Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) at Cavaliers (0-0) Round 1 Game 1 4/18/15  (Read 82549 times)

Celtics (0-0) at Cavaliers (0-0) Round 1 Game 1 4/18/15
« on: April 17, 2015, 10:14:51 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (0-0) at Cleveland Cavaliers (0-0)
Sunday, April 19, 2015
3:00 PM ET
Playoffs Round 1, Game 1
TV: ABC,  TSN2
Quicken Loans Arena

Probable Starters

PG:  Marcus Smart ....................................... SG:  Avery Bradley

C:  Tyler Zeller

SF:  Evan Turner....................................... PF: Brandon Bass

Celtics Reserves

Gerald Wallace
Jae Crowder
Phil Pressey
Jared Sullinger
Kelly Olynyk
Isaiah Thomas
Jonas Jerebko
Gigi Datome
James Young
Chris Babb

Injuries
None

Head Coach

Brad Stevens

Probable Starters

PG: Kyrie Irving.................................... SG: JR Smith

C: Timofey Mozgov

SF: LeBron James............................... PF: Kevin Love

Cavs Reserves

Mike Miller
Tristan Thompson
Joe Harris
Matthew Dellavedova
Iman Shumpert
James Jones
Brendan Haywood
Shawn Marion
Kendrick Perkins

Injuries
Anderson Varejao (Achilles)  out

Head Coach
David Blatt

Game Notes
The Celtics, who were pegged by most to end up in the lottery, begin their playoff experience on the road in Cleveland.  Outside of Boston, not many expect the Celtics to put up much of a fight.  Jalen Rose picked the Celtics as the most likely to be swept.  On the other hand,  Mike Gorman picked the Celtics to win the series in 6. 

This is the 6th time that these two teams have met in the playoffs.  The  Cavs  are  10-5  all time at  home against Boston  in  the  postseason.  The Cavs are looking to beat the Celtics in the series for just the second time . 

Both teams are mostly healthy with minor bumps and bruises here and there.  Avery Bradley missed the Celtics last regular season game with a quad injury but is good to go in this one.  Kelly Olynyk left the Bucks game to get 5 stitches in his head, but is also good to go.  Jae Crowder has had a sore ankle but it shouldn't limit him.  Jared Sullinger is still getting back to game shape after missing 24 games previously.  For the Cavs,  Kyrie Irving missed the last 3 games of the season with a sore hip but should be good to go in this one. 

All 17 of ESPN's "experts" picked the Cavs to win the series in anywhere from 4 to 6 games.   But then again in 2008, all but one of their "experts" picked the Lakers to beat the Celtics. The season series was tied 2-2 but you can't take much from that as the first game included a different roster for both teams, the last two games, the Cavs rested their starters for all or part of the game. 

The 2nd game, in which both teams had their current rosters, the Cavs blew out the Celtics 110-79.  The Celtics didn't play with much effort in that game, however.  The Celtics are loose and confident coming into this game with all the pressure on the Cavs.  They have nothing to lose, since they weren't even expected to be in the playoffs.  But, they have much to gain in experience for their young players. 

Key Matchups
vs
Marcus Smart vs Kyrie Irving
Irving is one of the top point guards in the league and will be a tough matchup for Marcus Smart.  Irving missed the last two games between these two teams.   He is averaging 21.7 points, 3.2 rebounds and 5.2 assists per game.  Smart will need to play tough defense to try to slow him down. 
vs
Evan Turner vs LeBron James
LeBron James is a tough cover for anyone and he will definitely be tough for Evan Turner.
James is averaging 25.3 points, 7.4 assists and 6.0 rebounds.   Jae Crowder will probably see time guarding James as will Brandon Bass, who has had some success in the past at covering him.   They will also need to make James work hard on the defensive end. 

Honorable Mention

Brandon Bass vs Kevin Love
Love is also a tough cover as he stretches the floor and can score both inside and outside.  He is averaging 16.4 points, 9.7rebounds, and 0.5 blocks.  He is a very good 3 point shooter and can also take the ball into the paint.  Bass will have his hands full  trying to keep up with him.

Interesting Side Story

Boston fan favorite (my favorite, anyway) Kendrick Perkins will be playing against the Celtics in the playoffs for the first time since winning a Championship with the Celtics in 2008.  Tyler Zeller is playing against the team that traded him away this season in order to make room for LeBron James. 

Keys to the Game
Defense Defense Defense!! Defense wins Championships is not just a cute saying.  Playing tough defense is the key to winning every game.  The Celtics have been playing good defense recently,  but they need to ramp up their defense even more in the playoffs when the intensity increases.  The Cavs are 21-0 at home when they score 100+ points. They need to defend the paint as well as the 3 point line because the Cavs are very good at both.     It will be very important for the Celtics to play tough defense on the Cavs and concentrate on getting stops. 

