Author Topic: We get picks #16, #28, #33 and #45.  (Read 55204 times)

Re: We get picks #16, #28, #33 and #45.
« Reply #150 on: April 21, 2015, 06:21:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Hoping we take BPA at 16 and we trade our 2nds with #28 to trade up for Harrell. Earlier in the year, I thought we were going to need to take him in the 13-16 range, but he has been falling for no apparent reason.

This way we still get a decent prospect and the guy I have wanted all along in Harrell with only taking on two additional rookies, instead of four.

« Reply #151 on: April 21, 2015, 06:24:42 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I would dare say that we should pick Robert Upshaw at #16 before someone else does.

The risk will be at an all time high, but so is the reward. At where we are picking, he's probably one, if not, the most upside of whoever is left. I get it that there needs to be a ton of work to do for him, especially maturity issues, but basketball wise, he fills a need and there's potential. I say grab him at #16 before anybody else. If NBA teams would be willing to gamble because he has basketball potential, why can't it be us?

I don't mind reaching for him, but it seems like 16 would be a giant reach. Why not just trade back to 25 and take him?

You are making my point, Flex. Someone may try to reach for him. I'm saying pick him now before someone else does. He's a projected 2nd rounder by DraftExpress. With Tim Duncan possibly retiring, Robin Lopez' free agency, Tyson Chandler getting older, and the Lakers not having a legit Center, teams my try to reach him.

Is #16 a very high reach, absolutely. But know this, we reach at #16, we get a guy who, while needs a some work, is someone who is big, and with great potential. Why risk having him being reached by other teams when we can. I mean, at #16, most of the picks could probably wing guys, or role player/bench guys. Upshaw has the potential to be a solid rim protector and an inside presence, don't let him be within range of other teams.

I don't think anyone will reach past 25 for Upshaw. 26-30 is where it could get risky.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #152 on: April 21, 2015, 06:30:47 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I would dare say that we should pick Robert Upshaw at #16 before someone else does.

The risk will be at an all time high, but so is the reward. At where we are picking, he's probably one, if not, the most upside of whoever is left. I get it that there needs to be a ton of work to do for him, especially maturity issues, but basketball wise, he fills a need and there's potential. I say grab him at #16 before anybody else. If NBA teams would be willing to gamble because he has basketball potential, why can't it be us?

I don't mind reaching for him, but it seems like 16 would be a giant reach. Why not just trade back to 25 and take him?

You are making my point, Flex. Someone may try to reach for him. I'm saying pick him now before someone else does. He's a projected 2nd rounder by DraftExpress. With Tim Duncan possibly retiring, Robin Lopez' free agency, Tyson Chandler getting older, and the Lakers not having a legit Center, teams my try to reach him.

Is #16 a very high reach, absolutely. But know this, we reach at #16, we get a guy who, while needs a some work, is someone who is big, and with great potential. Why risk having him being reached by other teams when we can. I mean, at #16, most of the picks could probably wing guys, or role player/bench guys. Upshaw has the potential to be a solid rim protector and an inside presence, don't let him be within range of other teams.

I don't think anyone will reach past 25 for Upshaw. 26-30 is where it could get risky.

I mentioned teams from 21-30 that has a need for his size and position. I think one of those teams would reach.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #153 on: April 21, 2015, 06:34:43 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

I mentioned teams from 21-30 that has a need for his size and position. I think one of those teams would reach.

Well, this is all conjecture anyhow. Taking Upshaw at 16 is an unnecessary risk. Whether we trade back to 20 or 25, the principle is the same. Pick up value and still get your guy.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #154 on: April 21, 2015, 06:39:02 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Here is where I'm at today:

16: Bobby Portis or Kevon Looney

Then draft these high potential foreign guys and potentially stash all 3 depending on what happens with our roster:

28: George Lucas (only 18, I would probably try to get him out of Brazil and either in the D-League, Greece or Spain)

33: Aleksandar Vezenkov (most NBA ready)

45: Guillermo Hernangomez (averaging 11 ppg / 6 rpg in the Spanish League, 6'11", 20 years old - he could use another year in Spain)

« Reply #155 on: April 21, 2015, 06:39:59 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Well, this is all conjecture anyhow. Taking Upshaw at 16 is an unnecessary risk. Whether we trade back to 20 or 25, the principle is the same. Pick up value and still get your guy.
16 is a big reach. If Danny thinks Upshaw has elite elite talent then fine but the reason he is projected in the second round is because there are 30 better prospects. He may habe a higher ceiling but his ceiling isnt even that high and odds are hes out of the league in two years. Best case scenario he is a slightly improved Omer Asiik type center.

