Author Topic: Who has your vote for NBA MVP?  (Read 7802 times)

Re: Who has your vote for NBA MVP?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2015, 04:04:57 PM »

Offline Blaze4G

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Lebron James. Without him that Cleveland team is a sub .500 team even with Irving and Love. Irving and Love know how to put up stats but they don't know how to win. That Cavalier team is that good because of one player and one player alone, Lebron James.

The media is going to do what they did to Michael Jordan in the 90s and give it to someone having a career year(Harden, Curry) like when they gave it to Barkley and Malone but the simple plain fact is Lebron is the best player in the world and is more responsible for his team being great than any other player in the league.

So are you saying that without Harden, Houston will still be in the playoffs? Houston would also be sub .500 team.

Lets see, Lebron carries his team to a 2nd seed in a EASIER conference. Harden carries his team to 2nd seed in a HARDER conference. How are Lebron voters failing to see this?

Kyrie > anyone not named Harden on the Rockets.

Cavaliers has a much better starting 5 this year (taking health into consideration).

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 04:07:35 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Has to be Curry in my mind.

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2015, 04:11:16 PM »

Offline Blaze4G

• Oshae Brissett
Lebron James. Without him that Cleveland team is a sub .500 team even with Irving and Love. Irving and Love know how to put up stats but they don't know how to win. That Cavalier team is that good because of one player and one player alone, Lebron James.

The media is going to do what they did to Michael Jordan in the 90s and give it to someone having a career year(Harden, Curry) like when they gave it to Barkley and Malone but the simple plain fact is Lebron is the best player in the world and is more responsible for his team being great than any other player in the league.

2 questions in response to this

1) Doesn't sitting out roughly 15% of the season count for something? I would think that it has too. I think it is safe to say that Harden and Curry could have put even better numbers if they were given the luxury of sitting out 10 games to recharge.

2) I don't think calling the Cavs a sub .500 team without James is very accurate. It wasn't just that they got James back after being .500 they also added JR Smith and Shumpert in January for a player that was not helping them at all (Waiters) and added Mosgov as well. Can we really say Irving, Smith, Love, Shumpert, Thompson and Mosgov would be under .500? That seems like a really crazy reach, especially in the east.

x2!!! for number 2 especially. Lebron backers are behaving like Lebron just came back to the same team after his break and completely changed the team single handedly. Mosgov has increased their defense immensely, JR smith has been shooting lights out from 3.

Ariza (arguably the second best player on Rockets if you take health into consideration) was in a huge slump and has finished the season shooting 40%. For all the complaints here how bradley is inefficient, what would people here say about Ariza.

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2015, 04:29:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

1) Doesn't sitting out roughly 15% of the season count for something? I would think that it has too. I think it is safe to say that Harden and Curry could have put even better numbers if they were given the luxury of sitting out 10 games to recharge.

2) I don't think calling the Cavs a sub .500 team without James is very accurate. It wasn't just that they got James back after being .500 they also added JR Smith and Shumpert in January for a player that was not helping them at all (Waiters) and added Mosgov as well. Can we really say Irving, Smith, Love, Shumpert, Thompson and Mosgov would be under .500? That seems like a really crazy reach, especially in the east.
1. No missing 12 games doesn't disqualify(or whatever word you want to use) from the MVP discussion. Walton won the award while playing 50 games one year. Lebron played in 70 games, and would have played in two more if the games meant anything late in the season.

2. The Cavs record in the 12 games Lebron. Missed was 2-10. Before he came back from injury revitalized, the team was below .500. It's his surge in performance that keyed the. Cavs becoming what they are. I think it's fair to say without Lebron that squad, even with those names, are a below .500 squad. Without Lebron as the catalyst, that's not a very good team.

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2015, 04:40:55 PM »

Offline Blaze4G

• Oshae Brissett

1. No missing 12 games doesn't disqualify(or whatever word you want to use) from the MVP discussion. Walton won the award while playing 50 games one year. Lebron played in 70 games, and would have played in two more if the games meant anything late in the season.

2. The Cavs record in the 12 games Lebron. Missed was 2-10. Before he came back from injury revitalized, the team was below .500. It's his surge in performance that keyed the. Cavs becoming what they are. I think it's fair to say without Lebron that squad, even with those names, are a below .500 squad. Without Lebron as the catalyst, that's not a very good team.

Okay that is your opinion. I want to know your opinion on where would the rockets be without Harden with howard and others injured. Playoffs? Sub .500?

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2015, 04:48:04 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
For all the Harden carried his team, Houston... that team had 8 players scoring in double figures. Think about that for a second. It's impressive that they got that record, but let's not downplay how much talent and depth that team had either.

Double figures is an arbitrary line to begin with - would it really mean less if two of those guys averaged 9.8? - but Houston had that many 10 pt scorers precisely because of all the injuries they had (and some trades).  It's much easier to have a lot of double-digit averages when your lineup keeps changing - a lot more points to go around that way.

To put it in context, of the 7 teammates that averaged in double figures, only Howard broke 13 ppg.  5 of the 7 missed more than 25 games of Houston's season, because of injuries or trades.  2 of those missed half the season or more, and 2 others had season-ending injuries in the past month.  Harden and Ariza, plus a 37 year old Jason Terry were the only constants in the rotation.  But they still won 56 games and finished 2nd in one of the most competitive conferences in league history.  Meanwhile of Curry's top 7 teammates, 6 played 76+ games, and even Bogut got to 67.

