Author Topic: I believe that if we win the first two games, the Cavs will fold.  (Read 11068 times)

Re: I believe that if we win the first two games, the Cavs will fold.
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2015, 02:25:49 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
I'm getting the feeling a lot of people around here have not watched The Cavs play basketball.

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2015, 03:12:45 PM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
  I believe if we win 4 games straight, it'll be a sweep. amiamiright ?

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2015, 03:21:14 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
  I believe if we win 4 games straight, it'll be a sweep. amiamiright ?

Only if it's the first four games. ;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2015, 03:22:11 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
BTW, on the medieval Romania vs Ottoman Empire analogy, it's worth pointing out that in the end, Vlad was defeated and 2/3s of Romania was annexed by the Sultan.

But what's interesting about that story is that it was a decade and a half military campaign, against a wily and sadistic field commander. Drawing from one of the largest empires of its time, the Sultan could continually resupply both troops and weapons, to his worn out divisions. Vlad was continually experiencing attrition with less capacity over time. Eventually, he would have been defeated. It was kinda inevitable.

And this brings us back to the 1st round. If the Cavs had let's say 15 or 21 games, it's very likely that whatever psychological blow the Celts could impose on games 1 and 2, will quickly be dissipated by game 7. And then, it'll be war of attrition where every tactic of BS, will be countered by an adjustment on the Cav's side.  In a 15 game series, the Cav's win 8-5. And in that scenario, it's Brad Stevens who'll be impaled, not LeBron James, during game 13.

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
If Stevens pulls off one game of the first two in Cleveland they'll win the series.  Doubt will have been put in James mind, and the Leprechaun is out of the bag.  Their superstar roster will fold, not listen to their coach, and if that happens you can look at LJ for being the No1 head case to drag his team down again.  The roster Cleveland has, the Celtics should really not even win a quarter, but that's why you play the games.  Hey, I didn't expect Golden State to beat Dallas, the year GS was an 8 seed and Dallas was a favorite to win it all and a 1 seed, but hey - things happen.  Was Boston actually going to win 4 in a row after going down 3 nothing to the Yankees that year, even though it had never been done before.  This is why you play the games, the human spirit, for better or worse, is on full display.

« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2015, 10:23:05 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
Hey, I didn't expect Golden State to beat Dallas, the year GS was an 8 seed and Dallas was a favorite to win it all and a 1 seed, but hey - things happen.  Was Boston actually going to win 4 in a row after going down 3 nothing to the Yankees that year, even though it had never been done before.  This is why you play the games, the human spirit, for better or worse, is on full display.

Yes, just like back in 1980, when no one believed that an upstart USA Olympic hockey team could beat a fully stacked national Soviet squad, coming from behind.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp-j6GJJgJ8[/youtube]

But it happened and two days later, the US team repeated against Finland to take the gold. If the Celts had that attitude, nothing could stop 'em.

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2015, 11:34:44 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Just wait and see what will happen if we win the four first games

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2015, 11:48:58 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Hey, I didn't expect Golden State to beat Dallas, the year GS was an 8 seed and Dallas was a favorite to win it all and a 1 seed, but hey - things happen.  Was Boston actually going to win 4 in a row after going down 3 nothing to the Yankees that year, even though it had never been done before.  This is why you play the games, the human spirit, for better or worse, is on full display.

Yes, just like back in 1980, when no one believed that an upstart USA Olympic hockey team could beat a fully stacked national Soviet squad, coming from behind.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp-j6GJJgJ8[/youtube]

But it happened and two days later, the US team repeated against Finland to take the gold. If the Celts had that attitude, nothing could stop 'em.

Golden State presented a ton of matchup problems for Dallas, though, not to mention that Don Nelson knew so much about their players and coaches after being there for so long, so that's why it's a completely different set of circumstances to me.  That Warriors team also had stars, like Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson, and Corey Maggette, while he we have, well, no such players.

