Author Topic: What's Isaiah Thomas' value this offseason?  (Read 6744 times)

What's Isaiah Thomas' value this offseason?
« on: April 16, 2015, 03:11:24 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
No, I'm not disappointed in our playoff run because I'm asking this question. I'm very excited about this team and of course what it will look like in the future.

So I ask, what could Isaiah Thomas get us this offseason? I started thinking about this when I proposed we deal him for Indy's #11 pick to send to Sacramento in a Cousins thread. Could he get us Indiana or Miami's 1st?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Re: What's Isaiah Thomas' value this offseason?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 03:16:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
So I ask, what could Isaiah Thomas get us this offseason? I started thinking about this when I proposed we deal him for Indy's #11 pick to send to Sacramento in a Cousins thread. Could he get us Indiana or Miami's 1st?
No.

I don't think his value has gone up much. He was roughly this productive in Sacramento and was still signed to a cheap deal and then moved for a low first round pick.

Nothing Isaiah has done for the C's has been different than what he's done over his career.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 03:24:17 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
No.

I don't think his value has gone up much. He was roughly this productive in Sacramento and was still signed to a cheap deal and then moved for a low first round pick.

Nothing Isaiah has done for the C's has been different than what he's done over his career.

I disagree. He's a top 2 candidate for Sixth Man of the Year. He's 26. He's on one of the NBA's best deals. You're right, all of this was pretty much known before (except somewhat of the Sixth Man thing), but actually seeing him as the consensus best player for a team that just tore up the league and made the playoffs over the last two months has done something for his trade value, IMO.

Would you trade the 10th or 11th pick for 26 year old Jamal Crawford on an extremely team friendly deal? I think I would. That's kinda how I see it.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 03:25:49 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
No.

You're right, all of this was pretty much known before (except somewhat of the Sixth Man thing),
So why do you think him coming off the bench effectively ups his value to a lottery pick?

Do you think he's as valued as George Hill? I don't.

He might be worth it based on production/boxscore numbers, but the league has shown the past two years the NBA market does not value him that highly.

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
No.

Agreed. What might change that perception is playoff performance. If he does more of the same in the playoffs, his value would go up. If he improves, his value might sky rocket, if it doesn't play as well, then  either it'll stay the same or go down slightly.

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 03:37:23 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
No.

You're right, all of this was pretty much known before (except somewhat of the Sixth Man thing),
So why do you think him coming off the bench effectively ups his value to a lottery pick?

I do. Hill is more than 2 years older, gets paid more annually, and isn't locked up as long. Hill has upped his value over the last 2 months as well, but with CJ Miles playing like he has along with the constantly recognized contributions of West and Hibbert, Hill is not the consistently identified catalyst for the Pacers' (unsuccessful) playoff push. Conversely, Thomas is the consistently identified catalyst for Boston's (successful) playoff push. I don't think relying completely on what Thomas has been worth in the past is fair. Before the Cs, when did Thomas ever step in immediately as a team's best player and lead them to something like a .750 winning percentage over their final 35 games?

I can agree with the sentiment BudweiserCeltic and yourself have pushed, which is that the playoffs will be a key determinant. If the Cs win 2 and Thomas averages 18-20 ppg, he's absolutely worth a late lotto pick IMO.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
No.

I do. Hill is more than 2 years older,
I'm sorry I wasn't clear, Is he more valued than George Hill was when SAS traded him for the pick that became Leonard.

I don't.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 03:43:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Thomas in a straight up trade for a draft pick isn't getting a pick in the teens and even the low 20's might be a stretch.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 03:47:35 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
No.

I do. Hill is more than 2 years older,
I'm sorry I wasn't clear, Is he more valued than George Hill was when SAS traded him for the pick that became Leonard.

I don't.

Ah, understood. I'm still going to say yes. The Spurs got bounced in the first round in his last year with them, so it's not as if his lesser production could be entirely excused by playing on a vastly superior team.

You may not think Isaiah Thomas is showing us something new as a Celtic, and you might be right. But for whatever reason, something is convincing people that he's Jamal Crawford's biggest competition for SMOTY, and I don't think that was the case in Phoenix (even if he was putting up great numbers there). My guess is, again, that he's been the obvious difference between a team that went from lotto-bound to a top ten team post-All-Star break. George Hill was never a contender for SMOTY and was never the nationally discussed hero of a team that completed a drastic midseason turnaround.

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 03:48:07 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
Thomas in a straight up trade for a draft pick isn't getting a pick in the teens and even the low 20's might be a stretch.

If that's the case Danny needs to start selling our late 1sts now, because they're incredibly overvalued.

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 03:57:38 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
His value may have improved to the point that it's slightly ahead of what Phoenix valued him at this season: the Cavaliers pick and salary filler.

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 03:59:14 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I think he could be worth a lotto pick to a team, but then again, many teams are set at the PG position. I'd trade him for a top-10 pick for sure but a pick in the teens I'd really hesitate. He's been such a huge part of the team's success.

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 04:15:47 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I think you got his value correct but I wouldn't trade him for the tenth or 11th pick.

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 04:54:19 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Trading IT and his cheap contract for a draft pick would be stupid. The only way I would trade IT is if you packaged him with Sully for a guy like Ibaka.  Smart is not ready to play PG, so you would have to add another PG (Augustine?) in the deal.  Ibaka would solve some rim protection issues, but it would still be hard to replace IT 's getting to the line and creation.

Strangley, i still think Thad Young would be a good fit at SF... especially if we keep Crowder and let Turner play primarily PG. Saves a roster spot (pressey), and gives us insurance for injury as Turner can play 3 positions.

Flexibility is key... Jerebko can play PF/C.... Turner PG/SG/SF.... Smart PG/SG.... Crowder SF/PF....KO PF/backup C...

I think that is DA/Brad are thinking to get the most out the roster.

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 04:57:13 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

If that's the case Danny needs to start selling our late 1sts now, because they're incredibly overvalued.

Yeah, I would be all over trading our late firsts /early 2nds for Thomas caliber players. I understand that players' value in the draft is inflated because of 'potential', but what are the chances a #20 pick is as successful as IT4 at the next level? Pretty slim. I guess that glimmer of hope that a gm will find the next Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan will always make an unproven commodity worth more than a proven quality one.

On a related note, I never understood why a gm won't trade a #20 pick for a guy like Thomas, but he will trade the #20 and #23 to move up to #17 - kind of the opposite logic on how valuable individual draft picks are worth.