Author Topic: Marcus Smart  (Read 4589 times)

Re: Marcus Smart
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 11:50:47 AM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan
True true!

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/5/3/c/53c2a6e48960fe4c/celtics_beat_419_DA_DM.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1ce3dae902ea1d06ca8e33d7c85fe02e&c_id=8794306

David Aldrige gave a good talk and I was wondering, if there was any possibility to get Justice Winslow who might have a higher drive than James Young, would be worthwhile trying XD (at least he can play D) This draft has alot of sleepers too I believe!
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 11:57:40 AM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
Dennis Johnson is how he is now or how he will be later lol?

hes got way more upside than him too I believe :D I really want to believe in Smart's work ethic and how he could little by little earn the respect of the league and get to the top as hes got the physicality to do it and the correct demeanor to make it there! Many great players were underrated such as Johnson and I think Smart kinda is hidden as well! I think through this series, all health being well, he can try to prove how as a rookie he can make a huge impact! I cant wait to see how he develops! Just a player that we can love watching him play and hope he can continue to prove us right and be with the Celtics for many years to come! (Hopefully with titles too ;P) His defense for a rookie though is unbelievable! His natural instincts are wild! XDD I am really glad we drafted him!

Hope we can side good players with him this offseason! Who do you guys think would fit with him best? Say that we only have Smart, lets think of the rest 14 :)

@Maurice 98,  James Young has a natural offensive skill. He has to polish it to make it efficient coz so far as what I have managed to see abit from him in the D-League, his competition there is low and hence he gets to score alot which doesnt mean anything I believe... I generally believe him to be a raw player...as you said he need definitely needs to bulk up! He might even grow abit seeing he is only 19 right? But yea, being in this wonderful squad we have assembled, with people like Crowder, Smart and others, he can be inspired to work as it seems the whole world has taken to notice that he is waaaaaay too relaxed for a player who entered the NBA! Hopefully he realizes this offseason and show us his work in the summer league! Smart's ceiling cannot be told at the moment XD We really should wait 2-3 years and then assume (As during all this time, hopefully he will be healthy and we can then give our ideas :D ) as for Young, I wish he could turn out to be a Harden or any offensive killer as this team is seriously lacking one of those guys (Thomas is a killer but Young could be a beast with the same skills as he is physically a more fit NBA basketball player) For now, Young is pretty meh...but lets hope he can at least be a sixth man of the year type of player who can drain it from anywhere and make plays!

TP! I really like Smart's mentality which is to outhustle and outwork you every time. I really hope Brad will allow him to touch the ball more so that he can attack the rim, draw fouls and drive and kick. As I said before, if he develop an above average handle, he will thrive in the system a lot better. Smart could be a guy who has an excellent combination of size, length, strengths and quickness that can have multiple isos and attack the rim at will.

I love James' potential, but he has to work hard to reach his ceiling because the talent is there but the right mentality will change his approach to the game. But a factor that I loved about James is that he has "it" as seen in the last year NCAA tournament (20pts in the finals with an atrocious and filthy poster dunk).

@ashanm10 What stats that they would have if they reach their ceilings in their peak? What's their ceilings? (I am talking about James and Marcus)

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 12:14:58 PM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
yea :D they are both exciting players! (well one is at least XD )

hmmmmmm well next year at least he should aim to be getting around 18-20 ppg, 7-10 appg, 5-8 rpg, 2 bpg (Coz he can lol ), 5 spg

that would be a definite improvement for Smart MIPG award for sure

as for Young, he should be making

10-15 ppg, 5 appg, 5-8 rpg to start showing anything lol!
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 12:22:09 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I love Smart too, love his intensity, his defense. He makes everyone around him compete.

Let's not set expectations too high for his offense, though - all he's shown on that end so far is respectable 3pt shooting and good decision making for a rookie. He hasn't shown the ability to create offense. I think he'll improve but it would be a big surprise if he averaged 15ppg next season. A more realistic milestone is whether he'll become the primary starting ballhandler.

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 12:25:01 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
High expectation for me. This man is the real deal.
He might be an improved Wade.
Confidence, attitude, maturity at his age is rare. He see the game almost like a vet already, that's unbelievable.

