Author Topic: We get picks #16, #28, #33 and #45.  (Read 55210 times)

We get picks #16, #28, #33 and #45.
« on: April 15, 2015, 10:41:08 PM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
Nothing too exciting...
Playoffs, baby.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 04:59:46 PM by Global Celtic »

Re: We get picks #16, #27, #33 and #45.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:46:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
DA's gonna be wheelin' and dealin' on draft day.  Not a chance this team goes into next season with 3 or 4 rookies on the roster.

Having two solid second round picks is nice, though.  Maybe we can make a couple of quality overseas draft-and-stash picks.

I'd be on board with going after Mam Jaiteh, for example.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 10:46:44 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Nothing too exciting...
Playoffs, baby.
maybe resurrect this thread later and invite everyone to post their best guesses on celtic draft picks. winners get tps galore!  :D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 10:48:38 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Fairly sure the Clips pick isn't decided until after a random draw between it and the Rockets.  Playoff seeding isn't used, unless that's changed within the last year.  So we're either 27 or 28.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 10:56:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think Danny will make a small deal to combine one or both of the second rounders to move up.  #33 may get #27 up a few spots and #16 up 2 spots at most

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 10:57:16 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
They might be able to package those two first rounders with a player to move up but I wouldn't get my hopes up.  Can't see them keeping and using 4 picks though.  At this point you'll be reducing the team's talent level.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 11:10:34 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Couldn't have ended up much worse with the Clips pick, eh. Back when Griffin got hurt, some of has had hopes of them missing the playoffs - well, it looks like they did the opposite.

The 45th pick is a nice surprise, though.

Overall, I am happy to see this team in the playoffs, even if we do get trounced. I really didn't want more than one total wasted season (last). I was happy to root for wins!

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 11:14:28 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I think the Heat would be a good trade partner.

C's

Heat
Sullinger
LAC pick
2019 1st rd pick (top 20 protected)
One or two 2016 2nd rd pick(s) - we have a bunch of these

Why for us?
We likely add a high upside player in SF (Johnson) or C (Turner).

Why for Miami?
They're in "win now" mode. Riley isn't the type that will be patient waiting for the draftee to develop. Sullinger provides depth/insurance for Bosh. Found the article below very interesting.

http://heathoops.com/2015/04/with-injuries-mounting-should-the-miami-heat-tank/#more-24828

If Miami were to tank in order to keep its 2015 first round pick, it would cause the Heat’s pick obligation to the Cavs to shift from 2015 to 2016. That, in turn, would cause the first of its two first round pick obligations to the Suns to shift from 2017 to 2018, in order to comply with the Stepien Rule. And since the second of its pick obligations to the Suns is guaranteed to be delivered in 2021, there simply wouldn’t be enough of a gap between the years 2018 and 2021 to trade any picks in between – trading the 2019 pick would only leave a one year gap (not the required two years) from 2018, and trading he 2020 pick would only leave a one year gap (not the required two years) from 2021.

In fact, if the Heat were to keep its 2015 pick, the next pick eligible for trade would be two years after its final pick obligation to the Suns is satisfied, in 2023. And, because of the Seven Year Rule, even that pick couldn’t be traded until after the 2016 draft!

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 11:17:30 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

C's

Heat
Sullinger
LAC pick

Why for us?

Why for Miami?
They're in "win now" mode. Riley isn't the type that will be patient waiting for the draftee to develop. Sullinger provides depth/insurance for Bosh. Found the article below very interesting.

http://heathoops.com/2015/04/with-injuries-mounting-should-the-miami-heat-tank/#more-24828

If Miami were to tank in order to keep its 2015 first round pick, it would cause the Heat’s pick obligation to the Cavs to shift from 2015 to 2016. That, in turn, would cause the first of its two first round pick obligations to the Suns to shift from 2017 to 2018, in order to comply with the Stepien Rule. And since the second of its pick obligations to the Suns is guaranteed to be delivered in 2021, there simply wouldn’t be enough of a gap between the years 2018 and 2021 to trade any picks in between – trading the 2019 pick would only leave a one year gap (not the required two years) from 2018, and trading he 2020 pick would only leave a one year gap (not the required two years) from 2021.

In fact, if the Heat were to keep its 2015 pick, the next pick eligible for trade would be two years after its final pick obligation to the Suns is satisfied, in 2023. And, because of the Seven Year Rule, even that pick couldn’t be traded until after the 2016 draft!

That's interesting. Riley is just the type of overzealous win-now guy that Danny could fleece. However, the one thing that could be stronger than his lust to win is his hatred for rivals, and the Celtics would certainly top that list.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 11:22:33 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

C's

Heat
Sullinger
LAC pick

Why for us?

Why for Miami?

This is a good idea. I do think that #10 is a very valuable pick in this draft.

I could also see Riley keeping the pick and taking Kaminsky - he can probably help them fairly immediately

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 11:22:34 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
They might be able to package those two first rounders with a player to move up but I wouldn't get my hopes up.  Can't see them keeping and using 4 picks though.  At this point you'll be reducing the team's talent level.
You're overestimating our talent level.  We've got Babb and Pressey on our roster.  Draft Express shows some relatively good talent available in the late 1st/early 2nd range. 

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 11:29:51 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

C's

Heat
Sullinger
LAC pick

Why for us?

Why for Miami?

I could also see Riley keeping the pick and taking Kaminsky - he can probably help them fairly immediately

I did think of Kaminsky, but Sullinger is the better player now and Kaminski's skillset is a bid redundant with McRoberts. Sullinger could take Haslem's (who's cooked) role off the bench as a rugged rebounder/mid range shooter (with a better interior game) and upgrade that spot immediately. Plus, the Heat's training staff is pretty well regarded, albeit not at the Suns level, which could bode well for Sullinger longterm.

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 11:38:05 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

C's

Heat
Sullinger
LAC pick

Why for us?

Why for Miami?

I did think of Kaminsky, but Sullinger is the better player now and Kaminski's skillset is a bid redundant with McRoberts. Sullinger could take Haslem's (who's cooked) role off the bench as a rebounder/mid range shooter and upgrade that spot immediately. Plus, the Heat's training staff is pretty well regarded, albeit not at the Suns level, which could bode well for Sullinger longterm.
I could see a deal where the Heat trade down to our #16 pick but I doubt they'd trade down all the way to the Clips pick. 

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 11:38:52 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

C's

Heat
Sullinger
LAC pick

Why for us?

Why for Miami?

I did think of Kaminsky, but Sullinger is the better player now and Kaminski's skillset is a bid redundant with McRoberts. Sullinger could take Haslem's (who's cooked) role off the bench as a rebounder/mid range shooter and upgrade that spot immediately. Plus, the Heat's training staff is pretty well regarded, albeit not at the Suns level, which could bode well for Sullinger longterm.
I could see a deal where the Heat trade down to our #16 pick but I doubt they'd trade down all the way to the Clips pick.

Agreed. Our pick + Sullly for their pick + Napier, something like that.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 11:44:38 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

C's

Heat
Sullinger
LAC pick

Why for us?

Why for Miami?

For next season what gives the Heat a better chance of winning, Sullinger or the #10 pick? Plus, by getting a future 1st rd pick they would be able to make a trade using one of their picks. It gives then a better opportunity to win now and to make an in season trade.