Author Topic: Danny's great trade, playoff Rondo  (Read 10410 times)

Re: Danny's great trade, playoff Rondo
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2015, 09:04:35 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
i don't think we got all that much from the trade, honestly. 

Crowder
1st rd pick from Dallas next season (potential lottery pick)
2nd rd pick Minny 2016 (likely high 2nd rd pick)
2nd rd pick Minny 2017 (likely high 2nd rd pick)
12.9M Trade Exception (a trade exception is how we essentially got Zeller and a 1st, with the latter flipped for Thomas)

Some dominoes that occurred...

Allowed us to give Smart more playing time.

We probably wouldn't have traded for Thomas with Rondo still on the team. Instead, a potential deal might have been completed during the summer. However, that's no certainty.

We didn't risk overpaying Rondo or losing him without compensation.
If we hadn't traded Rondo, I think Ainge still would have trade for Thomas.  The following lineup looks pretty good and balanced to me. 

Rondo/Thomas
Bradley/Smart
Green/Turner
Olynk/Bass
Zeller/Sully

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2015, 09:30:31 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Crowder
12.9M Trade Exception (a trade exception is how we essentially got Zeller and a 1st, with the latter flipped for Thomas)

We probably wouldn't have traded for Thomas with Rondo still on the team. Instead, a potential deal might have been completed during the summer. However, that's no certainty.

If we hadn't traded Rondo, I think Ainge still would have trade for Thomas.  The following lineup looks pretty good and balanced to me. 

Rondo/Thomas
Bradley/Smart
Green/Turner
Olynk/Bass
Zeller/Sully

Maybe in NBA2k it does, but not in the real world where players need and want minutes. To think Thomas, Rondo, Bradley, and Smart would be happy splitting 96 minutes between them is a real stretch.

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2015, 09:34:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Crowder

Rondo/Thomas
Bradley/Smart
Green/Turner
Olynk/Bass
Zeller/Sully

yeah sure.  Celtics build a 10 point lead with IT on the floor and with 5 minutes left, Rondo comes in and we end up losing by 6

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2015, 10:10:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Playoff ..

Now simply know as......"show-off Rondo "

To soon become ....

Laker -Rondo     ;D

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2015, 10:38:30 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
A few things.

1) Rondo is gone
2) Rondo is not the player he once was
3) Rondo unique strengths/weaknesses seem to really limit what teams he can work well on
4) We were playing pretty poorly when Rondo was here
5) We are playing some really nice basketball since rondo is gone, and I love our current guys

Despite all of the above, it's still very hard for me to see Rondo in another uniform. 

Basketball is a business of course, and for business reasons Rondo had to go - he didn't fit well with the group of guys that were being put around him, his career position didn't suit the (likely at the time) lottery aspirations of the team, and his personality was probably a bit hardcore to put a group of young prospects around. 

Trading Rondo was a move that made the most sense for both parties, but it still hurts.  Thinking back to all those moments with Rondo, Pierce and KG celebrating together...thinking of all the headaches he gave Lebron's teams over the years as a triple double machine...thinking of all those insane passes he used to make (one of the only players ever who made a pass as impressive a highlight as a dunk!).

It's actually sad for me seeing Rondo struggle the way he has in Dallas.  In one way as a Celtics fan it makes losing him hurt a little bit less, but in another way as a Rondo fan it makes me sad to see he's not finding success and that he's copping so my flak.

Rondo was one of the last in a line of true, old-school point guards who score 8 points and still completely dominate a game (a series, even).  There was point in time when you make an argument that Rondo was the best PG in the NBA, and people wouldn't laugh at you.

I hope he one day recovers that form.

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2015, 11:56:15 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Crowder

Rondo/Thomas
Bradley/Smart
Green/Turner
Olynk/Bass
Zeller/Sully

Maybe in NBA2k it does, but not in the real world where players need and want minutes. To think Thomas, Rondo, Bradley, and Smart would be happy splitting 96 minutes between them is a real stretch.
I don't think splitting play time would have mattered to Ainge.  He would have made the Thomas trade because it was good value and told Stevens to make it work.  I'd break up the 96 minutes something like this: Rondo 28, Bradley 24, Smart 22 and Thomas 22.  I think there would be times that you could get a few more minutes by playing small ball.  Turner would take the biggest minutes reduction because he'd only be backup SF.  I think the lineup would have worked pretty well this season.  In the offseason, I would trade Bradley and move Smart to the starting lineup. 

