Author Topic: we have a better shot then you think not a good chance but a better shot  (Read 4413 times)

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
We match up better then you think defensivly
 I think smart can shut down irving reasonably. Smart in the playoffs I think will be good.
avery bradley can take out J.r smith I am pretty sure
Kevin love has not nearly played as well as he should be so I think brandon bass can actually take him out
 And zellar is just as good as mozgoef
 The real question is lebron. How to contain him and how to hold him  down. we have the better bench and the better coach. I think bradley stevens has to make jae crowder start. he is our best sf at defense. If jaw crowder can somehow play decent defense on lebron we might have a shot. comment below what you think
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Stevens's strategy on offense has to be simple: attack the old, slow guys or the white ones. The Celtics can only do so much to slow Irving, LeBron, Smith, and LeBron, but they can attack the worst defender and keep the Cavs in a flux. If the Celtics attack Kyrie, Dellavedova, Mike Miller, Matrix, and Love, problems could pop up for Cleveland. This is where you take your (possibly only) advantage and beat it into the ground.

That, and make the open 3s.

Oh, and I really want to see Smart get in the face of "King James."

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I would say the real question is would the league allow us to win?

Ain't no way the refs help us at all
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think that Lebron and Kyrie are both going to go off.  That's probably enough for the Cavs to win, even if we play our best.  However, if we do pull off an upset, it will be because we shut down Love, Smith, and the rest of the Cavs secondary players.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What a subject line lol

Praying CBS can pull off a Butler tourney like miracle myself

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
Agree! ( Was about to start a similar thread myself)

The Cavs could come out shaky in their first year of contention, considering Kyrie and Love haven't been there plus the added pressure of being the east favorites. If we pulled a miracle and grabbed one of the first two on the road who knows what can happen.

Also agree on our defensive matchups, LeBron will try to get others going so will be interesting if Stevens throws doubles at him and when.

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I think doubling Lebron is generally a recipe for disaster because passing lanes basically don't apply to him. I think teams can maybe pull it off if they have 2 long and athletic bigs to clog things up, but we really don't have that. I think if we double Lebron, either someone is taking a wide open 3 or we have to stretch out or defense and Kyrie has a layup.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'd be very surprised if we could pull off a series win to be honest, but I do like our changes of at least making it hard for them - I could see the Cavs winning the series 4-2. 

For the Celtics to win they need to nail two things - defence, and teamwork. 

One big advantage we have is depth.  Our starters don't need to necessarily outplay theirs, all they need to do is compete, hold their own, and keep it close.  As long as they can do that the guys in our second unit (Thomas, Olynyk, Sully, Crowder and Jerebko) should be able to outplay their bench with relative ease and might be able to give us the edge.

There are two a huge fundamental differences in the way Cleveland is constructed compared to this Celtics team. 

Firstly Cleveland is extremely top heavy and highly depending on their three big stars. They can dominate in a regular season, but for them to dominate in the playoffs they absolutely NEED those three guys to all play well.  If any of those guys get hurt, get into foul trouble, or have a bad shooting series, then the Cavs could be in a lot of trouble.  The Celtics on the other hand don't have any one guy they depend on - they do what they do by sharing the sugar, and with every guy playing their part.  We have enough depth that if one guy has a bad game or gets into foul trouble, there's always another guy or two ready to take their place.

Secondly, Cleveland wins games entirely with their offence, because their defence is ultimately pretty terrible.  Boston are much improved offensively, but they win primarily with their defence.  Everybody says defence wins playoff games, and that's because defence is an effort area that you have full control over.  You can (and will) go through good and bad shooting streaks, but if you play great defence you give yourself a chance to win every night.

As far as matchups, they could be interesting.  Boston is under a lot of pressure defending the likes of Kyrie, James and Love...but with the exception of James not one of those guys is a capable defensive player.  Smart can really make things hard for Irving, but neither Irving nor JR Smith can really defend Bradley if he gets on one of those hot streaks.  Likewise Bass can make things difficult for Kevin Love (who is pretty athletic and undersized) but you're not likely going to see Love making much of an effort to close in on Bass' jumpers so he should be getting easy shots all night.  Zeller and Mozgov will be a very interesting matchup, and I'll also be interested to see what Smart can do with Irving defending him.  Lebron is going to get his points and will probably take Turner out of the game, but you never know...Turner is streaky and can have his moments.