Already addressed this above. I agree with a lot of it, I don't like using that stat. It was mainly a way to illustrate that they had depth.

Harden led his team in points, rebounds (tied), assists, steals, FTM (nearly matched the rest of the roster combined), 3pters, and was 2nd in blocks.  His TS% was over 60, PER over 27, and a league-leading 16.4 win shares.  Like I said I think Curry wins in the real world, but I don't think it's an easy argument at all.

It's not an easy argument, but just the same the conclusion after everything is revised should be the same, that Curry was the best player this year.

Curry had a better TS% and a better PER as well. Also while Harden lead in win shares, Curry lead in win shares by per 48 minutes.

So in the end, it'll be very hard for me to rationalize Harden over Curry even if Harden had a [dang] good season.

In any case, my comment was more directed at those that are arguing for LeBron James.

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2015, 04:49:31 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176

Brian windhorst said himself lebron was pouting and basically quitting on the team during his break and before the trades... Lebron came back at the same time as the trades.. They rejuvenated him and the team

Best player, not MVP this year... Curry is but I wouldn't be upset if harden got it

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2015, 04:55:38 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

In any case, my comment was more directed at those that are arguing for LeBron James.

Gotcha, I agree, there isn't much of a case for LeBron besides him still being the best player, which goes quite a ways but not nearly far enough in my opinion.  Too up-and-down of a season.

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2015, 05:10:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

When Lebron took his lebattical and sat out and the team had the stretch where they lost 9 out of 10 they were playing a really tough part of their schedule. The games he sat out included the first 3 games of a western road trip, losses at golden state and Atlanta as well as games against the Rockets and Mavericks. During this period Love also left one of their losses with a back injury and sat out another. They were also incorporating Smith, Shumpert and Mosgov during this time period. If you really want to stand firm that that 10 game stretch is indicative of how they would play the rest of the season without Lebron and would be a sub .500 team I would just have to agree to disagree cause I think that team still wins 50 if they have everyone all season.

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2015, 05:40:20 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Not a knock on LeBron, Westbrook or AD: but for me it's a 2-man race.
-Curry led a team that was merely good last year to a historically good season
-Harden willed his team to a 2nd seed in the loaded West despite having a poorer supporting cast than any of the other top teams.

I give it to Harden, but it's really tough. Both deserve it fully.

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2015, 05:50:13 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Easy curry
Best player on the best team

But then again harden probably deserves it more as his team has dealt with injuries and they are still at the top of the west
Even though I thought with Howard out their season would be a wash
Role players stepped up and harden became better defensively and offensively in getting guys involved
I also thought they would begin losing at the start of the season with the loss of parsons and Asik

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2015, 06:12:32 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I like Harden. Curry's season, while sensational, I feel is more of a product of that high octane GS system.  With two all-D-team guys in the front court, they get a lot of easy stuff on O. 

Harden on the other hand has played in many, many more close games and had to gut out tough wins down the stretch with savvy play and timely scoring.  I get that everyone wants to break the tie by saying GS won more games, but to me, I go with Harden because of the number of times he came through with late-game poise for his team. 

I also like Houston to win the west for all these same reasons. 

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2015, 02:56:34 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I don't think they'll give the award to Harden because of his behavior (kick in the b.... to Lebron). Even if I appreciate this move, this is not a good example for kids watching the game.
Anyway, Curry is unreal since last year, and this year should be it for him. This guy is ridiculously talented. It's almost unfair to play against him. I'm sure he can shoot 3s blindfolded.

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2015, 04:55:47 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Harden.  Less talent around him than Curry, yet earned 2nd seed in very competitive and tough WC.  Much better defense this year.

LBJ's Cavs did squat until the trades at the deadline, which was the tipping point in their season. AD 8th seed.  Westbrook didn't get the Thunder in.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 06:37:13 AM by colincb »

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2015, 02:37:52 AM »

Offline Iggzilla

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8

Like the others before me, I disagree. Take LeBron out of that Cavs team and they'll still have Kyrie and Love, and proper role players in Thompson, Mozgov and Smith. With David Blatt's motion offense (which LeBron hijacked because apparently he's the one calling most of the Cavs' plays, not Blatt), I think that will be enough to get them into the playoffs in a weak East. Also, you just can't award LeBron MVP this year, not when all his stats dipped and he took a freaking vacation in the middle of the season. I still consider him the best player in the world based on his talent and overall skill set, but he's a player in decline so it's just hard to call him an MVP when other players are clearly having a better year than him.

Curry's my MVP. His mere presence on the floor warps entire defenses, just watch how defenders panic and try to stay on him when he's running around screens, thus freeing up lanes or opportunities for his teammates. Most of the time he doesn't even need to be freed up ala Ray Allen or Reggie Miller, he can shake off defenders on his own with his ballhandling skills and shoot threes as if they were layups. He's both the most valuable player to his team and the best player during the season.

If it weren't for Curry, I'd have Chris Paul as my MVP...he single-handedly kept the Clippers alive when Griffin and Crawford went down, and even pushed them to the 3rd seed. You could say that Harden did the same with the Rockets, but for me, the Rockets bench (Smith, Brewer, Terry,  Jones/Motiejunas) is so much better than the Clippers bench (Big Baby, Hawes, Turkoglu, Rivers), so Harden actually has more depth around him despite the loss of some of their starters. What's more, the Clippers and Rockets finished with the same record, so I think what Paul did is more impressive.