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
High expectation for me. This man is the real deal.
He might be an improved Wade.
Confidence, attitude, maturity at his age is rare. He see the game almost like a vet already, that's unbelievable.

Same here. I got high expectation for him but I wouldn't mind if he becomes like a Dennis Johnson in Boston.

This kid has the potential to become like Wade (He's becoming dirty like him lol) and as soon as Stevens allows him to be the primary ball handler, he will show the aggressiveness that he had in college and high school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nGKgQru5_A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul_Nj74WUVg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2xqmw8NHco

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 02:11:01 PM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
not just an improved Wade, but a two way player! ye those clips speak well about him!
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 02:20:04 PM »

Offline shrinkage36

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
I think the sky is the ceiling for him honestly. Jason Kidd was not a high scorer ever, but he was a super star. The reason he was a super star was not because he was super fast or scored 28 a night, but because he was super intelligent, same as Smart. Smart dominates games sometimes just on defense.

He causes offensive players to travel, to run out the shot clock, to charge and push him, to throw the ball away, and most times, he completely takes an important player out of the offense by denying him the ball.

The way he plays the pick and roll will be iconic, and players and coaches around the league will copy this technique in the future. His teammates already does some of the same techniques.

I believe he can guard LeBron with ease. Maybe not this year because the refs won't allow it. But Smart's a "Smart" player, no pun intended, and knows how to follow a defender without fouling him, and how to use his left hand to shield the eyes of shooting defenders. He also has an incredible wingspan that allows him to block shots, and reach for balls without touching players.

Offensively, again, he's a Smart player. He's always giving the ball to the right guy, but the shots don't necessarily fall. He does need to drive more, but he's not playing point guard much, and he doesn't get the ball as much as he should. He is a rookie, I even forget sometimes.

What I have seen from him in the past is that the guy simply dominates the game without scoring a ton. This is the first time in his life that he's worked on his offensive shooting. How he's been a winner years back was his teammates believing in him, and coaches allowing him to roam a little bit on offense.

Allow him to post up and go after rebounds, instead of the safe play of guarding the back court in case of a leak out/cherry picker. When he roams on offense, more times than not, he's cleaning up shots under the basket, getting crucial rebounds in traffic, due to his good straight up vertical along with his reach.

What I would like to see in the future is him improving his 3-point shot and his mid-range shot. He should develop a floater. I don't get why more players don't do this all the time, it's pretty unstoppable. Just think Kareem Abdul Jabar, or how ever you spell it. All he did was the hook shot and it worked. Develop a floater, and finish at the rim. I see him going to the foul line a lot in the future as well, because of how physical he is.

IMO, and sorry this is so long, he's already developed a reputation as a shut down defender with the refs. He's not been in foul trouble much for a physical defending rookie. Anyways, carry on guys, we need to get a victory, no moral victories.

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2015, 02:28:29 PM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
he seems good on defense, and developing a good 3 point shot.  lots of intangibles, hustle plays etc, which you can't teach really, some people just have that more than others.   ball handling and pick and roll offensive skills would add to his game a lot.  he seems a little lost as what to do when he drives to the hoop, but some of that is experience, and being smarter than IT and knowing how not to get killed in there when you do drive.  I'm all for driving to the hoop hard, but you can't help your team win if you're reckless and get injured and are sitting on the bench. 

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 02:29:12 PM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
Word. Smart has the potential to do it all as long as he keeps working harder day by day! Next season we need to see him finally add shooting to his repertoire of skills and bring back his college game as well so that he can show the NBA what he is capable of as well as everything new he will be learning everyday! What he needs is good tough competitors to play with him so that he can spar with and learn from :) will help him alot and hopefully James Young will hop on the Celtics future :D
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2015, 02:50:02 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If Smart is blessed with good health, he will be the future Celtic team captain, a multiple 1st team all NBA defensive player, and someday the NBA defensive player of the year.

The "kid" is a defensive animal that as he says, "will not back down" he is relentless, it's not just hype, he bothers/annoys every player he covers.

If you surround him with solid characters willing to emulate Smart, balanced, two way talent, he will someday get you a championship.