Author Topic: Maybe Cousins was Danny's goal all along  (Read 10580 times)

Re: Maybe Cousins was Danny's goal all along
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Hopefully.

Nothing should be off the table this offseason.

This year we are a playoff team.

Therefore, it's time to progress forward with a better team for next year.

I'd hate to give up on Smart, but between Smart, Sully, Wallace's expiring and some of our more desirable picks, a deal could be reached for Cousins.

Then go out and get Kevin Love in free agency

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 07:16:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

What if a deal for a guy like Cousins, or signing a player like Love, isn't in the cards this off-season?

It's possible that Ainge will have to take a couple steps back in order set the roster up to be better in the future.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2015, 07:30:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

What if a deal for a guy like Cousins, or signing a player like Love, isn't in the cards this off-season?

It's possible that Ainge will have to take a couple steps back in order set the roster up to be better in the future.

I don't really see who we would trade that would make us take steps back. Obviously anything is possible but it is like we have a lot of established veteran talents that we can unload. I mean sure we can not resign Bass and Crowder, but would DA just sit on all the money? Would we try to trade Bradley for a future first? Theoretically I guess we could trade Thomas, but its' hard to imagine him down that if it is just for a future first rounder since that is what we just got him for.

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2015, 07:44:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Why take a couple steps back?

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2015, 07:48:03 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Chuckle.

The rebuilding fans strike again.

There will be no steps back.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2015, 07:58:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think a star player is/was the plan all along, whether a team would choose our quantity of picks over a known commodity like a high lottery pick this year remains to be seen.

That being said a lot of the teams picking in the high lottery are so bad that are star would refuse to go there.

Our best chance is trading Denver a bunch of picks for a package that George Karl would like for Boogie.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2015, 08:14:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Chuckle.

The rebuilding fans strike again.

There will be no steps back.

This is not about tanking.

What about how Ainge has rebuilt the team in the past makes you think he wouldn't take steps backward, or steps sideways that might make the team worse, if he thinks it would set the team up better to make a move for a star in the future?

Simply letting Bass go in free agency, not re-signing Jerebko or Datome, and adding a handful of rookies and / or young players acquired via trade would be "taking steps back."  It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Ainge package a couple of picks, Bradley, and Zeller or Olynyk to move up into the top 10 of the draft, for example.  That would be a step back in the present.

If the moves aren't there in free agency or via trade to make the team a contender for something better than a bottom seed, I don't expect Ainge to force things just to appease fans that think it's a moral imperative for the team to try and reach for .500.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2015, 08:18:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

If Ainge sees an opportunity to exchange 3 or 4 of the Celtics' many "C+" assets for one "B" / A-" asset, I think he would take it, even if it made the team worse in the present.

The biggest obstacle the Celtics face right now in the rebuild is turning a high quantity of lower quality assets into a small number of high quality assets.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2015, 08:29:05 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
So take the time to name off the top 5 centers in the nba.  ::)
out of those five who is available either through draft (none), free agency or trade (add in disgruntled)

I love the work ethic of our team but NO ONE on our group is untradable.  Add cousins into whatever team is left.  figure different trade deals, sully, ko, bradley etc etc
that is a good team

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2015, 08:32:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

If Ainge sees an opportunity to exchange 3 or 4 of the Celtics' many "C+" assets for one "B" / A-" asset, I think he would take it, even if it made the team worse in the present.

The biggest obstacle the Celtics face right now in the rebuild is turning a high quantity of lower quality assets into a small number of high quality assets.
Completely agree with this.

However, I don't think it will cause the C's to take a couple steps back. I think Ainge and Stevens will be able to identify underutilized assets and get the most out of them to make up for the depth we would lose in a 3 or 4 for 1 deal.

