Author Topic: sully  (Read 4476 times)

Re: sully
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 01:42:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he can be effective against CLE because they play a lot of half court ball and he is from Ohio and will be looking to impress the home town crowds.   He is dead weight in a running game as he is so out of shape.

I think he still looks slow and out of shape and is a defensive liability.  That being said, I would post him a lot against CLE.  No threes, it is simply not his shot and he is shooting the same woeful .28% as he did last year.   Get him inside, where he can also rebound which he is very good at.

I liked watching the team more without him.   We ran, we had bigs that actually rotate on D, Sully is so slow he just watches them most of the time. 

He needs a ways to go. At 260-270 he will be fine on the court. For personal health alone he should try for 250.
  I think it is a myth he will be fine if he loses weight.   He was in the bottom five of his combine in athletic performance.   He can't run, move or jump.   He does have a knack for scoring inside, knows how to use his body and great hands and is a solid rebounder.   

I know guys rave he is a 14 and 8 guy but the trouble is the guys he is guarding seem to score a little more most of the time.  He has won the matchup 17 times and lost  19 matchups and drawed even in 7 matchups this year.   This indicates that what we have is a slightly below guy who produces some.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/boston-celtics/players/jared-sullinger/profile/15/2/25

Please not only one of these games was recorded on that list post injury and it reflects only games in which he played meaningful minutes, I think 25 minutes

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 02:26:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think he can be effective against CLE because they play a lot of half court ball and he is from Ohio and will be looking to impress the home town crowds.   He is dead weight in a running game as he is so out of shape.

I think he still looks slow and out of shape and is a defensive liability.  That being said, I would post him a lot against CLE.  No threes, it is simply not his shot and he is shooting the same woeful .28% as he did last year.   Get him inside, where he can also rebound which he is very good at.

I liked watching the team more without him.   We ran, we had bigs that actually rotate on D, Sully is so slow he just watches them most of the time. 

He needs a ways to go. At 260-270 he will be fine on the court. For personal health alone he should try for 250.
  I think it is a myth he will be fine if he loses weight.   He was in the bottom five of his combine in athletic performance.   He can't run, move or jump.   He does have a knack for scoring inside, knows how to use his body and great hands and is a solid rebounder.   

I know guys rave he is a 14 and 8 guy but the trouble is the guys he is guarding seem to score a little more most of the time.  He has won the matchup 17 times and lost  19 matchups and drawed even in 7 matchups this year.   This indicates that what we have is a slightly below guy who produces some.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/boston-celtics/players/jared-sullinger/profile/15/2/25

Please not only one of these games was recorded on that list post injury and it reflects only games in which he played meaningful minutes, I think 25 minutes

Haven't been a fan of Sully's defense this season, but he has been a plus defender in the past, it's a matter of getting back to that. He's actually been defending quite good since he returned.

I'd be very careful on how hoopsstats is compiling that data. For example, just on a quick skim you notice that they tally Ilyasova against him. Yet, I really don't recall Sully guarding him much if at all during the whole game. I saw Bass on him plenty, I saw Jerebko and Olynyk on him plenty, but I don't recall Sullinger assigned to him per se... but I'm going by memory.

Considering how Sullinger is used, I wonder how many of these supposed match-ups that are tallied against him actually come from players Sully was actually defending. Not excusing his defense this season, as I said, not a fan, but bad data is bad data.

Our perimeter defense, even with having Smart and Bradley on the team, was very very porous through much of the season, particularly when Rondo was around. What that means is that often our bigs get caught out of position, which also in turn means that the bigs they're guarding are scoring through not fault of theirs. But again, weak defense has been something that has defined our bigs as a whole, not just Sully.

Bass for example is horrible. He does a fairly good job 1 on 1, but his rotations are terrible, his defensive awareness is terrible, but that's very hard to point out... just that it happens constantly. But it's easier to analyze players when the player they're guarding has the ball, and usually Bass looks fairly good on those occasions.

In all, haven't been a fan of Sully's defense throughout the season. I think his defense since he returned has been infinitely better. He has been very good defensively in the past, hope he returns to that, but the inconsistency does worry me. Hope his rebounding returns in the playoffs.

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 02:52:05 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
i thought i noticed jerebko getting his shot off quicker,maybe he was getting the ball in the right place.
also have noticed his hook shot getting blocked from behind, when he sweeps through the paint a few times recently
if jerebko can speed up his shot over the summer because he gets looks but if contested or senses a close out, he passes up a good shot-
because he is not a real creator but slasher ,he need to be able to get his very nice 3 pointer off.
now is that better--thanks
big difference in readaility -- TP for trying my suggestion -- much appreciated

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 08:16:57 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Wow way to read way too much into a good playing weight lol

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 08:22:40 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
i'm flat on my back for an extended period of time,and typing on tilt holding the computer with one hand -so i have developed this postcard style -i have aplogized --when i get better i'll be at a desk and be able to use caps and navigate--i try to make the my posts lead ins to get basketball feedback, i've been essentially bed ridden from being very active-

It's all good, no worries Rollie.

