Author Topic: Bobby Portis  (Read 9384 times)

Bobby Portis
« on: April 16, 2015, 02:10:24 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
In light of Bobby Portis declaring I've done a scouting report on his game and his potential fit with the Celtics. Enjoy and comment or like.

https://bandrincorporated.wordpress.com/bobby-portis/

Re: Bobby Portis
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 02:40:05 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Another decent write up. Portis and Dunn are my favorite prospects outside the top 10. Both could be stars.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 08:20:15 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
alewilliam789,

I enjoyed the succinct write up that you did.

Do you really think he can handle the centers that Zeller has trouble with?  He seems more slight than Tyler.

I think he's a very good prospect though.  I love the max effort he gives...that would fit right in here.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 08:43:44 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Portis had a rough game against the Kentucky Bigs. But maybe he would do better if he had another decent big next to him. He'll also benefit from the extra spacing he will get in the NBA. His shooting form is another concern. It's kind of clunky and has a lot of unnecessary movement on it.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 10:51:42 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I'm shocked there isnt more of a buzz in Celtic nation for Bobby Portis. If anyone watched Arkansas this year, the system they run is nothing but pace; the closest thing to Brad's system in college. The kid is basically the slimmer, taller, high-motor version of Jared Sullinger that we've been calling for, with a shot that works at 54% with range (see shot chart).

My only knock is that he hasnt been able to properly use his added 25lbs to score against lengthy opponents (Kentucky games). But at a project draft range of 15-20, he can fall right in place for Boston. 
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 11:08:18 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I'm shocked there isnt more of a buzz in Celtic nation for Bobby Portis. If anyone watched Arkansas this year, the system they run is nothing but pace; the closest thing to Brad's system in college. The kid is basically the slimmer, taller, high-motor version of Jared Sullinger that we've been calling for, with a shot that works at 54% with range (see shot chart).

My only knock is that he hasnt been able to properly use his added 25lbs to score against lengthy opponents (Kentucky games). But at a project draft range of 15-20, he can fall right in place for Boston.

Thank you for this!

I like Portis a lot.  He's got length and a motor!

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 11:27:01 AM »

Offline farishmj16

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 0
how is he as a rim protector?

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 01:17:47 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Length, smarts, passing out the post...etc.

A stretch big who can protect the rim along with providing good positional defense and hustle. That's what we need.

Our high-low plays and horns sets would be good stuff with the trio of Portis, Olynyk and Sully. Just need this guy to add muscle.

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 01:28:53 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
how is he as a rim protector?

Not really, he does have good length, he is an average athlete with some skills.

Nice balanced article here.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/3/17/8219797/bobby-portis-scouting-report-nba-draft-arkansas

The real concern I have is his heart as he lets the game come to him and has about as much fire as a glacier.  He is a good rebounder.  I think this is the main knack on him.   When he does get fired up he can impressive, when not he can play soft.  He has great length.

He shot 5-15 against NC and 5-12 against Wofford in his last two games, not exactly leading the team to the promised land in the NCAAs or rising to the challenge.  Had 2 Rebs vs KY in a regular season game so he can vanish sometimes.   No one did real well vs. them most of the time though.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/2103804/bobby-portis

We could do far worse, than him.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 01:38:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I like Lyles a little more

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 03:38:31 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
We will take turner via trade

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 03:56:50 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Doesn't that guy have knee problems?

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 12:10:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

some kind of problem. Celtics are not drafting him. Seriously can't see it happening

Look at what Indiana is trying to do, and wanting to go smaller next season.  The trend is already happening

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 12:57:19 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

some kind of problem. Celtics are not drafting him. Seriously can't see it happening

Look at what Indiana is trying to do, and wanting to go smaller next season.  The trend is already happening
Unless you get a mobile 7 footer.

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 01:12:43 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/05/nba_draft_prospect_bobby_porti.html

"The conversation started with Portis saying he tries to play with similar passion and energy to Kevin Garnett. A follow-up question came: Are you as crazy as he was on the court?

'I'm very crazy,' Portis said. 'I play angry. I play mad. I play very angry because every game, I sit in the locker room and I envision that the other player on the team slapped my mom. That's why I get mad, and now I've gotta get you because you slapped my mom.'"

We are one of the 6 teams that Bobby Portis scheduled a workout for. Think we could use a grittier player in the front court. As Jalen Rose would say a dark alley guy.

"I bring something to the basketball court that most 20-year-olds don't bring," Portis said. "I play with a sense of urgency. I play with a log on my shoulder -- not a chip, a log, simply because I feel like I'm one of the best-kept secrets in this draft."

He has the production to back up his claims averaging 17/8/1/1 and his combine measurements were solid Height - 6' 10.5" Weight - 246 Wingspan - 7' 2" Standing reach - 9' 0.5". Bobby Portis could be the pick.