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2015, 12:49:23 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
A few things.

1) Rondo is gone
2) Rondo is not the player he once was
3) Rondo unique strengths/weaknesses seem to really limit what teams he can work well on
4) We were playing pretty poorly when Rondo was here
5) We are playing some really nice basketball since rondo is gone, and I love our current guys

Despite all of the above, it's still very hard for me to see Rondo in another uniform. 

Basketball is a business of course, and for business reasons Rondo had to go - he didn't fit well with the group of guys that were being put around him, his career position didn't suit the (likely at the time) lottery aspirations of the team, and his personality was probably a bit hardcore to put a group of young prospects around. 

Trading Rondo was a move that made the most sense for both parties, but it still hurts.  Thinking back to all those moments with Rondo, Pierce and KG celebrating together...thinking of all the headaches he gave Lebron's teams over the years as a triple double machine...thinking of all those insane passes he used to make (one of the only players ever who made a pass as impressive a highlight as a dunk!).

It's actually sad for me seeing Rondo struggle the way he has in Dallas.  In one way as a Celtics fan it makes losing him hurt a little bit less, but in another way as a Rondo fan it makes me sad to see he's not finding success and that he's copping so my flak.

Rondo was one of the last in a line of true, old-school point guards who score 8 points and still completely dominate a game (a series, even).  There was point in time when you make an argument that Rondo was the best PG in the NBA, and people wouldn't laugh at you.

I hope he one day recovers that form.
Everything needs context.  Our record was 9-14 before the Rondo trade.  However we started off the season 4-11 because of a very brutal schedule.  11 of the teams we faced are in the playoffs.  The remaining four were Indy, OKC and Phoenix and Philly.  So only one easy game out of the bunch.  After that we were 5-4 before the Rondo trade.  I think Stevens reluctance to start Zeller and give him more minutes at the beginning of the season probably cost us a couple wins. 

I think Rondo will do fine if he goes to a team that fits his strengths.  The Lakers would be a poor choice and so would the Mavs if Ellis stays.  He ought to seriously consider the Kings.  Indy is another possibility but they'd need to free up cap space.

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2015, 01:05:58 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
He doesn't deserve the kind of disrespect some of us are showing him.  They were calling for his head when he was here and still doing the same when he was gone.  This was a guy who helped us win our last championship.  He never demanded a trade and was always a team player regardless of the baseless rumors.  Some people are just ridiculous.  Why not kick the guy while he was down.  And from some of the post here, he didn't even play badly.  This is low.  Pretty low.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2015, 04:34:38 AM »

Offline kheldar52077

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
He doesn't deserve the kind of disrespect some of us are showing him.  They were calling for his head when he was here and still doing the same when he was gone.  This was a guy who helped us win our last championship.  He never demanded a trade and was always a team player regardless of the baseless rumors.  Some people are just ridiculous.  Why not kick the guy while he was down.  And from some of the post here, he didn't even play badly.  This is low.  Pretty low.

Totally agree with him. Rondo is playing well with Mavs he is giving them open looks problem is his teammates aren't getting buckets.

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2015, 05:03:24 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
OP needs to watch the game. Rondo brought back the mavs to a tied game in the second after scoring 11 points in a few minutes. When Rondo misses a couple shots or has a turnover, Rick pulls him from the game for an extended period.

If you jump over to the Mavs forum, many of the fans are complaining about Ellis and saying they would prefer to keep Rondo than Ellis. I would prefer take their word on how Rondo has been doing since they actually watch the games rather than Rondo bashers on here.

The most recent case were they complained about Ellis is in game one of second quarter, rondo had the ball on almost all plays on their run to tie the game. Many Mavs fans says they need a 3 and D shooting guard and resign rondo while letting Ellis walk.

Yeah, I seen that on their blog. They were p---ED at Monta. I don't blame them. He made Brewer and Jet look like the splash brothers, yet he played like 38 mins or so and Rondo played 27..that's on Rick for how he's using Rondo .

Monta's defense was... oh who am I kidding, there was no defense from Monta. When he's not going ape offensively, he's a liability for them because he completely refuses to play defense but he still managed to play 38 minutes. And yeah, a lot of the Mavs posters seem more in favor of keeping Rondo at this point.

