Author Topic: We get picks #16, #28, #33 and #45.  (Read 55333 times)

Re: We get picks #16, #28, #33 and #45.
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2015, 02:25:56 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Rj hunter at 14??? Lol

Tyler Harvey at 30 is possible.

I want him on the celts

I would be happy with lyles, harvey and martin

No to wood. Too much JJJ like risk. Too thin

Hunter said that he was told by teams that he could go as early as 15. 14 isn't a stretch.

Well i would be surprised. Yes he can shoot and has good height/length but has avg quickness, not very athletic, explosive.  Good iq and effort level. Still not 14-16 range imo

That's why I've seen Klay comparisons. Plus, shooting is at a premium like never before.

« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2015, 02:42:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If the wolves do pick towns , i wonder if Dieng will be available on draft night.

Sullinger for Dieng? Yay or nay
I would 100% do that deal but I think the Wolves could play both Dieng and Towns so I don't see the need to do the deal on that end.

No to wood. Too much JJJ like risk. Too thin
Wood is the same weight as Johnson but Wood got to that weight after 2 years of school while Johnson was 220 after 4 years of college. I think Wood is more likely to be able to put on weight.

Hard to say. How many guys like wood, jjj are able to put on weight/strength and succeed in the nba??

Wood is also a little too perimeter oriented for my liking.

I rather take a chance at Harvey (poor man curry) or jarell martin at 28

This late in the draft everyone is a crapshoot so I would be fine with any of those guys.

Perimeter 4's are where the NBA is trending, so I do want to see them draft a guy who can play a Jerebko type role in the future.

I agree . but jerebko is a legit 245 pound pf.  Wood is 220 thin dude.  Some of these guys just cant add weight.  Even though the nba is going small a 220 pound pf wont survive in the league

« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2015, 03:21:08 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
I am always wary of giving up the farm (or even large parts of it) to trade up in the draft.  I'm doubly wary when I start jonesing for a player who has climbed in the mock drafts because of his tournament performance.

Should this draft go the way Ford predicts for the first six picks, I've really got a hankerin' for some Winslow.  Can somebody please talk me out of starting a thread suggesting we do whatever it takes to get him?  Much obliged.

Mike

« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2015, 03:49:07 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Lyles makes zero sense to me. The gamble with Lyles is can he do in the pros what he was able to do in college. We know Sullinger can be very effective in the pros. The gamble with Sullinger is can he get in proper shape to perform to the best of his capability. If Sullinger can put up 14/8 with a bigger gut than 80 year old Tom Heinsohn, I'd like to see what he can do at 260 lbs. He's already looking more passable on D having dropped just 20 lbs.

Basically, I'd rather gamble on Sullinger and gamble on another position of need (Ford really has us taking Lyles and passing on Booker?) than gamble on both Sully and Lyles, run the risk of them both failing, and then not only having nothing at PF but also still nothing at SF and C outside of Crowder and Zeller (not gonna cut it).

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2015, 03:55:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Ainge uses a first round pick on a pure power forward, the guy better have superlative physical gifts and the potential to turn into a star on both ends.  I don't want to see another "solid productive player" who "is just a basketball player" big man who can't protect the basket or impose himself physically on opponents.

I'd be okay with a selection like Looney or Wood, given that.  Even Harrell could be an OK pick, if Ainge thinks he has the length and physical ability to dominate the boards and protect the rim even though he's not very tall.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2015, 03:57:04 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Lyles makes zero sense to me. The gamble with Lyles is can he do in the pros what he was able to do in college. We know Sullinger can be very effective in the pros. The gamble with Sullinger is can he get in proper shape to perform to the best of his capability. If Sullinger can put up 14/8 with a bigger gut than 80 year old Tom Heinsohn, I'd like to see what he can do at 260 lbs. He's already looking more passable on D having dropped just 20 lbs.

Basically, I'd rather gamble on Sullinger and gamble on another position of need (Ford really has us taking Lyles and passing on Booker?) than gamble on both Sully and Lyles, run the risk of them both failing, and then not only having nothing at PF but also still nothing at SF and C outside of Crowder and Zeller (not gonna cut it).
Lyles can be the type of 4 that the C's have had the most success with this year. A 4 that shoots 3's and spaces the floor. So think of someone more like Olynyk than Sullinger, except the difference between Lyles and Olynyk is length and strength.

The team took off when they started to play smaller with perimeter 4's, and thus I expect them to draft a long term perimeter 4 (if they can't get one of the good 5's or 3's).
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2015, 03:59:38 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
If Ainge uses a first round pick on a pure power forward, the guy better have superlative physical gifts and the potential to turn into a star on both ends.  I don't want to see another "solid productive player" who "is just a basketball player" big man who can't protect the basket or impose himself physically on opponents.

I'd be okay with a selection like Looney or Wood, given that.  Even Harrell could be an OK pick, if Ainge thinks he has the length and physical ability to dominate the boards and protect the rim even though he's not very tall.

Sullinger has as much talent if not more than any Lyles-type prospect that has come out since 2012. We know he has the talent. We're gambling on him with his weight. So I agree, I don't want to gamble twice on the same type of player.