For example if we dealt, Olynyk, Sully and Turner for a better quality player, then I think we could resign, Jerebko, Bass and Crowder (while potentially drafting another big) and not miss a beat.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2015, 09:03:20 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
If I'm Sacramento, I'm not trading Cousins unless he actually forces his way out of town. The poster that mentioned Koufos is probably being more realistic, even if I disagree with his choice. How about players like Biyombo and Khris Middleton who could dramatically improve our greatest weakness, frontcourt defense. Nerlens Noel may possibly be available depending on Philly's draft position. We are not taking a step back, but trying to take the next step to 45-50 wins

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2015, 09:54:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

The biggest obstacle the Celtics face right now in the rebuild is turning a high quantity of lower quality assets into a small number of high quality assets..

This is gospel and true.

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2015, 02:41:09 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
teams don't want a plenthora of mid-to-late picks.  Several teams can outbid us.   I don't think you're moving the needle unless you include Marcus Smart in a trade package.  What else do we have that has theoretical future value?

I dont know, I think Brooklyn's pick next year is extremely valuable. I'd be very surprised if it wasnt at least a top 8 pick.

But completely unknown. They could be a borderline playoff team. The pick placement would have to be much more clear to have real value

Not really. The Brooklyn picks have significant value right now because even though we don't know where that pick ends us, it's becoming increasingly likely that it'll be at least in the mid-late lottery. Brooklyn didn't even make the playoffs this year, yet they have absolutely no cap room to sign anyone, no assets to trade for anyone and a first round pick this year from the Hawks that's like #29. Lopez could even opt out of his deal this year, he prob won't but if he does, they're gonna be even worse. So they're either going into next year with Deron who's declining at light speed, a 37 year old Joe Johnson who's also on a sharp decline and Lopez who has been riddled with injuries and is a poor defender. If Lopez is your best player your headed for the lottery.

The East is getting a lot better as the Nets just keep getting worse. I think they're lucky if they finish 10th in the east, which is probably around pick #8. They had a chance to move Deron but to do so they'd have to include their best remaining asset in Plumlee just to do so. So that could happen and that pick is probably even higher.

The outlook for the Nets is bad. Really bad. Having their 3 next first round picks unprotected is a seriously valuable asset. I would be shocked if at least one or two of them weren't well within the lottery.

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2015, 02:55:47 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Given the fact we a plethora of picks at our disposal, it seems pretty reasonable that Cousins is the second major move (after acquiring Isaiah) we need to speed up our rebuild until we reach the status of a perennial contender.

Giving up 2 or 3 first rounders and a player or two for DeMarcus isn't as outrageous as it seems when you first hear it: we would still own more draft picks than any other team, we would clear out our roster and acquire arguably the most dominant big man in the NBA.

Thoughts?
it'll take more than 2 picks and 2 of any of our players to get Cousins.

I am aware but at this point no deal for cousins is outrageous. Only Isaiah, Jae and Marcus should be untouchable.

To me, if there is an opportunity to get Cousins (I mean a REAL opportunity) then there is not a single player on this team that's untouchable.

I'd put together a deal that includes ALL of our picks from this upcoming season + Crowder + Sully + Zeller if that's what I had to do to pull a talent like Cousins. 

I would prefer to keep Smart, Bradley, Thomas, Bass and Olynyk if I could - but if adding one of those guys to the trade is what it takes to make it happen, I'm not saying no.   

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2015, 03:05:33 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
We probably can't get him without Smart. If I were the Kings and Cousins demanded a trade, I'd ask Danny for:

Smart
Bkn 2016
Bkn/Bos 2017
Bkn 2018
+salary

Would you do it? I think I would, but it does hurt.

Yes, I would.

I love Smart, he's already one of my favorite Celtics ever...but this is Demarcus Cousins we're talking about.  This guy has the potential to be one of the greatest centers of all time if he plays his cards right.

As you said trading Smart would hurt as lot, but I honestly think that Smart's ceiling is a step or two below where Cousins already is.  Cousins is already a #1 center and top 5 player (top 10 at the very least) in the NBA and he's only what...24 or 25 years old? 

I think Smart has the potential to be an All-Star one day and maybe a top 20 or 25 player, but I doubt he'll ever be as good as Cousins is right now.