Author Topic: NBA Playoffs Season 2014-2015  (Read 485822 times)

Re: NBA Playoffs Season 2014-2015
« Reply #2670 on: May 27, 2015, 10:59:56 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Instead of talking about LeBron making the Finals 5 straight times, how about we talk about the teams he's beaten in that time.  To me, that's far more interesting.

2012 Celts -- A boogie man for LeBron based on their history, a creaky team running mostly on pride.  Bron finally overcame them.

2012 Thunder -- A supremely talented team, but very young.  LeBron's biggest achievement to that point.

2013 Spurs -- Huge victory over a superior opponent.  Took some luck, but this is LeBron's crowning achievement.

2014 Pacers -- Had a great run to start that season and then stumbled the rest of the way, including the playoffs.  Middle of the road opponent by the ECF.

2015 Hawks -- Same as above.

Beating the 2015 Warriors, a historically great team by any measure, would be LeBron's biggest accomplishment yet.  Especially considering the meager supporting cast he has this year.

Let's not forget that those Celtics also lost 4 (!) players to injury that year alone: Green, Bradley, Wilcox, JO. That was probably my favorite Celtics year outside of our championship year. That team was resilient, and Rondo was a god among men out there.

« Reply #2671 on: May 27, 2015, 11:16:16 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Instead of talking about LeBron making the Finals 5 straight times, how about we talk about the teams he's beaten in that time.  To me, that's far more interesting.

2012 Celts -- A boogie man for LeBron based on their history, a creaky team running mostly on pride.  Bron finally overcame them.

2012 Thunder -- A supremely talented team, but very young.  LeBron's biggest achievement to that point.

2013 Spurs -- Huge victory over a superior opponent.  Took some luck, but this is LeBron's crowning achievement.

2014 Pacers -- Had a great run to start that season and then stumbled the rest of the way, including the playoffs.  Middle of the road opponent by the ECF.

2015 Hawks -- Same as above.

Beating the 2015 Warriors, a historically great team by any measure, would be LeBron's biggest accomplishment yet.  Especially considering the meager supporting cast he has this year.

Let's not forget that those Celtics also lost 4 (!) players to injury that year alone: Green, Bradley, Wilcox, JO. That was probably my favorite Celtics year outside of our championship year. That team was resilient, and Rondo was a god among men out there.

The 2012 team definitely meant the most to me out of any of them.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2672 on: May 27, 2015, 12:15:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Beating the 2015 Warriors, a historically great team by any measure

Need to win a Championship first before any talk about historical greatness. Nobody will even look at them as a great team if Cleveland (mediocre Finals team) beats them.

« Reply #2673 on: May 27, 2015, 12:29:38 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Need to win a Championship first before any talk about historical greatness. Nobody will even look at them as a great team if Cleveland (mediocre Finals team) beats them.

Historically great Regular Season Team*
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2674 on: May 27, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Now that the East playoffs are just about over, I think it's safe to say that these last couple months has confirmed what we all thought...the Eastern conference is garbage.

The 1 seed is about to get swept by the 2 seed that's been without 2 of its top 3 players for most of the series (Kevin Love since the end of the first round).  The 3 seed is a constant underachieving team with an injury plagued point guard and center and a coach about to be fired.  The 4 seed got swept in the first round by the 5 seed who has a nitwit for a coach and depended on a guy on the verge of retirement to make all the big shots, who's most likely leaving anyway.  And we know what the Bucks, Cs, and Nets are.

The rest of the East needs to be careful, and diligent in building their teams, because we could be looking at 5 more years of Cleveland dominating the conference.

Pretty much. I heard a lot of people riding on the Hawks wagon that they can dismantle the Cavs or saying how they're the Spurs 2.0.

Hawks were pretty overrated. They should've swept Brooklyn and easily taken care of Washington if they were that good. Chi-town has been the same as the past few years...make playoffs, injuries, and get bounced. Toronto sucks. Wizards to me were actually kind of legit. They were missing Wall for most of the 2nd round and Pierce nailing clutch shots. I think with Wall they could've upset Atlanta. Bucks sucks. Celtics missing rim protector and rebounding woes. Brooklyn meh.