If Celtics think Harrell can play center, they should take him. I don't see it. Looney is interesting. I'd strongly consider him if the Celts are pessimistic about Sully's weight or if they think Looney can play 3.

The ticket from where I can see it is trading up for Myles Turner. Only question about him is his hip. Is it cause for future injury? If the Cs' doctors get a good answer to that question we have to move up for him. He has the potential to be better than any center in this draft.

16 + 28 + 45 could get you...? What about 16 + 28 + the Minny 1st/2nd?

Turner and then either Luwawu or Upshaw with the 33rd. Great draft.

« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2015, 04:03:24 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

Lyles can be the type of 4 that the C's have had the most success with this year. A 4 that shoots 3's and spaces the floor. So think of someone more like Olynyk than Sullinger, except the difference between Lyles and Olynyk is length and strength.

The team took off when they started to play smaller with perimeter 4's, and thus I expect them to draft a long term perimeter 4 (if they can't get one of the good 5's or 3's).

Interesting, admittedly I didn't really pay attention to Lyles once I saw a Sullinger player comp earlier in the year. If he can shoot 3s that changes things. If he has more length and strength than Olynyk that also changes things.

I'd still prefer moving up for Turner. Again, if Sullinger gets his head in the game (probably as big a risk as drafting Lyles and hopes he reaches his ceiling), he can be as good a player for us as Lyles can be. 260 lbs Sullinger can easily play the D that's keeping Jerebko and Olynyk on the floor, hit the outside jumper (but probably not the 3), and is arguably the best passer out of any of the PFs in this conversation (Lyles, Sully, Olynyk, Jerebko). That's an extremely effective player in Stevens' system. I'd rather roll the dice on him and move up for Turner.

« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2015, 04:03:48 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
If the wolves do pick towns , i wonder if Dieng will be available on draft night.

Sullinger for Dieng? Yay or nay

YAY..

« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2015, 04:11:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The ticket from where I can see it is trading up for Myles Turner. Only question about him is his hip. Is it cause for future injury? If the Cs' doctors get a good answer to that question we have to move up for him. He has the potential to be better than any center in this draft.

I'm not a draft expert, but whenever I watch Turner play, no matter the length of the clip, I am immediately reminded of what I have heard said about watching the way young big men run.  Watch them run, and with some guys you can just see it -- this guy is going to be a stiff, either in terms of production or because of recurrent injuries. 

Myles Turner sets off warning lights in my brain whenever I see him.  I can't see him being mobile enough to succeed in the NBA, and I think he's going to have recurrent hip or foot problems.  I'd much rather take a chance on a less developed player with a great body and frame.

Looney is the polar opposite of Turner in that sense.  He doesn't wow me with how he plays in the tape I've seen.  But there are flashes, and physically he just looks like an NBA player.  Harrell also looks like a guy with an NBA body, though I'm skeptical that he'll nail down a rotation spot unless he can learn to shoot a spot-up 3.

Wood could be amazing if he can add 50 pounds of muscle without getting worse.  But he's a total beanpole who won't be able to play at all in the NBA without building himself a lot.  Guys like that scare me, too.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2015, 04:18:52 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Here's a likely scenario... Ainge will not exercise the team option he has on Pressey... and he will draft Tyus Jones to be his replacement/project player.

« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2015, 04:24:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Lyles is a better fit under CBS. Sullinger time in Boston is coming to an end imo. After coming back from Injury not only does he look rusty but also looks lost out there. He is a mediocre shooter (i dont miss his threes at all) , not a good inside scorer (shots blocked) and only has a decent mid range game (not what CBS is looking for).  Not a mobile versatile defender.  I liked sully before for his ability to grab offensive rebounds/putbacks, which he rarely does anymore

Lyles like someone said is KO with length and strength (at the same age). Can shoot, drive in for layups,  versatile defender. Not a true shot blocker but 7'3-7'4 wingspan w/ good lift helps to alter shots

« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2015, 04:26:06 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Here's a likely scenario... Ainge will not exercise the team option he has on Pressey... and he will draft Tyus Jones to be his replacement/project player.

Awesome. So at least we have our 3rd string PG, behind Smart and Thomas, covered for the next several seasons.

« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2015, 04:38:42 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

Awesome. So at least we have our 3rd string PG, behind Smart and Thomas, covered for the next several seasons.

Exactly dude. That and because Evan Turnover needs to chill out with all that over-dribbling.

« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2015, 04:40:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I am always wary of giving up the farm (or even large parts of it) to trade up in the draft.  I'm doubly wary when I start jonesing for a player who has climbed in the mock drafts because of his tournament performance.

Should this draft go the way Ford predicts for the first six picks, I've really got a hankerin' for some Winslow.  Can somebody please talk me out of starting a thread suggesting we do whatever it takes to get him?  Much obliged.

Mike

Haven't seen Ford's prediction, and his credibility is shot with me.  But the Celtics should be willing to use a future pick to move up for either Winslow or WCS in my opinion.  Winslow definitely has superstar ceiling.  Still has some growing to do with his game, but you can teach passion, and he has it in spades, to go along with good shooting and great athleticism. Very easily could be the best player in the draft 5 years from now.

So yeah, the only reason I'll tell you not to start a thread about Winslow is because they already exist.  He's ELITE.