Author Topic: Cavs fan here. It's payback time, Boston. We've been waiting 5 years for this...  (Read 80121 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I agree with others that Lebron is unlikeable.  A lot of superstars will be hated by fans because of jealousy, etc.  With Lebron, that's some of it, but it goes beyond that.  The ego and arrogance is always going to rub folks the wrong way; it's hard to like a guy who refers to himself as "King".  The marketing, the anointing by the media, the coddling by the refs, the jumping ship to Miami...  He's just not a guy who is easy to embrace.

But, you can hate the player, but don't hate his game.  He's a tremendously talented player who has consistently maximized that talent recently.  He struggled earlier in his career in a handful of playoff series, but has excelled since 2012 (and even before that, had plenty of epic playoff performances).  He's played with some star teammates, sure, but at least with Irving and Love, neither had played in a playoff series before he arrived; now, they're Vegas' favorite to win the title.

Fans come across as petty when they suggest that Lebron can't win without the refs, or that he's a serial choker.  Neither is true.  Lebron is still the best player in the game by a wide margin, and there's no player who individually gives his team a better shot to win a title.
Doesn't much of what you say apply to virtually every great player in the NBA over the last 25ish years (maybe even before that).  Sure there are exceptions here and there, but one of the reasons guys reach that super greatness level is they have the ego, drive, and work ethic to get there.  If you don't believe you are the best you will never be the best.

Almost all stars are going to have large egos.  Not all of them are going to refer to themselves as "King" or "Chosen One", act like a petulant child at times (the Dirk "cough" thing comes to mind), and hold WWE-style pep rallies.  Lebron has singled himself out with his behavior, which goes beyond anything we've seen from any superstar in league history.  Lebron deserves some of the dislike he gets, because he's made himself into a pompous caricature of an athlete.  He doesn't get enough credit for his talent and his leadership from many rival fans, largely because he's chosen to distract from all that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the simplest way I can describe what bugs me about LeBron is that he presents as a guy who has all the physical gifts you could ask for, who has had things go his way pretty much his whole life, who walks into every game with an advantage over pretty much every other guy on the floor. 

Despite all that, he still preens and puffs himself up and bellows and acts like Conan the Barbarian regardless of the size of his accomplishment -- even if it's pounding home an open dunk against a far inferior opponent.  He still goes ballistic when calls go against him, even if his team is up 20 points and the series is 3-0 in his favor. 

The guy just doesn't have it in him to step back and think, "Hey, you know, maybe I don't need to act like a prince right now.  Maybe I can just let my play and my accomplishments speak for me.  Maybe this isn't the time to make everything about me."

When things go right for LeBron, there's just an air of well, this is how things are meant to be.  Of course I won.  That's how the world operates.  I can't imagine LeBron ever having a moment like Dirk, who had to leave the court and go to the locker room for a few minutes before meeting with reporters after his team won Game 6 in 2011 because he was so overcome by emotion.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Just saw this on ESPN Boston:

Still cleaning up: The Cavaliers released red-and-yellow streamers and confetti at the final buzzer of Sunday's Game 1 triumph. On Monday morning, workers were still cleaning it off the floor at Quicken Loans Arena.

Celebrating an opening-round, Game 1 win over a sub-.500 team like they just won the title.

Heh. Heh heh. *stifles laughter*
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Just saw this on ESPN Boston:

Still cleaning up: The Cavaliers released red-and-yellow streamers and confetti at the final buzzer of Sunday's Game 1 triumph. On Monday morning, workers were still cleaning it off the floor at Quicken Loans Arena.

Celebrating an opening-round, Game 1 win over a sub-.500 team like they just won the title.

Heh. Heh heh. *stifles laughter*

Just like the first go round with LeBron, regardless of how good the team is, Cleveland just can't help acting like a city of losers.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I agree with others that Lebron is unlikeable.  A lot of superstars will be hated by fans because of jealousy, etc.  With Lebron, that's some of it, but it goes beyond that.  The ego and arrogance is always going to rub folks the wrong way; it's hard to like a guy who refers to himself as "King".  The marketing, the anointing by the media, the coddling by the refs, the jumping ship to Miami...  He's just not a guy who is easy to embrace.

But, you can hate the player, but don't hate his game.  He's a tremendously talented player who has consistently maximized that talent recently.  He struggled earlier in his career in a handful of playoff series, but has excelled since 2012 (and even before that, had plenty of epic playoff performances).  He's played with some star teammates, sure, but at least with Irving and Love, neither had played in a playoff series before he arrived; now, they're Vegas' favorite to win the title.

Fans come across as petty when they suggest that Lebron can't win without the refs, or that he's a serial choker.  Neither is true.  Lebron is still the best player in the game by a wide margin, and there's no player who individually gives his team a better shot to win a title.
Doesn't much of what you say apply to virtually every great player in the NBA over the last 25ish years (maybe even before that).  Sure there are exceptions here and there, but one of the reasons guys reach that super greatness level is they have the ego, drive, and work ethic to get there.  If you don't believe you are the best you will never be the best.

Almost all stars are going to have large egos.  Not all of them are going to refer to themselves as "King" or "Chosen One", act like a petulant child at times (the Dirk "cough" thing comes to mind), and hold WWE-style pep rallies.  Lebron has singled himself out with his behavior, which goes beyond anything we've seen from any superstar in league history.  Lebron deserves some of the dislike he gets, because he's made himself into a pompous caricature of an athlete.  He doesn't get enough credit for his talent and his leadership from many rival fans, largely because he's chosen to distract from all that.

+1

Please note: Lebron will not see any of this for a while because he wrote ""zero dark thirty-23 activated" meaning he will not access any information during the playoffs.

Offline Kormanation

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
The Celtics are a cute little team. Annoying, pesky, try hard.  Zero chance of winning.  No matter how many times Brad Stevens golf claps.  The team is just void of talent.  But I give them a lot of credit. They try.  And that's all you can ask for...

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The Celtics are a cute little team. Annoying, pesky, try hard.  Zero chance of winning.  No matter how many times Brad Stevens golf claps.  The team is just void of talent.  But I give them a lot of credit. They try.  And that's all you can ask for...

I think "void of talent" is a little harsh.  Certainly void of elite talent.  But some of these players are pretty good. 

But yeah, they've given about all you could possible ask from a team with a comparable amount of talent and experience.
- Mark Twain

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Better to be known as trying hard to the end (with maybe less talent), than to be known as quitting inder adversity, (with all the talent in the world).  Makes the successes sweeter and the disappointments more understandable. 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Cavs need refs to win, even against the Celtics.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

The worst thing a fanbase can do is always blame the refs for when their team loses.
- Mark Twain

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I don't believe in reffing conspiracies, but boy was this crew bad tonight. Missed ALOT called many fouls that weren't. Folks let's be serious the Cavs are better, but can at least we have a game where it's reffed well? Really really frustrating how bad they were tonight. When the announcers of the game say multiple times " that was a bad call" you know you've got a bad crew.

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

The worst thing a fanbase can do is always blame the refs for when their team loses.

This. TP.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Better to be known as trying hard to the end (with maybe less talent), than to be known as quitting inder adversity, (with all the talent in the world).  Makes the successes sweeter and the disappointments more understandable.

What TB18 said.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't believe in reffing conspiracies, but boy was this crew bad tonight. Missed ALOT called many fouls that weren't. Folks let's be serious the Cavs are better, but can at least we have a game where it's reffed well? Really really frustrating how bad they were tonight. When the announcers of the game say multiple times " that was a bad call" you know you've got a bad crew.

Outside of a stretch in the third quarter, I thought the game was officiated pretty well. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

One of the worst things a person can do is bury their head in the sand like an Ostrich.