Author Topic: NBA Playoffs Season 2014-2015  (Read 485750 times)

Re: NBA Playoffs Season 2014-2015
« Reply #570 on: April 28, 2015, 08:45:45 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Brooklyn ties it up with Atlanta.  Ouch.

That's why I wanted the Celtics to play Atlanta rather than Cleveland. I think the Hawks don't have "it" (to paraphrase Paul Pierce), regardless of their record and achievements, and so far they are proving this theory to be true. Too bad it's against the Nets, who are awful to watch!
i wanted the Hawks too, I am sure officiating is not as one-sided as playing the Cavs.

« Reply #571 on: April 28, 2015, 09:17:12 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
To be fair to the Hawks, I think the Nets are a much, much better playoff team than the Celtics.  Sorry guys, I just think that's the case. 

The Nets were a mediocre team most of the year, but with Brook Lopez playing in All-NBA "I Want a Big Contract" form and Deron Williams looking for stretches like some fraction of the player he once was, the Nets can actually hang with legitimate playoff opponents in a half-court set.

The Hawks will get out of this series, and when they do they may be (a) better for it and (b) ready to destroy their next opponent, with whom they'll match up better.

After all, the Celts went 7 against a pretty crappy Hawks team back in 08.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #572 on: April 28, 2015, 09:34:30 AM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
To be fair to the Hawks, I think the Nets are a much, much better playoff team than the Celtics.  Sorry guys, I just think that's the case. 

The Nets were a mediocre team most of the year, but with Brook Lopez playing in All-NBA "I Want a Big Contract" form and Deron Williams looking for stretches like some fraction of the player he once was, the Nets can actually hang with legitimate playoff opponents in a half-court set.

The Hawks will get out of this series, and when they do they may be (a) better for it and (b) ready to destroy their next opponent, with whom they'll match up better.

Difference was we beat the Hawks at home by an average of 25 points a game. Even if the Hawks get out of the series I don't expect them to go much further due to their reliance on jump shooting and their poor rebounding. But hey, we will see.

« Reply #573 on: April 28, 2015, 09:51:10 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Difference was we beat the Hawks at home by an average of 25 points a game. Even if the Hawks get out of the series I don't expect them to go much further due to their reliance on jump shooting and their poor rebounding. But hey, we will see.

Yeah, the Hawk are obviously not as good as the 08 Celts.  Just saying, matchups matter, and the Nets are not some roadkill bottom seed (like the Celtics were this year, God bless 'em).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #574 on: April 28, 2015, 10:00:15 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Nets finished the season pretty well. I think they won something like 13 out of final 19 games.

Similar to the Celtics in that regard.

« Reply #575 on: April 28, 2015, 11:24:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Nets finished the season pretty well. I think they won something like 13 out of final 19 games.

Similar to the Celtics in that regard.
And Al Horford and Paul Millsap don't look right due in part to injuries.

Best two players being sub-par leaves them vulnerable.

« Reply #576 on: April 28, 2015, 11:44:13 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Does this Nets series make it more likely that Brook Lopez opts in for next year ??, you would think that Young would ..Hopefully they do bring back The Gang for unfinished business and the bottom really falls out next year ;D

« Reply #577 on: April 28, 2015, 01:33:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Brooklyn ties it up with Atlanta.  Ouch.

Despite the utter lack of passion Brooklyn exhibits on the court, they do have some talented players. Joe Johnson is still a quasi-star and gifted scorer, particularly in the clutch. Brook Lopez has somehow managed to recapture the ability to be a very real offensive weapon as well. Deron Williams is an acceptable third wheel when the other two wheels are playing at or near their best. Jarrett Jack and Mason Plumlee while not world beaters off the bench are solid and are also probably the two most energetic players on the team.

They still are not that good overall, but I am not surprised they have won a couple games in this series. It happens. It happened to Celtics the year they won the title, to a Hawks team that had talent (like the Nets), but just did not play as a team all that well, especially on the road.

But this isn't to compare the Hawks to the 07-08 Celtics. This Hawks team is nowhere near that good. Few NBA teams have been.
Brooklyn unquestionably is a more talented team than Boston.  At full health, that Brooklyn team is pretty good (hence why I'm not expecting much from their 2016 1st).  But yeah, I wanted to play Atlanta too.  We might have taken that series to 5.  We had no chance against the Cavs.

« Reply #578 on: April 28, 2015, 01:35:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Does this Nets series make it more likely that Brook Lopez opts in for next year ??, you would think that Young would ..Hopefully they do bring back The Gang for unfinished business and the bottom really falls out next year ;D
If Brook and Thad stick around and Brooklyn has some luck with health next season, they might be 2nd best team in the East.

« Reply #579 on: April 28, 2015, 01:41:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
If Brook and Thad stick around and Brooklyn has some luck with health next season, they might be 2nd best team in the East.

I don't understand this joke...

« Reply #580 on: April 28, 2015, 02:23:01 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
Except for the Teletovic clot problem you could argue that they had pretty good health this season apart from the odd ankle sprain.
Unless you think Thaddeus Young is that big of a difference maker that is a huge jump for that roster to be making.

« Reply #581 on: April 28, 2015, 02:33:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Except for the Teletovic clot problem you could argue that they had pretty good health this season apart from the odd ankle sprain.
Unless you think Thaddeus Young is that big of a difference maker that is a huge jump for that roster to be making.

I dont think he is serious (I hope not). How that team leaps the Bulls, Wizards, and Hawks (And Bucks) while holding off every other young team below them would happen with 79 million tied up in Williams, Johnson, Lopez, Jack and Young. That's right 79 million on that 5.

« Reply #582 on: April 28, 2015, 02:55:28 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum

I dont think he is serious (I hope not). How that team leaps the Bulls, Wizards, and Hawks (And Bucks) while holding off every other young team below them would happen with 79 million tied up in Williams, Johnson, Lopez, Jack and Young. That's right 79 million on that 5.
Maybe they have been doing the old Ali rope a dope the last few years ;D

« Reply #583 on: April 28, 2015, 08:36:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

They were significantly better after Lopez got healthy and they added Thad.   That team can fully healthy can be the 2nd best team in the East.

« Reply #584 on: April 28, 2015, 08:46:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Go rockets