Cavs were always the #1 seed to begin with. All these Bulls/Hawks beating the Cavs talk (since before the season began) will finally end. Hopefully the Warriors or Rockets can stop LeBron.

I do realize the Cavs were without Love (and Irving for two games). However, lets not undersell the Hawks injuries either. After the first game, they were essentially down their best defender (Carroll) for Lebron as well as the guy that had been leading them in the playoffs. They Lost Korver for the series in the second game, who was really a huge huge part of what they did on the playoffs. While they don't have the star power of Lebron or Irving, make no mistake about how important they are to what the Hawks do. Would they have  beaten the Cavs with both teams at full strength. That is really doubtful. However, I don't think it would have been the sweep riddled with blowouts that we saw.

« Reply #2675 on: May 27, 2015, 01:03:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
^agreed.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2676 on: May 27, 2015, 01:32:46 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Teague was suffering from some weird ankle issues.
Korver obviously went out with his season-ending ankle injury.
Carroll tweaked his knee and apparently was suffering from turf toe.
Millsap might need offseason shoulder surgery from an issue stemming from the regular season.
Horford had a few nagging injuries that also began in the regular season.
Sefolosha, as we all know, was hemmed up by the NYPD.

The Hawks we saw in the playoffs were essentially a shell of themselves. That's exactly why they were struggling to put away the Nets and the Wizards and were eventually swept by the Cavs: not because they were frauds or "pretty overrated," but because they were really banged up. You're not winning 60 games unless you're an inherently good team, period.

The Hawks, more so than pretty much any other team in the league, are extremely dependent on the individual contributions from their rotation players. They don't have the benefit of being able to rely on one or two guys to carry them, so if they end up losing any pieces to their puzzle, it'll affect them more so than your average team.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:40:23 PM by Endless Paradise »

« Reply #2677 on: May 27, 2015, 07:37:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I think you guys might enjoy this.  While watching the news tonight, Lester Holt said that this is Lebron's first trip to the finals with the cavs ::), lol ;D. *facepalm* Needless to say, many people quickly corrected him on facebook, twitter, etc., and he acknowledged his error at the end of the broadcast, but still, really, dude?  NBA already has a problem with credibility because of Brian Williams, and now you're screwing up, too?  Maybe they should get Sherrod to work there, lol ;D.

Holt - and for more on the nba draft, we turn to our chief sports correspondent, A. Sherrod Blakely.  Sherrod, which player could prove to be a steal, tonight?

Blakely - Jordan Mackey!

Ahaha ;D.

« Reply #2678 on: May 27, 2015, 07:39:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Historically great Regular Season Team*

Correct.

Although I'd say they've been pretty darn dominant so far in the playoffs, and Curry is setting a number of playoff shooting records over the course of this run.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2679 on: May 27, 2015, 07:54:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
anyone else rooting for the rockets to win just so we don't have to go a week until the finals? I think it would be better for everyone involved. Especially since out of 8 games played in the conference finals on both sides, we have only had two competitive games. We deserve better!

« Reply #2680 on: May 27, 2015, 08:19:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
anyone else rooting for the rockets to win just so we don't have to go a week until the finals? I think it would be better for everyone involved. Especially since out of 8 games played in the conference finals on both sides, we have only had two competitive games. We deserve better!

I have a very hard time rooting for the Rockets to win anytime .   

« Reply #2681 on: May 27, 2015, 08:28:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I have a very hard time rooting for the Rockets to win anytime .

i mean I live in the bay area.. but i feel pretty cheated by these conference finals (and to a lesser extent the playoffs as a whole because of injuries). There was one really great stretch with the hawks/wizards bulls/cavs playing great competitive games, and the western semis got competitive. However, they were surrounded by a lot of poo on both sides.

« Reply #2682 on: May 27, 2015, 08:30:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I would, but I'd prefer for the Warriors to get a similar amount of rest to the Cavs.

The Warriors should be heavily favored in the Finals anyway, but I just can't stand the thought of the Cavs winning, so I want the Warriors to have every advantage they can.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2683 on: May 27, 2015, 10:58:15 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Harden has 10 turnovers... and there's three minutes left in the third quarter.

EDIT: Now 11
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:05:54 PM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #2684 on: May 27, 2015, 11:19:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Ouch. Klay Thompson kneed in the head on a shot fake.