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 08:24:40 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
i'm flat on my back for an extended period of time,and typing on tilt holding the computer with one hand -so i have developed this postcard style -i have aplogized --when i get better i'll be at a desk and be able to use caps and navigate--i try to make the my posts lead ins to get basketball feedback, i've been essentially bed ridden from being very active-

Oh my...get better!

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 08:31:21 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If Sully lost weight, I really can't see it. He said he lost 20 and we'll just have to believe him. It's much more difficult to get back into condition when your still 30 lb. over weight.

The fact is the Celtics need an up grade at Power Forward, almost as much as Center.
if you read the report card on the team, you must've read that Sully, KO, and Zeller are regarded as poor defenders. This has to change next year for sure.

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 08:38:48 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
If Sully lost weight, I really can't see it. He said he lost 20 and we'll just have to believe him. It's much more difficult to get back into condition when your still 30 lb. over weight.

The fact is the Celtics need an up grade at Power Forward, almost as much as Center.
if you read the report card on the team, you must've read that Sully, KO, and Zeller are regarded as poor defenders. This has to change next year for sure.
Hoping as upgrades they draft Portis at 13-16 range and trade Sully and a Brooklyn pick for Favors.

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 09:52:48 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I would rather have Sully than Bobby Portis, and I am not a huge Sully fan,  that guy was soft in the NCAAs.

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 12:42:40 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Big fan of Sully, but he's still not all there yet. He should be used sporadically. His timing is off, he's missing a lot of bunnies. His mid-range looks good though, his 3s are rattling out, except for a few that looked ugly. His rebounding is down, so he's not helping all that much there at the moment. His defense has looked much better since he returned though.

So we'll see, I'm not expecting much from him, but hopefully he manages to get into something that resembles some rhythm.

Yeah, I agree, especially when it comes to his 3-pt attempts.  Most of them hit the front rim, which tells me that he hasn't gotten his game legs back yet.  However, I never liked him taking that shot in the first place, so if he keeps hitting consistently from midrange and on post ups, hopefully a light bulb will turn on in his head and he'll stop shooting from beyond the arc, blah, blah, blah.  I might as well stop right here because none of that is ever going to happen.  Ugh.

It's a shame, really, because he certainly has talent, but like CWebb said of Deron Williams, "You know what, Chuck, I don't know about that.  I always felt that he was a burger away, to be honest," lol. ;D Even if Sully really committed to fitness, this would always be in the back of my mind, ahaha. ;D  The struggle. ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9AvVu-P6Do

Hey, I get it.  I love food too much, lol. ;D Sure, it'd be great to have the bowflex bod, but at what cost?  Pizza is a food group ;D, and if I need vegetables, I'll just ask reagan for some ketchup, hehe. ;) :;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:48:44 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2015, 12:57:37 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
I would rather have Sully than Bobby Portis, and I am not a huge Sully fan,  that guy was soft in the NCAAs.
Everyone has their opinions. I'm a Portis guy all the way.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:08:36 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 01:16:10 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I wouldn't regard his match up stats too analytically this season. He's guarded plenty of starting NBA centers instead of power forwards, and he is without a legitimate defensive big man, so when switches happen (which opposing coaches use on the Celtics ALOT because of our lack of size inside) he gets burned.

Can you imagine Sully next to any top 10 NBA teams starting center? Particularly a defensive center like Hibbert or DeAndre? It would make life much easier for him having to worry about guarding his own player and when switches occur. Actually thinking about D Jordan and Sully next to each other would be a rebounding wet dream lol.
I would actually like to see Poeltl or Cauley Stein next to him.
He's got his personal/weight issues to deal with first and foremost, but in his defense, since KG left, he really hasn't had the chance to play as a true power forward should.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2015, 12:07:12 AM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Just a note on Hibbard being referenced as a defensive center.  It is all relative.  rim protection is one thing, but we beat the Pacers because Zeller can run the floor, and Kelly can shoot the 3.  In that game Hibbard was a defensive liability in many ways.  Stevens exploited the players he had against the players on the other team better.  Coaching has so much to do with the game, the more years I watch I see it more and more.

I don't get sullinger.  He is sort of built like a Glen Davis, although I'd say Davis is more Athletic, some people are just built like that.  I think it deflates your team when your inside banger throws up 3 pointers like bricks, and doesn't stick to a role.  You're built like that, go bang inside, that's where your team needs you.  Can you imagine if Kendrick Perkins tried to shoot 3 pointers?  Seriously, if that's the skill Sullinger wants to bring to the table, and he's not inside rebounding, then he shouldn't be on the floor at all, IMO. 

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2015, 12:29:44 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Sully won't play more than 10 min each game

IF his conditioning has not improved a few days before draft night, I bet he will be paired with the picks to try to move up

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2015, 01:10:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Everyone has their opinions. I'm a Portis guy all the way.

That is true, everyone has their opinions and most draft boards have him mid first round.   Aren't you concerned with how soft he plays?   The guy will literally wait for the game to come to him, and does not assert himself.  I watched a few of his games, he has the NBA body some skills but I really question his heart or will to dominate.