Author Topic: We get picks #16, #28, #33 and #45.  (Read 55211 times)

Re: We get picks #16, #27, #33 and #45.
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2015, 02:42:24 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm not against using all 4 picks since we'll have a number of players coming off contracts this offseason: Bass, Gigi, Jerebko, Pressey (team option) and Crowder (QO).  Next year Turner and Wallace are also off the books. 

I think Danny will try to package the 4 pick into 2 better first rounders though.  that #33 is a nice pickup for a team looking to get a decent prospect on a non-guaranteed contract.  that alone may be enough to move up 2 spots to #14 or up 3-4 spots from #27/28.

C's don't have any bonafide starters where we can say we're all set. 

« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2015, 02:57:22 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'd like
16 Poeltl if he's there. If not I want J Grant -he's a baller
27 Levert or Chris Wood

33 Dakari Johnson

45 Aaron Harrison
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2015, 02:59:33 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I don't think we are in the build a sustainable roster mode though. Despite making the playoffs due to a great coach and a terrible conference, we are in a 'collect assets and cash them in at max value' mode. If we can't get great value for our picks in the upcoming draft in a trade to move up or out, then it makes sense to keep he four rookies and let them develop some value rahther than keep guys like Pressy and Datome who will not gain in value at all.

Agreed, keep the value train going.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2015, 03:01:55 PM »

Offline ekosins3

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
Trey Lyles at 16 wouldn't be a bad pick if he is still available. I have seen him in the 10-20 range.

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2015, 03:03:44 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
besides Smart and maybe Bradley, what kind of package can we do to potentially move up?

Depends how far you want to move.  We have 3 1st round picks next year as well -- I'm sure you could add the Dallas pick with our picks this year and find yourself in a pretty good spot.  And despite the fact that some on this blog have soured on him, I wouldn't be surprised if James Young is another potential value add.

We probably don't have anything to get into the top 5 aside from Smart, but the next 5 is attainable if Ainge likes a player enough.  I'm sure Ainge will have some potential deals lined up to make a move if the draft shakes out the right way.

Don't know what it will do for us this year, but we have four 1sts if Minnesota turns out to be any good, since we have their pick, protected 1-12.  With Wiggins, a healthy team and a good rookie next year, it is not entirely inconceivable that they sneak into the playoffs next year. 

Since I'm convinced that Dallas is also going to be a late lottery team next year (We have their pick, protected 1-7), there's a chance that we end up with four lottery picks next year.  Can't wait to see the discussions we're having a year from now.

Mike

« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2015, 04:22:44 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
With the 4 picks I'm hoping DA can combine then into two picks this draft. One SF and one big.

My ideal would be a trade up for Poetlt then Hollis-Jefferson or J Anderson in the late first

other options

Dekker and Harrell

Lyles and Hollis-Jefferson

I'm not expecting both rookie to contribute next season. Like Smart and Young I would hope that one is more NBA ready and the other a longer term developmental project.

For speculation sake if Draft Express's mock holds true and DA keeps all four picks with no trading up. My draft would be,

#16 Lyles (long term project, could be more complete PF then KO or Sully)

#28 J Anderson (NBA ready 3-D wing)

#33 D Johnson (toss up with Upshaw, younger and better post game rare back to basket scorer)

#45 Andrew Harrison (dont think he is a high end prospect but late in the 2nd seems like a nice option as a versatile 4th guard)

..... unexpectedly UK heavy
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 04:31:21 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2015, 04:49:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
besides Smart and maybe Bradley, what kind of package can we do to potentially move up?

Depends how far you want to move.  We have 3 1st round picks next year as well -- I'm sure you could add the Dallas pick with our picks this year and find yourself in a pretty good spot.  And despite the fact that some on this blog have soured on him, I wouldn't be surprised if James Young is another potential value add.

We probably don't have anything to get into the top 5 aside from Smart, but the next 5 is attainable if Ainge likes a player enough.  I'm sure Ainge will have some potential deals lined up to make a move if the draft shakes out the right way.

Don't know what it will do for us this year, but we have four 1sts if Minnesota turns out to be any good, since we have their pick, protected 1-12.  With Wiggins, a healthy team and a good rookie next year, it is not entirely inconceivable that they sneak into the playoffs next year. 

