Author Topic: more Embiid work ethic problems  (Read 13279 times)

more Embiid work ethic problems
« on: April 18, 2015, 10:46:54 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

"Howard EskinVerified account
?@howardeskin
I have been told #sixers no. 1 pick Joel Embiid fined thousands of dollars this season 4 being late and missing multiple rehab sessions."

and

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20150417_Joel_Embiid_s_work_ethic_needs_work__Brett_Brown_says.html

"But another problem was that he wasn't always a willing workout participant, according to sources. He even blew off conditioning drills, one source added."

"There's a chance this injury will hinder Embiid's career the way it has for other 7-footers. Like Embiid, Yao Ming suffered a stress fracture to the navicular bone - in 2008 and again in 2009. Yao eventually was forced to retire in 2011 because of the injury.

"It's always a concern," Brown said. "I attribute it directly to his weight."

The Sixers talk to Embiid constantly about his diet. They believe Embiid understands that excess weight takes a toll over 82 games of pounding and running rim to rim.

"Through my voice it has been delivered almost as fear," Brown said. "It should scare the hell out of him. This is his future.""

Re: more Embiid work ethic problems
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 10:52:38 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
A lot of these things seem to be in the past tense. I think they are just regurgitation of the things that had happened earlier in the year. I couldn't see anywhere in the article were they say the problems are on-going. It is all past tense.

There was an article about a month ago (same newspaper) that said these were all problems in the early and middle part of the season but that Embiid had turned a corner and that Coach Brett Brown was now happy with how Embiid was taking things more seriously. That there was a problem in the past. That has been addressed. That things were going better now.

At least ... that is how the article came across to me -- discussing past problems with Embiid rather than current problems.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 10:54:49 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
A lot of these things seem to be in the past tense. I think they are just regurgitation of the things that had happened earlier in the year. I couldn't see anywhere in the article were they say the problems are on-going. It is all past tense.

There was an article about a month ago (same newspaper) that said these were all problems in the early and middle part of the season but that Embiid had turned a corner and that Coach Brett Brown was now happy with how Embiid was taking things more seriously. That there was a problem in the past. That has been addressed. That things were going better now.

At least ... that is how the article came across to me.

maybe... but it makes you wonder why these reports are resurfacing again yesterday and today in the media...

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 11:16:23 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
If they'd given up on him, they'd be quiet about his shortcomings.

Sounds like they're still trying to get through to him.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 11:17:13 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Like the celtics with Sully?

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 11:19:14 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

My understanding is that the linked article was the first time that someone from the Sixers acknowledged that there were issues with Embiid and that there were Sixer fans who had denied the claims as a result. Apparently Embiid has turned a corner of sorts now that he's been allowed to work out, but there remains a legitimate question about his maturity and dedication to the game nonetheless. 

Based on I have read, it's clear that he has rare physical talent and I was on the bandwagon early last year. However, he needs a lot of work to transform that talent into NBA skills.  I'd be surprised that he ever achieves the level of guys like LBJ, Kobe, Duncan, and KG and dozens of others who are/were franchise makers.  Those guys were driven personalities. I don't get that sense about Embiid in this article or in other things I've read.

There's also the medical risk with his feet and back that will play out one way or the other over time, but there's not much he can do about that even if he becomes dedicated to conditioning.  A lot of players take a while to get on the conditioning/diet bandwagon, but he has less room for delay given his history (so did Sully who at the very least appears to have ate his way out of a more lucrative contract).

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 11:20:40 AM »

Offline MasterEmile

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 46

maybe... but it makes you wonder why these reports are resurfacing again yesterday and today in the media...

2 days off before the playoffs with nothing to talk about?

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 11:24:07 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

It's the Sixers media, they are used to not talking about playoffs.

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 11:27:40 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think if these problems are true, the 76ers would take both of the Celtics 1st for Embiid

I don't think Danny would take the offer

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 11:28:54 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

My understanding is that the linked article was the first time that someone from the Sixers acknowledged that there were issues with Embiid and that there were Sixer fans who had denied the claims as a result. Apparently Embiid has turned a corner of sorts now that he's been allowed to work out, but there remains a legitimate question about his maturity and dedication to the game nonetheless. 

Based on I have read, it's clear that he has rare physical talent and I was on the bandwagon early last year. However, he needs a lot of work to transform that talent into NBA skills.  I'd be surprised that he ever achieves the level of guys like LBJ, Kobe, Duncan, and KG and dozens of others who are/were franchise makers.  Those guys were driven personalities. I don't get that sense about Embiid in this article or in other things I've read.

There's also the medical risk with his feet and back that will play out one way or the other over time, but there's not much he can do about that even if he becomes dedicated to conditioning.  A lot of players take a while to get on the conditioning/diet bandwagon, but he has less room for delay given his history (so did Sully who at the very least appears to have ate his way out of a more lucrative contract).

That makes sense, and I agree that he seems to lack the mindset needed to ever approach his potential. When you add to that his injury history and injury risk, he's a major gamble. With all the comparisons to Olajuwon, there were never any questions about his maturity and work ethic like there are for Embiid. The only issue with him early on was his lack of basketball experience in general. I just don't see Embiid becoming a top tier center, and considering how good Noel looks lately, the Sixers would be wise to move Embiid before other teams see that he is a lazy , undeveloped player.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 11:31:48 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
looks like kid needs to change his attitude if he wants to reach the expectations set for him. I know some discounted the social media antics, but I believe those antics show him to be an unserious character. He really needs to change so he does not go the way of Benoit Benjamin.

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 11:37:54 AM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
I think if these problems are true, the 76ers would take both of the Celtics 1st for Embiid

I don't think Danny would take the offer

I think Danny would give up both 1st round picks this year for him. I think that he would consider Embiid a reclaimation project/Trade asset at worst, and future championship piece at best.

Plus CBS and the Celtics rehab and conditioning team would put him in the best position to succeed, should he be motivated to be. And should his foot not be a major problem for the near future.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 11:57:49 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Like the celtics with Sully?

Yes, though with Sully they could only be trying to get him in shape for a trade. I really haven't seen any pics that suggest Embiid is half of what Sully is in the overweight department.

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 12:02:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

It's the Sixers media, they are used to not talking about playoffs.
Sixers are just 3 seasons removed from playoffs in 4 of 5 years including the 2nd round in their most recent appearance.  This isn't the Kings who haven't been in the playoffs in 9 seasons.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 03:35:41 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.