Rondo played well in game 1. Didn't help that he sat for so long in the 3rd. Any rhythm he had was killed during that stretch. He had it going in that 2nd quarter, pretty much got them back into it and then Carlisle decided to force feed Monta and Stoudamire. He played some solid defense on Harden too, who was just 4/11 from the floor. If Monta had stayed within 5 feet of JET or Brewer, they likely win the game.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:12:09 AM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2015, 06:45:55 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
OP needs to watch the game. Rondo brought back the mavs to a tied game in the second after scoring 11 points in a few minutes. When Rondo misses a couple shots or has a turnover, Rick pulls him from the game for an extended period.

If you jump over to the Mavs forum, many of the fans are complaining about Ellis and saying they would prefer to keep Rondo than Ellis. I would prefer take their word on how Rondo has been doing since they actually watch the games rather than Rondo bashers on here.

The most recent case were they complained about Ellis is in game one of second quarter, rondo had the ball on almost all plays on their run to tie the game. Many Mavs fans says they need a 3 and D shooting guard and resign rondo while letting Ellis walk.

Yeah, I seen that on their blog. They were p---ED at Monta. I don't blame them. He made Brewer and Jet look like the splash brothers, yet he played like 38 mins or so and Rondo played 27..that's on Rick for how he's using Rondo .

Monta's defense was... oh who am I kidding, there was no defense from Monta. When he's not going ape offensively, he's a liability for them because he completely refuses to play defense but he still managed to play 38 minutes. And yeah, a lot of the Mavs posters seem more in favor of keeping Rondo at this point.

Rondo played well in game 1. Didn't help that he sat for so long in the 3rd. Any rhythm he had was killed during that stretch. He had it going in that 2nd quarter, pretty much got them back into it and then Carlisle decided to force feed Monta and Stoudamire. He played some solid defense on Harden too, who was just 4/11 from the floor. If Monta had stayed within 5 feet of JET or Brewer, they likely win the game.

I think there is still a power struggle between coach and player , it's more at a under current level.

Rondo needs a non talent for a coach , so he can call the plays .   Carlisle is not the type personality. To give up the control or power .....after all he is the coach .

It's a free for all playing style on the Lakers , he'll like that

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2015, 07:07:34 AM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
I predicted this would happen a couple years ago.

That's how Celtic fans, and fans in general are, Love the player, give him props, defend him, but then he gets traded and the same fans turn on him HARD.

That's why I do not like forums much,

Getting ripped to pieces , getting called a hater, this and that, when you state the facts, then when he gets traded, fans then only open their eyes to those facts.

It's a hateful business being a fan.
TP as you've said exactly what I was thinking reading this and many other posts.

When I don't get to see the actual games, the first box scores I go to check are teams with ex-C's. I still enjoy seeing the one's that are playing well (even if they're no longer C's or we traded them away for other assets). PP, KG, Rondo, Hump... I used to check up on Chauncey.

Next players I go to check out are the Aussies (helps that a couple play on Spurs)  :)
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2015, 07:48:31 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 869
I have been critical of Rondo all along, or at least critical as compared to what many saw.  I remember the first "bad" thing I said (and this was back when we were winning) was that I felt Rondo tried to hard to make "the" pass instead of just making the next pass and keeping the ball moving.  I said I felt it hurt the team that Rondo was ending up with 17 assists.  People torched me for saying that (one poster in particular was incredulous).

Rondo played pretty well in the Dallas playoff game but it was the same problem that always existed with Rondo.  As soon as he passed the ball (and in some cases even when he had the ball), his man sags off and shades towards where ever Dirk was.  Rondo had some nice buckets, tried on defense, and was a fine middle of the road point guard.

My last point is that this idea that Rondo is just not a good fit in Dallas because they have a "motion" offense is flawed logic.  Every team in the league has a motion offense because that is just smart basketball.  Doc and the 3 HOFers were able to defy this but that was the exception, not the rule.  No team that decides to build their team around Rondo by having him dribble around and pile up assists is going to win in this league.

Rondo is the same Rondo as always.  I don't buy the injury has slowed him down.  He could be a star if he could shoot and actually play effectively in a motion offense.  Rondo couldn't shoot before the injury and he still can't shoot that is the problem and always was the problem.  It is his only flaw but it is a big flaw.  It is really a shame that a guy with as much fight and IQ as Rondo just can't shoot.

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2015, 07:57:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
That's how Celtic fans, and fans in general are, Love the player, give him props, defend him, but then he gets traded and the same fans turn on him HARD.

Some guys hated him while he was here, maybe you two did not know that.  I didn't though I realized he had limitations.

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2015, 01:38:06 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123