Rebound - The Celtics can't score if they don't have the ball. They must crash the boards as a team to prevent the Cavs from getting second chance and fast break points. They also need to rebound to give themselves extra possessions and to fuel their running game.

Run! Run! Run!  - The Celtics need to push the pace of the game and keep the Cavs running. If they do, they will have a chance to get some easy points before the Cavs defense sets up.  When the Celtics walk the ball up and slow the game down they struggle.  They have to run and they have to move the ball.  No hero ball.   The Celtics are young and deep and should be able to run the entire game. 

Play with Effort
- The Celtics have been winning games by putting out more effort than their opponents. They don't have the talent that the Cavs do, so they have to make up for it with effort and aggressiveness.  Their effort was very poor in the last meeting between these two teams when they were both at full strength and they lost by 31.  They can't afford to come out with less than a full effort.   They have to be the first team to loose balls and rebounds, and they have to be the team that works harder if they want to have a chance to win this game.

Play 48 Minutes The Celtics have to play hard for 48 minutes from the opening tip to the final buzzer.   They can't afford to let the Cavs get a big lead because the Cavs are a very good defensive team and it won't be easy to dig out of a hole against them.  They also can't let the Cavs back in it if they can manage to get out to a lead themselves.

Go to the Hoop - The Celtics need to go to the hoop and get into the paint.  3-pointers are nice and all but when they aren't falling, they can take a team right out of a game.  The Celtics need to drive more and not rely as much on shooting from beyond the arc, especially when they aren't falling.  Of course, hopefully they will be hitting their 3's. 

X-Factors
Over Confidence, Effort and Officiating

The Cavs may be over confident and take the Celtics lightly,  although they have said that they are taking them very seriously.   The Celtics win on their effort and their grit and ability to grind games out.  If the effort is there,  they have a chance. 

If you have ever watched the Cavs play, you know that they almost always get the benefit of the officiating.  The fact that a ref stood there and watched Kendrick Perkins take 9 steps without calling a travel is proof of that.  LeBron gets away with offensive fouls just about every time he drives to the basket.  Hopefully they will give the Celtics a fair shake in this game. 

Re: Celtics (0-0) at Cavaliers (0-0) Round 1 Game 1 4/18/15
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 10:31:26 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Playoffs baby! Go CELTICS!!

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 10:36:47 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Isn't Game 1 Sunday?

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 10:42:20 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP mr. dee for being the first to post in the game thread.  Go Celtics!!!!

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 10:43:16 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Isn't Game 1 Sunday?
Yes it is, Sunday 3:00 but I am so excited for the playoffs I got the thread up a day early. 

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 11:37:57 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
When playing against Lebron, is the officiating ever an x-factor, lol? ;D Sorry, but this isn't my first rodeo, haha. ;) ::) ;D Ugh.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 12:45:10 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TP FL Celts for your exuberance in getting the thread up early.

Here's hoping that you do AT LEAST 7 more of these before this season is over, because we know what that will mean!!!!!

The major advantage that I see we have is that our head coach (CBS) is better at coaching than their de facto head coach (LBJ). ;) ;) ;D ;D

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 01:18:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Attack Love on Offense whenever he can just like teams target Sully when he is in there.   Irving is not the best defender either.

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 03:58:25 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
If either Avery or Marcus is sitting on the bench within the first 5 minutes with 2 fouls you know that the Celts will not even be given a chance to compete in this series.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 07:42:52 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
TP FL, I share your excitement, if only the game started today too!

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 09:20:26 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Let's shock the world, Celtics.  Go C's!!!

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 09:44:43 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Isn't Game 1 Sunday?
Yes it is, Sunday 3:00 but I am so excited for the playoffs I got the thread up a day early.
TY and TP. I've been so bored waiting for the game the last few days. Great idea to start the game thread early!

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 09:50:53 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
TP FL Celts for your exuberance in getting the thread up early.

Here's hoping that you do AT LEAST 7 more of these before this season is over, because we know what that will mean!!!!!

The major advantage that I see we have is that our head coach (CBS) is better at coaching than their de facto head coach (LBJ). ;) ;) ;D ;D
Hopefully be the end of the series we will all be saying -

I am a witness....

But it won't be for Lebron. It will be for Brad Stevens and his coaching.  ;D

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 10:07:01 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
When playing against Lebron, is the officiating ever an x-factor, lol? ;D Sorry, but this isn't my first rodeo, haha. ;) ::) ;D Ugh.

Air conditioning is also a factor ;D

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 11:44:37 AM »

Online Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
How am I expected to wait another 3 hours for this??? The anxiety is building up already.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler