Author Topic: Danny's great trade, playoff Rondo  (Read 10391 times)

Danny's great trade, playoff Rondo
« on: April 19, 2015, 10:21:02 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
7-16 shooting, 5 assists, 0 free throws, 0 rebounds, 0 steals, 0 blocks, and a minus 25 in 27 minutes.

What a great trade Danny made.

Re: Danny's great trade, playoff Rondo
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 10:33:38 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
why the constant hate on Rondo ? He helped us win a title and was an all-star for the majority of the time he was here . He never demanded a trade , and had some really great moments with us .

Let it go

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 10:39:52 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Maybe there would have been less of this if there were less of the "you'll see the real value of Rondo come playoffs" type of talk when he was traded away.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 10:46:42 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
why the constant hate on Rondo ? He helped us win a title and was an all-star for the majority of the time he was here . He never demanded a trade , and had some really great moments with us .

Let it go

He never officially demanded a trade but he stopped playing defense for years, caused problems with Doc and Ray and others, never bought in to Stevens system, and wanted a max contract this summer after clearly deteriorating since his ACL surgery.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 10:52:53 AM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
Truley insightful analysis.

One question, did you actually watch the game?

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 10:54:30 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I stopped liking Rondo's game when he stopped doing the little things that made him special (i.e. Defense, Rebounds, Run, Steals, spunk).  That's the Rondo that helped win a Championship.

...was never a fan of "Assist leader" Rondo.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 11:01:02 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I stopped liking Rondo's game when he stopped doing the little things that made him special (i.e. Defense, Rebounds, Run, Steals, spunk).  That's the Rondo that helped win a Championship.

...was never a fan of "Assist leader" Rondo.

Me too, everything you listed plus when he stopped attacking the rim because he was afraid to shoot free throws. I used to love Rondo, was a huge fan of his game from his rookie year on, but it was painfully clear that that Rondo was long gone.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 11:21:49 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
If you actually watched the game, Rondo played great. The rest of the Mavs on the other hand. Not so much.

Stop boxscore watching and start watching actual games.

As Ice Cube said, "check yourself before you wreck yourself"

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 11:23:26 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah, it's old hat at this point.  It appears now Rondo has joined the long, sad list of players whose careers have been derailed by a major injury.  He's simply not at all the player he was before.

Doesn't help that the league is moving away from players with Rondo's current strengths and weaknesses.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 11:25:21 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
If you actually watched the game, Rondo played great. The rest of the Mavs on the other hand. Not so much.

Your definition of "played great" is flawed. He played ok, but was nowhere near the Rondo we had seen vs the Heat years ago in the playoffs. That Rondo doesn't exist anymore.

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 11:27:26 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

Your definition of "played great" is flawed. He played ok, but was nowhere near the Rondo we had seen vs the Heat years ago in the playoffs. That Rondo doesn't exist anymore.

I was comparing him to the rest of the Maverick roster, compared to them he played great,
He was making plays, driving to the hoop and making jumpshots.
Compared to them he played great, nowhere near "playoff Rondo" but he didn't play bad as OP is making him out to be.

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 11:33:45 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I believe Rondo is still great and can make Dallas better in the playoff. Must wait how the series develop before jumping on conclusion in 1 game only.
Having said that, I tend to agree about that the time has changed in NBA. PG position is a tough competition because there are more and more good PG coming out of the draft each year.
Nowadays, it is not silly to ask a top PG to score 20ppg and 10ast and grab some RB and steals every game while being very good at defense.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 11:41:43 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Watched the game and by and large rondo played well.  He brought them back into the game and generally made the right plays.

The issue with rondo in Dallas (IMO) is that either he or the team is unwilling to commit to him taking the reigns full time.  Rondo is always playing with other ball handlers on the floor (Ellis and even barrera).  There were multiple times where the mavs would rebound and outlet to one of the other guards leaving rondo "hanging". 

Now I understand that the point isn't just for rondo to be effective.  It's possible that the team is more effective with those others handling the ball more.  But we also know that unless rondo is handling the ball, he isn't going to be very useful.

So all in all, I saw some nice things from rondo that suggest he still has the skill.  The question moving forward is whether a team (a good one) is willing to hand him the keys and me him go. 

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 11:47:58 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I believe Rondo is still great and can make Dallas better in the playoff. Must wait how the series develop before jumping on conclusion in 1 game only.
Having said that, I tend to agree about that the time has changed in NBA. PG position is a tough competition because there are more and more good PG coming out of the draft each year.
Nowadays, it is not silly to ask a top PG to score 20ppg and 10ast and grab some RB and steals every game while being very good at defense.
Great is a strong word.  He has been working to show that he is above average for a while now.

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 12:04:07 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Watch the game before posting.