Also, Miracle was only one game, and might not have even happened if the Soviet coach put his backup goalie in, lol. ;D Great movie, though. :) All I'm saying is that both situations were far different to what this series will be, and it's not even appropriate to use the word series, imo, because we're doomed, lol. ;D Five games - max.

Edit - I've changed my mind.  TP for the Miracle reference.  It might not be exactly the same in terms of sport and format, but for some reason our roster reminds me of that hockey team.  The question, now, of course, is who is our Jim Craig?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 12:13:22 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2015, 12:54:09 AM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
Also, Miracle was only one game, and might not have even happened if the Soviet coach put his backup goalie in, lol. ;D Great movie, though. :) All I'm saying is that both situations were far different to what this series will be, and it's not even appropriate to use the word series, imo, because we're doomed, lol. ;D Five games - max.

Edit - I've changed my mind.  TP for the Miracle reference.  It might not be exactly the same in terms of sport and format, but for some reason our roster reminds me of that hockey team.  The question, now, of course, is who is our Jim Craig?

The actual *Miracle* were two games. The second was with Finland, a team, also considered to be greater than Team USA.

Without that 2nd win, the Soviets get Gold, and the USA, Bronze, as these weren't elimination rounds but highest wins polling.

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2015, 01:00:09 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

The actual *Miracle* were two games. The second was with Finland, a team, also considered to be greater than Team USA.

Without that 2nd win, the Soviets get Gold, and the USA, Bronze, as these weren't elimination rounds but highest wins polling.

I know, but beating the Soviets had to feel like winning the gold medal, lol. ;D They really had an incredible hockey team for a very long time.  When even Canada can't beat you, you know you're on to something, eh, lol? ;) ;D

I guess it's like the Red Sox beating the Yankees in 2004. 

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2015, 01:07:29 AM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
I'm getting the feeling a lot of people around here have not watched The Cavs play basketball.

I think we played the Cavs twice at the end of the season.  Won both games too.  Hey, it is fun to be the underdog.  Honestly, Boston teams have won so many titles in the last 10 or so years, I almost prefer the scrappy teams that play hard, but aren't really all that good.  Seeing some guys take real joy in getting to play, fun to watch.  Bad News Bears like... 

Lebron James, the most boring person in sports to me.  I wouldn't pay a dime to watch him play. 

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2015, 01:09:52 AM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum

I know, but beating the Soviets had to feel like winning the gold medal, lol. ;D They really had an incredible hockey team for a very long time.  When even Canada can't beat you, you know you're on to something, eh, lol? ;) ;D

Yes and No. That miracle in '04 against the NYY was definitely a miracle, however, St Louis was not up to snuff, against the Red Sox.

In contrast, there was no reason for the USA to beat Finland, aside from having pure heart and tenacity. And that's what had occurred on that fateful day. There is no event in modern American sports history, which compares to the 1980 US Olympic hockey team at Lake Placid.

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2015, 01:20:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If the Celts had that attitude, nothing could stop 'em.

except lack of talent, that stops a lot of teams in the end.   There are less miracles than not.

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2015, 01:31:16 AM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
If the Celts had that attitude, nothing could stop 'em.

except lack of talent, that stops a lot of teams in the end.   There are less miracles than not.

Even during our prior Big 3 era, had series going a full 7 games, as in Philly during '12, a team, clearly not as talented as the Celts. Was it not conceivable, that Philly could have advanced, and not Boston?

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2015, 01:38:28 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Yes and No. That miracle in '04 against the NYY was definitely a miracle, however, St Louis was not up to snuff, against the Red Sox.

In contrast, there was no reason for the USA to beat Finland, aside from having pure heart and tenacity. And that's what had occurred on that fateful day. There is no event in modern American sports history, which compares to the 1980 US Olympic hockey team at Lake Placid.

I wasn't arguing with you, lol. ;D The Red Sox comeback just seemed to be the closest thing to the US beating the USSR.