Worth it at 33 with a non garunteed contract maybe at 28, at 16...no way
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #156 on: April 21, 2015, 06:45:52 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

16 is a big reach. If Danny thinks Upshaw has elite elite talent then fine but the reason he is projected in the second round is because there are 30 better prospects. He may habe a higher ceiling but his ceiling isnt even that high and odds are hes out of the league in two years. Best case scenario he is a slightly improved Omer Asiik type center.

Worth it at 33 with a non garunteed contract maybe at 28, at 16...no way

I disagree. I've read stuff on CBS.com that he was playing his way into the mid first round, blocking shots at a high rate and showing good mobility for his size.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25010285/robert-upshaws-draft-prospects-have-more-questions-than-answers

NBA.com has a write-up saying that he could "still be drafted in the first round".

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/03/14/despite-transgressions-robert-upshaw-could-still-go-in-first-round/

His drugs thing is indeed a big red flag, and it is something that needs to be worked with. But there's high upside and real talent there. We're slotted at #16, who among the names out there would be a potential starter quality player in the next few years (outside of maybe Trey Lyles)? Upshaw has very real potential and very good physical stature, and he fills a great need. I'd do a giant reach for that kid, because he's one, if not the only one, who has real potential to be very good.  You try to wait on that spot, he could already have been picked then. If he's a slightly improved Omer Asik, I'd pick him at #16 in a heartbeat.

« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2015, 06:48:21 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Then draft these high potential foreign guys and potentially stash all 3 depending on what happens with our roster:

28: George Lucas (only 18, I would probably try to get him out of Brazil and either in the D-League, Greece or Spain)

45: Guillermo Hernangomez (averaging 11 ppg / 6 rpg in the Spanish League, 6'11", 20 years old - he could use another year in Spain)
if the celtics walked away from the draft with this haul i would be pleased. i would prefer the gamble of upshaw at 33 if he is available. but other than that, it is a good list.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2015, 06:52:19 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I get the point. I'm just saying that why risk having other teams pick him when we already can. I get the reach part, but if he's the guy, why wait when he could already be there. We still have 3 picks after anyways.

« Reply #159 on: April 21, 2015, 06:55:07 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

That's a home run draft to me.  I like it.  I'm hoping for Looney over Portis.  Looney to me is top 5 material, and just getting started.

« Reply #160 on: April 21, 2015, 07:05:13 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I get the point. I'm just saying that why risk having other teams pick him when we already can. I get the reach part, but if he's the guy, why wait when he could already be there. We still have 3 picks after anyways.
If the C's believe he is BPA at 16 take him at 16 and dont worry about projected selection.

I just doubt he is BPA until probably around selection 30

note: for me BPA is best prospect available
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #161 on: April 21, 2015, 07:08:14 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

That's a home run draft to me.  I like it.  I'm hoping for Looney over Portis.  Looney to me is top 5 material, and just getting started.

That's 3 of us who like it.  pick 33 i'd be open to Luwawu or another Danny project but I love your choices at the other 3 spots.  Just know nothing about Vezenkov.  Lucas is a must for 28 or 33 and I"m guessing he'll be gone by 33.

« Reply #162 on: April 21, 2015, 07:42:07 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
http://cdn.streamable.com/video/767b2220dc9011e4a1c1ef1e13eebc38.webm

That defense by Portis.
I think this is the biggest argument for Portis. I believe within a few years he would be far and away our best big man defender of the pick and roll.

If he ends up having 3 point range at the NBA level then I think he would be a steal.

Great fit next to Jelly Sullynyk, as well as Stevens' system. If he bulks up that'd be awesome.

But he has crazy eyes. Could bust.

I say trade up with our two second rounders.

Or get Wood plus Bobby Portis.

Disclaimer: I'm just a highlight jockey in terms of draft knowledge.

« Reply #163 on: April 21, 2015, 07:58:41 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
http://cdn.streamable.com/video/767b2220dc9011e4a1c1ef1e13eebc38.webm

That defense by Portis.
I think this is the biggest argument for Portis. I believe within a few years he would be far and away our best big man defender of the pick and roll.

If he ends up having 3 point range at the NBA level then I think he would be a steal.

Great fit next to Jelly Sullynyk, as well as Stevens' system. If he bulks up that'd be awesome.

But he has crazy eyes. Could bust.

I say trade up with our two second rounders.

Or get Wood plus Bobby Portis.

Disclaimer: I'm just a highlight jockey in terms of draft knowledge.

I've never seen an avid 4/20-er with those kind of eyes.

« Reply #164 on: April 22, 2015, 03:57:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Wood is going back to school. Some kids are getting some really bad advice.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19