Author Topic: We get picks #16, #28, #33 and #45.  (Read 55335 times)

Re: We get picks #16, #27, #33 and #45.
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 11:45:47 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
They have bosh why would they want sully???? i think sully is more talented than a 8-15 pick

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 11:47:26 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
I think the Heat would be a good trade partner.

C's

Heat
Sullinger
LAC pick
2019 1st rd pick (top 20 protected)
One or two 2016 2nd rd pick(s) - we have a bunch of these

Why for us?
We likely add a high upside player in SF (Johnson) or C (Turner).

Why for Miami?
They're in "win now" mode. Riley isn't the type that will be patient waiting for the draftee to develop. Sullinger provides depth/insurance for Bosh. Found the article below very interesting.

http://heathoops.com/2015/04/with-injuries-mounting-should-the-miami-heat-tank/#more-24828

If Miami were to tank in order to keep its 2015 first round pick, it would cause the Heat’s pick obligation to the Cavs to shift from 2015 to 2016. That, in turn, would cause the first of its two first round pick obligations to the Suns to shift from 2017 to 2018, in order to comply with the Stepien Rule. And since the second of its pick obligations to the Suns is guaranteed to be delivered in 2021, there simply wouldn’t be enough of a gap between the years 2018 and 2021 to trade any picks in between – trading the 2019 pick would only leave a one year gap (not the required two years) from 2018, and trading he 2020 pick would only leave a one year gap (not the required two years) from 2021.

In fact, if the Heat were to keep its 2015 pick, the next pick eligible for trade would be two years after its final pick obligation to the Suns is satisfied, in 2023. And, because of the Seven Year Rule, even that pick couldn’t be traded until after the 2016 draft!

This is a good idea. I do think that #10 is a very valuable pick in this draft.

I could also see Riley keeping the pick and taking Kaminsky - he can probably help them fairly immediately

I did think of Kaminsky, but Sullinger is the better player now and Kaminski's skillset is a bid redundant with McRoberts. Sullinger could take Haslem's (who's cooked) role off the bench as a rebounder/mid range shooter and upgrade that spot immediately. Plus, the Heat's training staff is pretty well regarded, albeit not at the Suns level, which could bode well for Sullinger longterm.
I could see a deal where the Heat trade down to our #16 pick but I doubt they'd trade down all the way to the Clips pick.

Agreed. Our pick + Sullly for their pick + Napier, something like that.
I don't see Sully as having that much trade value with his injury and weight concerns plus becoming an RFA after next season. 

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 11:52:38 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
They have bosh why would they want sully???? i think sully is more talented than a 8-15 pick

Bosh still has his health issues to deal with. Plus, Sullinger could play alongside either Bosh or Whiteside and gives them a solid rotation that also includes the injured McRoberts.

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 12:09:58 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Somehow I just can't see Riley dealing with Sully's weight issues.

It's gonna be a wild off-season.  I think there'll definitely be some dealing by Danny either before or on draft day.  I can't even begin to guess what he might do at this point.  He really has the team set up where he can go in any direction.  Well, other than in no way can I see more than two rooks on the team next year, if that.  I mean, with Young barely getting any time this year, he's almost still a rookie next year.  But I'm prepared to be surprised.

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 12:13:01 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

C's

Heat
Sullinger
LAC pick

Why for us?

Why for Miami?
They're in "win now" mode. Riley isn't the type that will be patient waiting for the draftee to develop. Sullinger provides depth/insurance for Bosh. Found the article below very interesting.

http://heathoops.com/2015/04/with-injuries-mounting-should-the-miami-heat-tank/#more-24828

If Miami were to tank in order to keep its 2015 first round pick, it would cause the Heat’s pick obligation to the Cavs to shift from 2015 to 2016. That, in turn, would cause the first of its two first round pick obligations to the Suns to shift from 2017 to 2018, in order to comply with the Stepien Rule. And since the second of its pick obligations to the Suns is guaranteed to be delivered in 2021, there simply wouldn’t be enough of a gap between the years 2018 and 2021 to trade any picks in between – trading the 2019 pick would only leave a one year gap (not the required two years) from 2018, and trading he 2020 pick would only leave a one year gap (not the required two years) from 2021.