Since I'm convinced that Dallas is also going to be a late lottery team next year (We have their pick, protected 1-7), there's a chance that we end up with four lottery picks next year.  Can't wait to see the discussions we're having a year from now.

Mike

They don't need to make the playoffs, though. If they finish 9th or 10th in the western conference, it is still quite likely they would get the 13th or 14th pick - that protection would still net us a really good pick (I know it's an ideal scenario, but not entirely inconceivable).

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2015, 05:30:18 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Mike

If we end up with four lottery picks next year, that means the Celtics missed the playoffs, which would be a huge disappointment after the last two months.  I'm not really on board with that.

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2015, 09:05:55 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I'd like
27 Levert or Chris Wood

33 Dakari Johnson

45 Aaron Harrison

Was just coming on here to cast my vote for Poeltl. It's either him or Turner. The 16th pick can be a gamble anyway so both of those guys are worth that pick. Dekker if he's available.

If it's not one of those three I don't know who else I'd really want. LAC pick either RHJ or RJ Hunter. Not all stars but both of those guys can bring their skills to the NBA as a solid bench player.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2015, 10:59:32 AM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
Fairly sure the Clips pick isn't decided until after a random draw between it and the Rockets.  Playoff seeding isn't used, unless that's changed within the last year.  So we're either 27 or 28.

Can someone please confirm that there will be a draw for #27 OR #28 pick?

« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2015, 11:27:52 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I'd like
27 Levert or Chris Wood

33 Dakari Johnson

45 Aaron Harrison

Hearing some buzz that Christian Wood might be heading back to school since UNLV landed Stephen Zimmerman. That would be one hell of a monster front court.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Moq_fhIC8

« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2015, 11:32:25 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Fairly sure the Clips pick isn't decided until after a random draw between it and the Rockets.  Playoff seeding isn't used, unless that's changed within the last year.  So we're either 27 or 28.

It's a coin flip.

« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2015, 11:45:24 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Draft Express has us taking:

#16 Jerian Grant
#28 Jarell Martin
#33 Robert Upshaw
#45 Rashad Vaughn

This really would't be a horrible draft.

- Grant is a solid combo guard, although I'm not sure if I'd rather have someone like Kevon Looney or Bobby Portis instead. I'd be most happy if Jakob Poeltl slid to us!

- I'd be very happy with Martin at #28. I also like Caris LeVert and RJ Hunter.

- I love Upshaw with the #33, high upside for a second round pick. Justin Anderson if Upshaw is gone.

- Vaughn could hold some value. Stick him in Maine I guess. I wouldn't mind taking Mouhammadou Jaiteh or Guillermo Hernangomez and draft & stashing them.

Cool. I enjoy looking at these draft projections.

Ford has these players in his top 100

16- Portis
28- Wood
33- Alexander
45- AJ Hammons

I'm all about BPA but 3 PFs in a row  :P

AJ Hammons is an intriguing pick with #45, 7'0" & 278lbs.

Those are his rankings, not a mock draft.
I'd be all for getting close to ranking players.
Portis(16), Wood(27), Aleksandar Vezenkov(33), Brimah or D. Johnson (45), Wesley Saunders (ufa)

« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

It's a coin flip.

It's a draw. They got rid of the actual coin a few years ago.  And it typically occurs the Friday after the regular season ends.. So today.

Re: We get picks #16, #27 or 28, #33 and #45.
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2015, 12:38:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Mike

If we end up with four lottery picks next year, that means the Celtics missed the playoffs, which would be a huge disappointment after the last two months.  I'm not really on board with that.
Optimally, get 4 1sts which requires Minny to be outside the top 12 after the lottery and Dallas to be outside the top 7 after the lottery.

Best scenario (in terms of draft picks while getting the C's into the playoffs):
#1 Nets (win lottery after missing playoffs)
#8 Dallas
#13 Minny
#15 (1st non-lotto) Celtics.
If this came to pass, C's should be able to do some real wheeling and dealing with those picks in addition to the multitude of second rounders to move up and get 4 picks in the top 10 if not 2 in the top 5.

if Celtics post-season dreams don't mean anything, then C's and Nets can finish 1 & 2 in the lotto.