Author Topic: more Embiid work ethic problems  (Read 13278 times)

Re: more Embiid work ethic problems
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2015, 04:04:49 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
LarBrd33 - I love Embiid, too, and I know that you've been hoping that if the 76ers won the lottery and took Towns that Embiid might become available through a trade (based on his potential and what he showed at Kansas, I'm with you - I'd give our entire team for that dude, lol ;D), but I came across this article the other day which may or may not ruin your hope of getting him.  It said that they consulted with Larry Brown as to who he'd pick, and he said Mudiay, whom he recruited before Emmaneul chose to play overseas.  The reason being, obviously, is that the 76ers need a point guard, and Brown likens the kid to John Wall.

Anyway, I know that that's just his opinion, but there are a number of other articles that you can find about Philadelphia strongly considering taking this guy.  Sorry, man. :'(

http://www.nj.com/sixers/index.ssf/2015/02/larry_brown_says_sixers_drafting_emmanuel_mudiay_w.html

As Sixers general manager Sam Hinkie continues to build a stockpile of draft picks over the next two years, speculation is already ripe about who he will choose in this summer's NBA Draft.

One player that the Sixers have already been rumored to have interest in is point guard Emmanuel Mudiay who is currently playing in China. Mudiay, 18, is averaging 17.7 points, 5.9 assists and six rebounds per game while playing for Guangdong Foshan (China).

Hall of Famer and former Sixers head coach Larry Brown, currently the head coach at SMU, recruited Mudiay to come play for the Mustangs before the 6-foot-5 guard chose to play overseas. Brown says that the Sixers have already reached out to pick his brain about Mudiay.

"They have an idea on how they want to build a team," Brown said of the Sixers in a radio interview with 97.5 FM The Fanatic's Mike Missanelli. I'm not there. I don't coach them. I don't work there. I have to be supportive. People have reached out to me just to give them my opinion. I think the kid's special.

"You need a great point guard. First and foremost I think it starts with them defending the ball. Emmanuel's 6-5, he's long, he's athletic. I think he can keep the ball in front of him. He's a pass-first point guard. He's an extra rebounder. He's not a great shooter, but, in the NBA, you have so much time to work on your shot and improve your game, his shot's not broken. I think it'll get there. I think he has it all."

If there are any red flags in Mudiay's game that might scare the Sixers away from picking him high in the first round, it would be his shot. Mudiay is currently shooting 49.7 percent from the field and 30 percent from beyond the arc.

After trading away Michael Carter-Williams at the trade deadline last week, Hinkie might be hesitant to pull the trigger on drafting another guard with trouble shooting.

However, Brown believes that Mudiay's upside potential is immense.

"He reminds me a lot of John Wall," Brown said. "They've done a tremendous job with Jon down in Washington, he's making the people around him better. You see it with Russell Westbrook. They've added some players around him and now he's getting more and more inclined to get other people involved. I think Emmanuel's really a talent like those kids."

As far as pairing Mudiay with the defense-oriented Brett Brown and the Sixers? Brown thinks it would be a match made in heaven.

"I love Philly," Brown said. "I love the kid. I want what's best for him. I think that playing for Brett Brown would be a home run."

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2015, 06:03:25 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Sam Hinkie is his own man and he will pick the best available player in his mind without regard to position. If it means that he winds up with Okafor or Towns along with Embiid and Noel, he will do it anyway and sort it out later. For the Celtics, a number of our high value picks might get us one of these guys with Noel as my most likely candidate to be moved. As an opening bid I would offer both our picks this year and our Brooklyn pick next year.

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2015, 07:48:20 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Sam Hinkie is his own man and he will pick the best available player in his mind without regard to position. If it means that he winds up with Okafor or Towns along with Embiid and Noel, he will do it anyway and sort it out later. For the Celtics, a number of our high value picks might get us one of these guys with Noel as my most likely candidate to be moved. As an opening bid I would offer both our picks this year and our Brooklyn pick next year.
Almost no chance we get any of them.   Having three elite big man prospects is a nice problem to have.  Hinkie can just hang onto them for a year, decide which two will be the cornerstones of the franchise for the next 15 years, and trade the third for an all-star at a position of need.  It would be illogical for the 76ers to trade any of them on draft night for a handful of middling draft picks.  Maybe if the package started with Marcus Smart, #16 and Brooklyn's 2016, it might intrigue them a bit, but there would be safer trades for Philly to make.

