Author Topic: more Embiid work ethic problems  (Read 13303 times)

Re: more Embiid work ethic problems
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 03:43:51 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
If Embiid doesn't get healthy or can't prevent future injuries, he has this to look forward to from the classy Philly fans:

Turner's tenure in Philadelphia was so rugged that fans followed him to his car after games screeching, "Get lost, we don't want you!" and heckling him with chants of "Bust, bust, bust!" They expected a superstar and wouldn't forgive him when he didn't deliver.

As much as I disliked Turner in the beginning of the season, I could never imagine following someone to their car, just to tell them to get lost.

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think he's going to be a superstar long-term.   I think it was just frustrating for him not being able to play basketball.  He's been fine the last couple months.  Will be exciting to see him in summer league.  It will not take long to shut up the naysayers who desperately want to compare him to Greg Oden.

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 04:26:55 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I think he's going to be a superstar long-term.   I think it was just frustrating for him not being able to play basketball.  He's been fine the last couple months.  Will be exciting to see him in summer league.  It will not take long to shut up the naysayers who desperately want to compare him to Greg Oden.

Superstar is a bold statement. Does he have the talent? Sure. However, does he have what it takes above the shoulders? Does he really have that drive and motivation to be a superstar? I'm not sure I see that in him.

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

You realize you have probably posted this 50 times. We get it, you like him and Noel. They are going to be great and elite.

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 04:37:29 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
I think the reality of the grit and grind in the NBA didn´t go though his head when he acted like that. Once he steps on the court and he faces dudes so much bigger and stronger than the opponents he´s used to, he´ll realize what it takes.

Actually I believe he already bought in on it already, it´s not just about being THE dude on campus, it´s about being a pro athlete and buying into it. Embiid will be a bad dude in this league, if he can stay healthy.

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 04:39:48 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!

Maybe or his career could snowball down hill along with Philly's tank.

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 04:44:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

You realize you have probably posted this 50 times. We get it, you like him and Noel. They are going to be great and elite.

I think Noel is going to be a very, very good player. I am very high on him and I think he has proven a lot already.

I find it hard to get excited about Embiid though given the multiple injuries he has already suffered and some of these criticisms about his work-ethic and character. That foot injury is scary. Same one that Big Z, McHale, Walton and Yao all had. He had a back injury in college too. Worrying place to get an injury.

So I am taking more of a wait and see approach with Embiid vs Noel who I am sold on.

I hope it works out for Embiid though. Sick at how many talented centers have had their careers wrecked by injuries over last 10 years. League needs more top talent centers.

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 05:03:21 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Maybe or his career could snowball down hill along with Philly's tank.

I hope so.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 05:23:27 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Now I don't want to rehash all the Sixers stuff but this could be a situation where the Sixers rebuilding strategy could hurt their players development.

Yes, all players should give their all at all times but this just isn't reality. Being around a team that is comprised mostly of d league players doesn't really give a player the extra motivation to get better.

While the Sixers might have players with the potential to be great assets, developing them in their current situation is a detriment to that development.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 05:26:46 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
If they'd given up on him, they'd be quiet about his shortcomings.

Sounds like they're still trying to get through to him.

Like the celtics with Sully?

whether you think they are trying to get through him because they believe he is the future or not, you have to also think about his value in a potential trade. If he gets it together, and lives up to his potential, great. Even if he does not reach his full potential or decides to bolt sometime in the future, he has value to get the 76ers some assets. If they cannot get to him in anyway, any sorts of his value will go down

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 06:14:41 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I think if these problems are true, the 76ers would take both of the Celtics 1st for Embiid

I don't think Danny would take the offer

I think Danny would give up both 1st round picks this year for him. I think that he would consider Embiid a reclaimation project/Trade asset at worst, and future championship piece at best.

Plus CBS and the Celtics rehab and conditioning team would put him in the best position to succeed, should he be motivated to be. And should his foot not be a major problem for the near future.

I agree.  Two firsts to get Embid, I think Danny jumps, especially since he would still have the Mavs pick, and the Nets ones.  He also would have the Sixers second rounder this year, around 34.  That's almost like a late first round pick and there will be some guys slip.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2015, 06:35:48 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I think if these problems are true, the 76ers would take both of the Celtics 1st for Embiid

I don't think Danny would take the offer

lol

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2015, 06:43:58 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Now I don't want to rehash all the Sixers stuff but this could be a situation where the Sixers rebuilding strategy could hurt their players development.

Yes, all players should give their all at all times but this just isn't reality. Being around a team that is comprised mostly of d league players doesn't really give a player the extra motivation to get better.

While the Sixers might have players with the potential to be great assets, developing them in their current situation is a detriment to that development.
Noel developed quiet well this season on team with a bunch of d leaguers.  The Sixers have the best motivation, minutes on the court, to offer young players.  Thomas Robinson was upset when the Sixers claimed him from waivers.  However when he got into their system, he was quite happy because he got significantly more playing time to show his capabilities. 

Embiid was stuck doing non-basketball activity for most of the season.  It isn't surprising that he had motivational issues.  Once he reached the point in his recovery where he could do basketball activities, his work effort has been fine.   

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2015, 06:49:34 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Yes, all players should give their all at all times but this just isn't reality. Being around a team that is comprised mostly of d league players doesn't really give a player the extra motivation to get better, even sooner.

Noel developed quiet well this season on team with a bunch of d leaguers.  The Sixers have the best motivation, minutes on the court, to offer young players.  Thomas Robinson was upset when the Sixers claimed him from waivers.  However when he got into their system, he was quite happy because he got significantly more playing time to show his capabilities. 

Embiid was stuck doing non-basketball activity for most of the season.  It isn't surprising that he had motivational issues.  Once he reached the point in his recovery where he could do basketball activities, his work effort has been fine.
Noel took until the second half of the year to start giving them really good minutes. I believe that had he been surrounded by veterans trying to win games he would have played even better.

You really can't be 100% sure about Embiid's timeline, maybe he started off poorly then got more focused or maybe he didn't. it is extremely difficult to tell based on these stories.

In the end I think the downfall of the Sixers is that they aren't able to maximize their assets because of a lack of veteran leadership helping the young players develop.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2015, 03:44:54 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

You realize you have probably posted this 50 times. We get it, you like him and Noel. They are going to be great and elite

I think Noel is going to be a very, very good player. I am very high on him and I think he has proven a lot already.

I find it hard to get excited about Embiid though given the multiple injuries he has already suffered and some of these criticisms about his work-ethic and character. That foot injury is scary. Same one that Big Z, McHale, Walton and Yao all had. He had a back injury in college too. Worrying place to get an injury.

So I am taking more of a wait and see approach with Embiid vs Noel who I am sold on.

I hope it works out for Embiid though. Sick at how many talented centers have had their careers wrecked by injuries over last 10 years. League needs more top talent centers.
Total waste of time to argue about it.  This will all be a moot point in a couple months when summer league starts.  If everything I've read about Embiid is accurate, I think he's got a shot at rookie of the year.  Scouts said he was by far the best prospect in the 2014 draft and some felt he should have been taken 1st regardless of the injury.  The fact that he showed up late to rehab a couple times and gained a few pounds during his recovery means very little to me.  That's the mark of a kid who was frustrated that he couldn't play basketball.  He was dealing with a lot.  New country, brother died at the start of the season, and he couldn't use basketball as an outlet.

I get why people want to compare him to previous busts, but I think that narrative is too convenient.   Kid is going to be a beast.   I'm not going to be shocked to see Philly in the playoffs within two years.   Let's see how he looks in Summer league.