In fact, if the Heat were to keep its 2015 pick, the next pick eligible for trade would be two years after its final pick obligation to the Suns is satisfied, in 2023. And, because of the Seven Year Rule, even that pick couldn’t be traded until after the 2016 draft!

I could also see Riley keeping the pick and taking Kaminsky - he can probably help them fairly immediately

I did think of Kaminsky, but Sullinger is the better player now and Kaminski's skillset is a bid redundant with McRoberts. Sullinger could take Haslem's (who's cooked) role off the bench as a rebounder/mid range shooter and upgrade that spot immediately. Plus, the Heat's training staff is pretty well regarded, albeit not at the Suns level, which could bode well for Sullinger longterm.
I could see a deal where the Heat trade down to our #16 pick but I doubt they'd trade down all the way to the Clips pick.

For next season what gives the Heat a better chance of winning, Sullinger or the #10 pick? Plus, by getting a future 1st rd pick they would be able to make a trade using one of their picks. It gives then a better opportunity to win now and to make an in season trade.
I might agree if I was sold on Sullinger.  Even if he gets in shape next season, I don't trust him not to revert to his old routine after he gets a nice new contract.  Sullinger is not going to make much of a difference to their winning next season.  Their chances ride on Wade and Bosh's health and on whether they can re-sign Dragic and possibly Deng.  I don't expect them to do better than 6th in the East. 

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 12:24:00 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Bosh still has his health issues to deal with. Plus, Sullinger could play alongside either Bosh or Whiteside and gives them a solid rotation that also includes the injured McRoberts.
If Bosh doesn't make a strong recovery from his health issues, the Heat aren't do anything next year and trading the #10 pick for Sully would be an even bigger mistake. 

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 12:52:35 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

C's

Heat
Sullinger
LAC pick

Why for us?

Why for Miami?

For next season what gives the Heat a better chance of winning, Sullinger or the #10 pick? Plus, by getting a future 1st rd pick they would be able to make a trade using one of their picks. It gives then a better opportunity to win now and to make an in season trade.
I might agree if I was sold on Sullinger.  Even if he gets in shape next season, I don't trust him not to revert to his old routine after he gets a nice new contract.  Sullinger is not going to make much of a difference to their winning next season.  Their chances ride on Wade and Bosh's health and on whether they can re-sign Dragic and possibly Deng.  I don't expect them to do better than 6th in the East.

I agree that Sully's attitude problems could definitely resurface once he signs a new deal. But he could also grow up a bit under Bosh and Wade- he was pretty reliable when KG and Pierce were here. Seems like one of those guys that needs people to hold him accountable while respecting him.
Although I don't agree about finishing 6th in the East at best...Bosh is expected to make a full recovery, and although Wade is basically only playing 50 games a year, their starting 5 would be:
Dragic
Wade
Deng
Bosh
Whiteside

That's a nasty team with Anderson, Johnson, Haslem and whatever free agents they sign off the bench. I actually think they may consider Sully+Clippers for the 10th pick.

I would actually like to gamble on Sully picking his act up after being publicly shamed the last few months. I think it's a direct strategy by the Celtics to embarrass him a little about his weight and attitude and make him think about it before his contract situation comes into play- see if he reacts positively. Ainge talks about his conditioning in every interview when Sully comes up.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 01:59:58 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

C's

Heat
Sullinger
LAC pick

Why for us?

Why for Miami?

I agree that Sully's attitude problems could definitely resurface once he signs a new deal. But he could also grow up a bit under Bosh and Wade- he was pretty reliable when KG and Pierce were here. Seems like one of those guys that needs people to hold him accountable while respecting him.
Although I don't agree about finishing 6th in the East at best...Bosh is expected to make a full recovery, and although Wade is basically only playing 50 games a year, their starting 5 would be:
Dragic
Wade
Deng
Bosh
Whiteside

That's a nasty team with Anderson, Johnson, Haslem and whatever free agents they sign off the bench. I actually think they may consider Sully+Clippers for the 10th pick.