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2015, 09:24:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Just being on a nothing coached ,  losing program thats set up for losing ..... Alone is enough to bring a person down.   You can't be part of something like the 76 's are doing long and most winning ball      players attitude would go to pot pretty quick.

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2015, 11:01:05 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Just being on a nothing coached ,  losing program thats set up for losing ..... Alone is enough to bring a person down.   You can't be part of something like the 76 's are doing long and most winning ball      players attitude would go to pot pretty quick.

Scorching hot take. Really hard hitting stuff.

This is old stuff. Embiid apparently was pretty frustrating to the training staff earlier, to the point where they sent him home on a road trip. That was also around the time the reports about his weight came out. Since then he's been fine.

Howard Eskin is a moron who whines about the Sixers because Sam Hinkie won't give him an interview.

Embiid isn't going anywhere until he at least plays a game.

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2015, 11:04:47 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

This is old stuff. Embiid apparently was pretty frustrating to the training staff earlier, to the point where they sent him home on a road trip. That was also around the time the reports about his weight came out. Since then he's been fine.

Howard Eskin is a moron who whines about the Sixers because Sam Hinkie won't give him an interview.

SAQATTACK has a point, not only for player development but also for building a legit contender. If you are a quality free agent this summer, would you ever consider signing with Phili who is on all-out 5 year long tank mode and keeps trading the players they draft in a year or two, or would you sign with Boston who has been one of the top teams since the all-star break with a young , brilliant head coach , lots of assets with draft picks and cap space, and a winning atmosphere?

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2015, 11:45:14 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

SAQATTACK has a point, not only for player development but also for building a legit contender. If you are a quality free agent this summer, would you ever consider signing with Phili who is on all-out 5 year long tank mode and keeps trading the players they draft in a year or two, or would you sign with Boston who has been one of the top teams since the all-star break with a young , brilliant head coach , lots of assets with draft picks and cap space, and a winning atmosphere?

Neither, I'd sign with a contender. And really, looking at the FA list what impact UFA is going to leave his team. LMA and Gasol aren't, I highly doubt Dragic will and unless Kevin Love opts out the market is pretty dry.

Maybe DeAndre, though I'm not sure why he'd leave a good team in LA for a so-so one in Boston.

Which leaves Love and RFA(most of whom will likely be matched).

And in what world is the Sixers tank plan 5 years? Sam Hinkie's been GM for less than two.

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76

Philly isn't looking to sign big time free agents right now. They aren't trying to be a FA destination. They're trying to build through the draft.

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2015, 01:23:12 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Now I don't want to rehash all the Sixers stuff but this could be a situation where the Sixers rebuilding strategy could hurt their players development.

Yes, all players should give their all at all times but this just isn't reality. Being around a team that is comprised mostly of d league players doesn't really give a player the extra motivation to get better, even sooner.

While the Sixers might have players with the potential to be great assets, developing them in their current situation is a detriment to that development.
Noel developed quiet well this season on team with a bunch of d leaguers.  The Sixers have the best motivation, minutes on the court, to offer young players.  Thomas Robinson was upset when the Sixers claimed him from waivers.  However when he got into their system, he was quite happy because he got significantly more playing time to show his capabilities. 

Embiid was stuck doing non-basketball activity for most of the season.  It isn't surprising that he had motivational issues.  Once he reached the point in his recovery where he could do basketball activities, his work effort has been fine.
Noel took until the second half of the year to start giving them really good minutes. I believe that had he been surrounded by veterans trying to win games he would have played even better.

You really can't be 100% sure about Embiid's timeline, maybe he started off poorly then got more focused or maybe he didn't. it is extremely difficult to tell based on these stories.

