so WCS is a terrible pick for them.  They want a SF, but the top two at that position (Winslow and Johnson) could be gone by then, so trading back makes sense.  I could see 16 and the Dallas pick working well, or maybe 16, the Minny pick, and Young (because I think Young still has value.)

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 12:19:58 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I'm quite averse at using future picks for trying to simply trade-up in a draft. Our future picks are quite valuable to be wasted on something as potential, and that's all you're doing when trading up in a draft. There are no sure things, some seem safer bets than others, but that's all you're doing, trading for potential.

Draft picks should be used to try and grab established players. I'd be very very wary in what we give up just for a chance at some top talent of a draft who hasn't set food on the NBA floor.

Firstly, we have so many future picks that I disagree.  But secondly, even if I agreed, it's a lot easier to trade for an established star if you can offer a team a top 5 draftee instead of a collection of future picks.  It creates more certainty for the team trading away the star, and someone to instantly market.  If we trade futire picks to move up to grab Winslow, for example, we'd have a much better player to offer a team trading it's star.  And if we still can't find that trade, then we have a better young player to build around.  We have so much volume right now that we need to convert it into higher quality, be it picks or established players.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 12:23:47 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
I would trade our pick this year , the clippers pick, all our 2nds and the nets next year, to draft Winslow. Even throw in Sully if we have to.

Guys a hybrid of Harden and Khawi Leonard. Guy already has NBA size. Has just won a championship. 6'7 220 I believe. Put him next to Smart and James Young for the future and our front court looks set.

Smart 6'4 220
Young 6'6
Winslow 6'7
Kelly 7'
DeAndre Jordan 7'

Everyone surrounding DeAndre can shoot, we improve defensively with DeAndre and Winslow.

That's a contending team in the east next year. Maybe make a run at Jimmy Butler or Kevin Love. If we get rid of Gerald Wallace.

Smart
Jimmy
Winslow
Kelly
DeAndre

Championship contender  :). The First one is more realistic though. This offseason will be fun.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 12:24:46 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29

Draft picks should be used to try and grab established players. I'd be very very wary in what we give up just for a chance at some top talent of a draft who hasn't set food on the NBA floor.

Firstly, we have so many future picks that I disagree.  But secondly, even if I agreed, it's a lot easier to trade for an established star if you can offer a team a top 5 draftee instead of a collection of future picks.  It creates more certainty for the team trading away the star, and someone to instantly market.  If we trade futire picks to move up to grab Winslow, for example, we'd have a much better player to offer a team trading it's star.  And if we still can't find that trade, then we have a better young player to build around.  We have so much volume right now that we need to convert it into higher quality, be it picks or established players.

I badly want Winslow. This kid will be special.

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 12:26:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I am interested in trading up for Justice Winslow or Stanley Johnson.

Winslow would be a hard get at this stage but it looks like Stanley Johnson might slip to the back end of the top 10. I think the price for trading up to there would be workable. I'd be happy to try and make a deal for that if S.Johnson is there on the day.

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 12:30:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I badly want Winslow. This kid will be special.

Me too.  But accordingly I also think if we could trade up to draft Winslow it would be much easier to trade for an established star than offering a grab bag of picks.

I mean, if Danny could convince Kawhi to sign in Boston, he'd then have to negotiate a sign-and-trade with the Spurs (so they didn't match his offer sheet.)  I bet having Winslow makes that conversation much more possible than saying "Here's a lot of picks."

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 12:33:50 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I said averse, not that I wouldn't do it. I'm just not all gun-ho about doing it. How many future draft picks? Which ones? I'm not going to go all in, so it really depends. I'd have to be very convinced to do it. I mean, we can't look at this as we have a ton of picks, what's a few thrown in here and there? We got picks to waste... that'd be a mistake. It has potential of turning what looks like a good road to rebuilding into a disaster just because we couldn't be patient.

Consolidation it is something that needs to happen, that's for sure and something I've mentioned constantly, I don't think that simply trading up is what needs to be done... at least on this particular draft. We should have plenty of roster space, so we still have room to maneuver.

Let's use this trade deadline as an example, one late first rounder and a player that was of no value for the Celtics landed us Isaiah Thomas. So while these sorts of opportunities don't come along often, there should come more frequently for us during the next 5+ years just because of the amount of draft picks we have.

One thing about future draft picks also, they don't get injured (for trade purposes). I'd be very very careful on what we give up and who we target. It's quite risky.

In the end it's has to be a balanced effort. I'm just not set on the mindset that we have to trade up to certain draft range for the sake of it... because players are supposedly talented there.

It has to be more specific, it has to be almost a guaranteed bet because with all our draft assets, the potential to go after an established player in a trade should he become available is quite good. So I'd be quite careful.

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 12:50:45 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I still insist Danny's not using draft picks to move up to get a guy that isn't a Durant, Lebron, Duncan type player.

he will use these picks to trade for established players.

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 01:07:34 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I would give up the Brooklyn pick next year along with our first this year to get any of Winslow, Johnson or WCS.

We don't know how bad Brooklyn is going to be so gambling that one of the 3 listed above will be better than who we get with the Brooklyn pick is a good gamble.

I do agree that trading the picks for a star player is the optimal route. However, a lot more picks are traded than star players and those star players cost a lot more than trading for picks. I am confident enough in Ainge's ability to draft talent and Stevens ability to develop it that I think I would prefer going the less expensive route with the greater potential payoff.