I would actually like to gamble on Sully picking his act up after being publicly shamed the last few months. I think it's a direct strategy by the Celtics to embarrass him a little about his weight and attitude and make him think about it before his contract situation comes into play- see if he reacts positively. Ainge talks about his conditioning in every interview when Sully comes up.
Big Baby never got his act together.  Ainge and Stevens have certainly been pressuring Sully privately to deal with his weight issues for a long time.  The fact that Ainge is having to talk about it publicly is not a positive in my mind. 

That's a good starting lineup for the Heat on paper.  However. I wouldn't count on Bosh having a full recovery and definitely not doing so by the beginning of the season.  Brian Vickers, a young Nascar driver, is dealing with his 3rd occurrence of blood clots in the last few years.  Wade and Deng both have health issues.  Wade should pickup his player option but Deng may opt out.  Dragic is certainly going to opt out.  Once all the top free agents re-sign with their current teams, I'd expect Dragic to be a hot commodity.  He may get offered more than Riley is willing to pay to re-sign him.  Whiteside is a grade A knucklehead and will be looking to put up big numbers for his next contract.  That may not be conducive with him playing good team ball. 

If things fall apart for the Heat next year, they'd be better off with the 10th pick than Sully.  If everything works out fine for the Heat, they've already got a strong enough bench without Sully.  I'd personally love it if the Heat would make the trade.  I'd love to swap Sully for Johnson, Hezonja or Oubre.   

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 02:49:47 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I think some people owe me tommy points for the heat not making playoffs

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2015, 04:23:48 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40

C's

Heat
Sullinger
LAC pick

Why for us?

Why for Miami?

This trade seems kind of crazy for both of us

We are sacrificing a ton for the number 10 pick with no guarantee who would be there plus there looks like there is still a lot of talent towards the bottom of the draft
Players with a lot of potential but less guarantee of making it

While the lottery and middle of the draft look more like role players with some players with the potential to be starters

Also I don't think the heat are high on a player like sully
If it was a player like Bradley then maybe

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 07:15:02 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
4 more D-leaguers..at least Maine roster will be loaded
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 09:46:35 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Draft Express has us taking:

#16 Jerian Grant
#28 Jarell Martin
#33 Robert Upshaw
#45 Rashad Vaughn

This really would't be a horrible draft.

- Grant is a solid combo guard, although I'm not sure if I'd rather have someone like Kevon Looney or Bobby Portis instead. I'd be most happy if Jakob Poeltl slid to us!

- I'd be very happy with Martin at #28. I also like Caris LeVert and RJ Hunter.

- I love Upshaw with the #33, high upside for a second round pick. Justin Anderson if Upshaw is gone.

- Vaughn could hold some value. Stick him in Maine I guess. I wouldn't mind taking Mouhammadou Jaiteh or Guillermo Hernangomez and draft & stashing them.

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 09:53:50 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

#16 Jerian Grant
#28 Jarell Martin
#33 Robert Upshaw
#45 Rashad Vaughn

- Grant is a solid combo guard, although I'm not sure if I'd rather have someone like Kevon Looney or Bobby Portis instead. I'd be most happy if Jakob Poeltl slid to us!

- I love Upshaw with the #33, high upside for a second round pick. Justin Anderson if Upshaw is gone.

- Vaughn could hold some value. Stick him in Maine I guess. I wouldn't mind taking Mouhammadou Jaiteh or Guillermo Hernangomez and draft & stashing them.

Cool. I enjoy looking at these draft projections.

Ford has these players in his top 100

16- Portis
28- Wood
33- Alexander
45- AJ Hammons

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 09:58:49 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

#16 Jerian Grant
#28 Jarell Martin
#33 Robert Upshaw
#45 Rashad Vaughn

Cool. I enjoy looking at these draft projections.

Ford has these players in his top 100

16- Portis
28- Wood
33- Alexander
45- AJ Hammons

I'm all about BPA but 3 PFs in a row  :P

AJ Hammons is an intriguing pick with #45, 7'0" & 278lbs.

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 10:26:31 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Poeltl should be our target IMO. Won't be so hard to trade up two or three spots to get him.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo