Author Topic: Bird and Vogel pull out the assault rifle on Hibbert in their exit interviews.  (Read 5277 times)

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Probably the most blunt end-of-season comments I've ever seen. As netw3rk said, "I'm not saying he should opt out. I'm just saying he should think about opting out."

Bird said he'd like to change the #Pacers offensive style: play smaller, faster, score more points. Talked to Vogel about playing PG at 4

After speaking optimistically about bringing Scola and Stuckey back:

Bird on Hibbert: "Whatever he does, he does. We'll assume he's going to come back." If he does, #Pacers still want to play different style

If #Pacers make this change, it doesn't look good for slow and lumbering Roy Hibbert and his future in Indy.

Bird emphasizes #Pacers want Hibbert here BUT… team will play smaller. Again, not looking good for the 7-2 rim protector.

Does new scheme mean Roy Hibbert will be benched, Vogel said: "Possibly."
"Roy's role will be diminished."
There it is again.

Vogel's "gut" is telling him that David West will opt in. What does Vogel's gut tell him about Roy's plans? "Yeah, I really don't know."

"I'd expect him to opt in, he's got a good deal… it'll be speculative for me to make a guess like that." Vogel on Roy Hibbert.

More here:

https://twitter.com/CandaceDBuckner

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Mama mia!

That left a mark.

I was mildly interested in him playing for the Celtics...but not anymore!

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
It's interesting how this indicates how the league is looking at rosters differently.  No doubt influenced by the success of GS and, to a certain extent, the Celts.  Seems like teams will be putting lower value on slower big guys, who can't keep up with the fast paced style of ball movement and cutting that is being a premium in today's NBA.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Mama mia!

That left a mark.

I was mildly interested in him playing for the Celtics...but not anymore!

Would never want Hibbert anywhere near this team... Bird is right, hes too slow to keep up with how the NBA is changing to a more dynamic/speedier tempo.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Last year I said Rudy Gobert can effectively do the job of Roy Hibbert. I was criticized. Now it looks like I made an understatement.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Reads to me more like they want to lower Hibberts contract value.  (especially with the number of times mentioning they expect him back)

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Reads to me more like they want to lower Hibberts contract value.  (especially with the number of times mentioning they expect him back)

Hibbert has a player's option.  Sounds more like they're resigned to him opting in.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I took it more as an attempt to get him to opt out so they can use that money elsewhere. I'm sure Hibbert and his agent know that if he puts up mediocre stats with low playing time next season in Indiana, his next deal will be much, much smaller in dollar amounts. Pass up he sure money net season to earn much more money later on.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The Pacers clearly want Hibbert and West to opt out so they can have the cap space. I don't see either of them opting out.

I would trade Hibbert for the Clippers pick but probably not more than that.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I've consistently said I don't want Hibbert on this team. He's too expensive, too slow, too soft and too unproductive. He plays like he's in a coma.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

I took it more as an attempt to get him to opt out so they can use that money elsewhere. I'm sure Hibbert and his agent know that if he puts up mediocre stats with low playing time next season in Indiana, his next deal will be much, much smaller in dollar amounts. Pass up he sure money net season to earn much more money later on.

Exactly. They're not even concerned with what this might to do to his trade value. They just want him to leave. They expect him to stick around because that's a lot of money to leave on the table.

Also:

"Well, Lance ain't stealing his rebounds this year..." - Larry on Roy

https://twitter.com/Grady/status/589084208867450880

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

I agree. But in so doing, they are also reducing his trade value.

I'd love to see Hibbert in green with Love or Monroe next to him, especially if they are giving up on him and we can get him for value.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
It sound strange to me to publicly state desire to change style of play to something completely different when they have no bigs or guards on their roster capable of creating that new style. I wonder how they are planning to create this new-look team.

Also, seems strange to want such a large change when current team has been so successful in recent years and who with some smaller changes could still win a Championship.

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
They were relatively successful in weak Eastern conferences where the only other true contender for the past three seasons was the Miami Heat, who defeated them with a style of play more akin to what the Pacers want to transform into. They want to build around their best player, who happens to be an athletic small forward. The slow, bruising style is better suited for West and Hibbert... neither of whom are likely in their future plans.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
They were relatively successful in weak Eastern conferences where the only other true contender for the past three seasons was the Miami Heat, who defeated them with a style of play more akin to what the Pacers want to transform into. They want to build around their best player, who happens to be an athletic small forward. The slow, bruising style is better suited for West and Hibbert... neither of whom are likely in their future plans.
I agree with this view. PG is better in a faster style of play.