Poll

Would you pass on Frank Kaminsky if available?

Yes
17 (37.8%)
No
28 (62.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Poll: At 16, Would you pass on Frank Kaminsky if available?  (Read 8276 times)

Re: Poll: At 16, Would you pass on Frank Kaminsky if available?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 02:07:57 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
It'd be insane to pass on him at 16.

I'm a big best available guy, for the most part (though with bigs sometimes I am okay reaching a bit since they can be expensive to sign as FA).  I know we have Olynyk already but Kaminsky looks both a bit different and really good.  He looks a bit more willing to shoot and score.  He also is more of a physical player and a bit of a better rebounder I think.  I don't think he's quite the ball handler and passer Olynyk is though.

They both would be great, even playing together.  He's just made for a Stevens offense, just like Olynyk.  I'd be thrilled if we landed him.

I think we'd have to trade up though and I still can be in favor of that, in a deal similar to how we traded up for Olynyk.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 02:18:26 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
He reminds of a rich man's KO. Quite willing to assert his will offensively, whereas KO is too [dang] timid at this point in time at least.  KO's still young enough and he's only a 2nd year big, but when the shot's there, take the shot and stop with the pump fake.  KO frustrates me because he has a pretty unique set of skills for his size (as does FK), but he's not ready mentally to use them.  It's a league of men and he's still a dude.

FK's a better defender too.

As for FK at 16, I'd be thrilled.

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 02:26:36 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
kaminsky has potential, but is not what we need, we're already stacked at PF, and if we wanted to we could possibly monroe in free agency, who will be a better bet than kaminsky. and as others have noted, kaminsky's game is indeed very similar to KO - maybe kaminsky's a bit better inside, but KO has the superior handle, which complements his outside play.

and i really like the way KO has played since the injury, he is looking more confident and decisive by the day, and he seems a little tougher too. he catches a lot of flak on these boards, but his numbers are actually strikingly similar to guys like chandler parsons, nikola mirotic (who is actually a year older than KO), and toni kukoc.

if KO can cut back on his fouls he'll also make his life a lot easier.

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 02:41:56 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
High floor/low ceiling guy. That said, I wouldn't be against selecting him at #16.

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 02:43:10 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nope.

Frankly, I'd be shocked if he's still around at 16.

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 08:45:57 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think I would but I would have to see who is available.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 09:14:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I would, not a negative reflection on Frank but he has an eerily similar skillset to Olynyk.
I kinda think KO would have been absolutely owned by both Kentucky and Duke. Frank wasn't.

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 01:14:52 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Probably, but I'd rather trade down because I think he's a guy that teams behind us might be willing to give up a lot for.

I actually wonder if the Kings will take him to put next to Cousins with a top 10 pick. They are so weird in the front office.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 01:27:10 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think I shop the pick. Kaminsky is probably the BPA there at #16, and perhaps someone out there would make a nice offer.

Short aside, happy belated birthday to KO. He turned 24 yesterday, and is two years and two weeks older than Kaminsky.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 02:13:45 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I would say he's the most NBA ready within the group of players he is ranked between, but there are players in that range(at pick 16) who have higher upside.

Since we already have a ton of average to slightly better then average power forwards, I would hope we would go with someone with a higher ceiling.

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 02:27:35 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Everything is conditional, but for now I voted yes, to pass.

I think Frank is going to be reduced to an Olynyk clone once he is playing against the speed, size and skill in the NBA. He'd be a nice guy to have, but I'd rather swing for the higher ceiling.

looney, Booker, Poeltl and probably Lyles would be guys I would target first.

*edit. Changed my vote to no after learning Poeltl is going back to school. I think the guys I just listed will all be off the board at 16.

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 04:15:49 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I would, not a negative reflection on Frank but he has an eerily similar skillset to Olynyk.

True.  But I think they can play together.  Frank plays bigger than KO.  I know that's not saying much thou.... ;D

I just can't get passed the fact that he outplayed the two top bigs in the tournament.  And it wasn't even close.  IMO, He was clearly the best big on both games.  I think that's a better Resume than KO's  or Sully's for that matter when we drafted them.

How about we get the guy that beat his team... Tyus Jones. We do need another ballhandler that's not Pressey... or Evan Turnover

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2015, 04:20:26 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Everything is conditional, but for now I voted yes, to pass.

I think Frank is going to be reduced to an Olynyk clone once he is playing against the speed, size and skill in the NBA. He'd be a nice guy to have, but I'd rather swing for the higher ceiling.

looney, Booker, Poeltl and probably Lyles would be guys I would target first.

*edit. Changed my vote to no after learning Poeltl is going back to school. I think the guys I just listed will all be off the board at 16.

Looney, Booker, and Lyles... I'd say neither, trade this pick.

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 04:53:08 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I think he will be KO v.2.0.. but that saying he will not get to Celtics at 16... played too well in March and wont get past 12..

More like Troy Murphy 2.0  ;D

As for the OP/topic, yes, you gotta take him
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2015, 05:01:50 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
The NBA big man talent pool is so watered down right now---Kaminsky would be a steal at 16....Honestly, the league's entire talent is nowhere near the level it has been in the past---except for the Point Guard position.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.