As far as bench goes, that's where Cleveland are going to find it hard.  Who on Cleveland's bench can defend Isaiah Thomas?  How about Sully and Olynyk - who's going to chase those guys out to the perimeter? 

Somehow I get the feeling that Kelly Olynyk is going to come up big at some point in this series, and I think Isaiah Thomas is going to make Cleveland's life a living hell.

Still doubt Boston can win the series, but we'll see. If they did, the outright embarrassment the Cavs would face...there's a good chance Love would bail in free agency and I'd be curious to see if Lebron does the same.  But that's just dreaming really, because not likely lol

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
We have no shot guys. We dropped 5 slots in the draft to get sweeped by the future EC Champs. Awesome :(

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't see us winning and quite probably getting creamed in a couple of games because we really don't have an answer for Lebron on defense nor someone we can play at SF to make him work on D. 

I think Smart and AB can play D well enough to frustrate Kyrie and JR.  We have PFs that we can cycle on Love to make him work for his points and offensive boards and really take advantage of him on D. 

Lebron's where we'll get killed.  Smartest move I can think of is get really physical with him.  every drive to the hoop -- hard foul.  have him hit the deck on every drive.  we've got enough bodies to spread the fouls around if they can't stop him penetrating (and they rarely will).

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
We have no shot guys. We dropped 5 slots in the draft to get sweeped by the future EC Champs. Awesome :(

lol I will never get it...

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I would say the real question is would the league allow us to win?

Ain't no way the refs help us at all
Agreed we already know the refs are going to let him get away with murder. I could already see the blatant hard foul/steals they'll let him get as he blitzes us on defense. We definitely need to return the favor and smack him up.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hornets were very much in the thick of this playoff race up until a week or so ago.  Arguably a better team than us when healthy (MKG, Kemba and Big Al all spent time injured).   They'll have the 9th best odds in the draft.  We're picking #16.    That's 7 spots minimum between two teams that all things considered are (at best) even matchups.    9th best odds won the Wiggins pick last year... it's unlikely to happen two years in a row.

I'd like to say we have a chance in these playoffs, but it would take a catastrophic meltdown by Cleveland for us to make a dent against them.   This is the playoffs.  The Cavs have been outstanding over the second half.   LeBron is going to eat us alive.   For the record, I was totally on board with the playoff push.  We have no chance, but it will be fun for a quarter or two... then this is going to start to feel like 2004 against the Pacers.   Made the playoffs with 36 wins... Lost by 16 in game 1.  Lost by 13 in game 2.   Lost by 23 in game 3.   Lost by 15 in game 4.   Aint no fun.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 12:20:04 PM by LarBrd33 »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hornets were very much in the thick of this playoff race up until a week or so ago.  Arguably a better team than us when healthy (MKG, Kemba and Big Al all spent time injured).   They'll have the 9th best odds in the draft.  We're picking #16.    That's 7 spots minimum between two teams that all things considered are (at best) even matchups.   

I'd like to say we have a chance in these playoffs, but it would take a catastrophic meltdown by Cleveland for us to make a dent against them.   This is the playoffs.  The Cavs have been outstanding over the second half.   LeBron is going to eat us alive.   For the record, I was totally on board with the playoff push.  We have no chance, but it will be fun for a quarter or two... then this is going to start to feel like 2004 against the Pacers.   Made the playoffs with 36 wins... Lost by 16 in game 1.  Lost by 13 in game 2.   Lost by 23 in game 3.   Lost by 15 in game 4.   Aint no fun.

The bright side of that story is that Boston finished a game above the Cavs that season.  Cavs had the 9th projected pick and Boston, by making the playoffs, had the #14 pick.   The Bobcats expansion pushed the Cavs to the 10th pick and Boston to 15th.   Cavs took Luke Jackson.  Celtics took Al Jefferson.   So the useless playoff appearance didn't really hurt us.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think too, that if we make it interesting the whistles will come out for the Cavs and the NBA will have one of 20+ FT shot quarters that happens when they choose to rig a game.