Author Topic: Will James Young ever pass 'The Paul Pierce Test'?  (Read 12853 times)

Re: Will James Young ever pass 'The Paul Pierce Test'?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2015, 09:59:55 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Paul Pierce is a top five celtic most likely at least top ten, I do not see Young doing that.

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 10:08:58 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Paul Pierce is a top five celtic most likely at least top ten, I do not see Young doing that.
No lucid soul expects him to.

the Paul Pierce test is about effort etc. Crowder would probably pass the Paul Pierce test but he isnt half the player Pierce was.

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2015, 10:33:53 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
It was good to see young get some time and points in the final season game, a great time for CBS to give him some NBA experience. Definitely still a 'wait and see' proposition but well worth the wait if he keeps learning and improving.

I think we will see PP back at the Celtics when he stops playing. So much to offer and loves the C's.

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2015, 02:11:35 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=12925996

In this interview of Stevens, he talks about James Young work ethic which is good and he also says that his working hard in the gym and his talent is huge. He also said that his time will come sooner rather than later.

He is improving on "The Paul Pierce Test" which is a good thing and I really hope that when Paul will come to Boston in the summer (or even next season), he'll teach Young some valuable lessons as their similar players, not saying that JY will be as good as Pierce, but  he's crafty and he's got that beautiful step back J.

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2015, 02:49:25 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Pierce just keeps giving me more reasons to love 'em...

as for Young, yeah it's early but i'm feelin a lil Gerald Green here. seems Gerald didn't "get it" till it was almost gone. you can tell with Young it's a lot to do with desire by the way he plays defense. hopefully it doesn't take him 8 yrs. to "get it" like Green though.

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2015, 03:31:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think every quality player in the league plays mad the way Pierce describes.  Pierce is kind of an old school guy in that sense -- trash talking, playing tough, motivating himself by getting himself and / or his opponent worked up.

That's not the only way to find success in the league, I don't think.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2015, 03:37:37 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I don't think every quality player in the league plays mad the way Pierce describes.  Pierce is kind of an old school guy in that sense -- trash talking, playing tough, motivating himself by getting himself and / or his opponent worked up.

maybe that's how he meant it. but I took it as he thinks if Porter played mad it might show he cared.

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2015, 04:53:47 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I took that as a "not trying hard enough" comment.

And no, I'm doubting James is gonna work hard enough to fully realize his talent. This is a team where Bass still supposedly works harder than the young guys, and after a year with the team, all the praise James got from his coach this week is that his "work ethic is good" and he "goes into the gym every day".

That's not the raving of a future star's coach.

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2015, 05:05:44 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I can't say what he will be in the future. But I expect to see James Young be at least serviceable this year. A rotation player that gives you something when he comes in, so we can get an idea what the finished product will be. He'll be 20-21 this year, not mature yet, but he knows what to expect. He should be much more prepared.. 

Last year except for this 3, and that wasn't really reliable, he was mostly over matched. He looked like a kid in a man league, didn't want to get in anyone space, or make a mistake. When the playoff dream came, he was mostly forgotten. 

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2015, 05:25:06 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
In a word, no.

He was lost in the association last year. He is a long way away from serviceable.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2015, 01:40:34 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=12925996

In this interview of Stevens, he talks about James Young work ethic which is good and he also says that his working hard in the gym and his talent is huge. He also said that his time will come sooner rather than later.

He is improving on "The Paul Pierce Test" which is a good thing and I really hope that when Paul will come to Boston in the summer (or even next season), he'll teach Young some valuable lessons as their similar players, not saying that JY will be as good as Pierce, but  he's crafty and he's got that beautiful step back J.
It is a thing of beauty. He had some great shots with Maine. He would be a top 10 pick this year, too.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2015, 02:52:02 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I think Pierce just meant "he needs to want it more." Players show that lots of different ways.

My favorite example of this would probably be John Stockton. He never said a peep or showed any emotion, but you just knew he was one of the toughest, most competitive SOBs to ever play the game.