In the end I think the downfall of the Sixers is that they aren't able to maximize their assets because of a lack of veteran leadership helping the young players develop.
Not having many vets meant the focus could be on Noel's development.  He has had to work on his offense skills and to become a leader for the team.  Noel's defense was very good for most of the season.  He made significant gains offensively later in the season but he still needs a lot of work. 

Brown has said Embiid's work effort improved since he started on-court activities.  The link to the quoted article in the OP uses "needs" but the article title uses "needed".  The tone of the article is past tense.   

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2015, 01:24:24 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Philly isn't looking to sign big time free agents right now. They aren't trying to be a FA destination. They're trying to build through the draft.

Are they? They traded away their #2 pick in Evan Turner for nothing, and then traded away their top pick in MCW after a great season for nothing. That's not exactly building through the draft.

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2015, 02:09:35 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

Are they? They traded away their #2 pick in Evan Turner for nothing, and then traded away their top pick in MCW after a great season for nothing. That's not exactly building through the draft.

1. Evan Turner is a bad player, and was picked by the previous regime 5 years ago. Stop.

2. MCW was traded for a pick that will be in the to 10 this year or next barring a miracle. That's not nothing, facts matter.

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2015, 09:57:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://www.libertyballers.com/2015/4/18/8449637/report-joel-embiid-fined-by-sixers-for-missing-rehab-sessions

I have been told #sixers no. 1 pick Joel Embiid fined thousands of dollars this season 4 being late and missing multiple rehab sessions.

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2015, 11:16:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
For whatever reason Embiid and the 76ers elicit really strong responses from people, especially on this blog. People have become so passionate I feel like I have ended up arguing with people on both sides. I think people that really hate what the 76ers are doing are going to take these stories as proof that the things are imploding in Philly and Embiid will be a bust. People that like the 76ers are going to claim this is no big deal and old news.

I think if you look at this objectively, we can't really dismiss it as a complete non-story. Management and coaches have a lot of power over what gets printed and what is released to the media. It seems to me like the story was first allowed to be printed as a way of sending Embiid a message to take things a little more seriously (when it came out in March or whatever). I would guess the fact that the 76ers are publicly commenting on it now suggests that they still want that message to be heard and ingrained over the offseason. However, in the big scheme of things it doesn't sound like there is anything super dangerous or bad here. Lots of players have had these issues as Rookies and grown out of them. Hopefully Embiid can too. It's not the end of the world, but its' not a complete non-story either. Lets see how he looks and summer leagues and if this is the end of the stories about him.

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2015, 11:26:18 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

1. Evan Turner is a bad player, and was picked by the previous regime 5 years ago. Stop.

2. MCW was traded for a pick that will be in the to 10 this year or next barring a miracle. That's not nothing, facts matter.

Turner performing pretty well for the Celtics! ;D

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2015, 11:58:20 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I think he's going to be a superstar long-term.   I think it was just frustrating for him not being able to play basketball.  He's been fine the last couple months.  Will be exciting to see him in summer league.  It will not take long to shut up the naysayers who desperately want to compare him to Greg Oden.

I understand why you think this, and you could be right, but I honestly just don't think he will be that good.

When I was watching pre-draft material on the 2014 draft class I saw a guy who dominated over his college brethren due to his physical gifts, but who also looked to be quite raw, a little lazy and a bit of a bone head.

In the NBA guys rarely become dominant superstars based on freakish physical gifts alone.  the guys who really dominate tend to have an incredible skill set, an extremely high Basketball IQ, or an unbreakable work ethic - I don't really see any of that in Embiid.

Embiid's only elite asset right now is the array of physical gifts he's been blessed with, but that isn't as big a benefit in the NBA as it is in college, and even those gifts are put to risk by his injury history.  His skill set is versatile, but also very raw.  His basketball IQ is very lacking, and his level of effort / motivation looks questionable. 

I think Embiid will be a solid player, probably a good starter in this league.  Not sure he'll be much more than that.  I'm thinking he'll be a 13 point, 9 rebound, 2.5 block type of guy - kind of a shorter, more mobile version of Roy Hibbert.