Author Topic: Good Read from Pierce by Jackie MacMullan  (Read 20956 times)

Re: Good Read from Pierce by Jackie MacMullan
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2015, 09:45:35 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Pierce is firm: Next season will be his last.

"I've had my time,'' he said.

Did anyone else pick up on this, or is it old news?

Yeah, I saw that.  When Pierce and KG  are gone from the league, it's going to be a little sad.  It's probably me just getting older, but I largely don't find the current generation of stars to be as likeable as the guys like Pierce, KG, Duncan, Dirk, etc.

I think the likability stems from what Pierce said; those guys worked hard. And it showed. These newer guys are more entitled and less apt to work, yet so tantalizingly talented. It also doesn't help that team like the Thunder have no camaraderie with the media; that must help paint a less-rosy picture when it comes to what we read.

Nailed it.

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2015, 09:50:59 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Nets sources claim that Pierce only would stay if he got paid:
Nets Daily: According to Nets sources last June, Pierce initially wanted $20m over 2 years to remain in "horrible" situation. NO doubt most of what Pierce has said is accurate but he did want to stay and wanted a lot of money. Twitter @NetsDaily

Pierce said as much in the column, so... nothing new, just the Nets trying to spin it. And the Nets being in the position they were $20 million for 2 years is not a lot of money particularly when you factor in how productive he was for them in the playoffs. They didn't have cap space to begin with, they still don't.

« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2015, 10:01:51 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I dont know why PP said some of these things.

He needs to learn to keep some of these things to himself

« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2015, 10:02:48 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I dont know why PP said these things.

Can't handle The Truth?

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2015, 10:03:37 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Tanguay was filling in on WEEI for John Dennis today morning. Callahan tried to badger him about the beat writers being aware of how Ray Allen was in the locker room, but choosing not to make a story out of it.

I wonder whether he ever has this conversation with his boss Bradfo, the ultimate Red Sox fanboy.

#hypocrite  ;D
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2015, 10:05:37 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Glade Pierce gave us the TRUTH ....D will is a team locker room killer .  Knew it from his Utah days .....chasing a big pay check

So....if you like D Will .....player with skill and no heart .....then you have to love his new clone

Exum....

Pierce exposed the passionless team the Nets are .  Now they got a sucky coach too.

Miss the TRUTH

That article was very refreshing to read. As a commenter said (wherever I read it), most interviews today are so watered down and don't give any useful information except for what the reporter(s) want to hear. I thoroughly enjoyed this article.

It also confirmed by suspicions that 1. Ray was always the odd man out and 2. Something stinked in Brooklyn last year and now we know what it was. 
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2015, 10:18:10 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yeah, I saw that.  When Pierce and KG  are gone from the league, it's going to be a little sad.  It's probably me just getting older, but I largely don't find the current generation of stars to be as likeable as the guys like Pierce, KG, Duncan, Dirk, etc.

I think the likability stems from what Pierce said; those guys worked hard. And it showed. These newer guys are more entitled and less apt to work, yet so tantalizingly talented. It also doesn't help that team like the Thunder have no camaraderie with the media; that must help paint a less-rosy picture when it comes to what we read.

They said the same thing about Pierce's generation when they were young, and the Shaq/Iverson generation before that, and so on.  In the 80s when I started watching people were grumbling that the Magic/Bird/Jordan crew were all flash and no substance (less so about Bird than the others to be fair), and didn't appreciate fundamentals, defense and hard work.  Heck, Pierce even acknowledges in the interview that he didn't work as hard as he could or take care of himself in his younger years.  Flash forward 10 years and we'll be holding up the "lazy kids" of today as respected vets who "play the right way" and complaining about how the new players are so spoiled and lazy.   So it goes.

« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2015, 10:18:55 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
So....if you like D Will .....player with skill and no heart .....then you have to love his new clone

Exum....

That's a random driveby if I ever saw it.

Pierce throws shade on D Will-->D Will has talent but no heart-->If you like players like D Will with talent but no heart, you must like Dante Exum-->Dante Exum has lots of talent but no heart.

That's like hopping in a car to get from Boston to NYC but stopping in Chicago because its on the way.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2015, 10:35:03 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Can't handle The Truth?

Im sure ppl can say some  "truth' about Pierce but wont

He is no angel

Bottom line is he needs to keep some things to himself.

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2015, 10:38:11 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Can't handle The Truth?

He is no angel

Why?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2015, 10:40:42 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Every generation since forever has claimed the next generation is spoiled whipersnappers who don't want it enough. I just ignore all of that from him in this article. The Ray stuff doesn't surprise me, and explains a lot of how the dynamic in the locker room was.

« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2015, 10:40:57 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Can't handle The Truth?

He is no angel

Why?

What is the pt of telling the public about others in a negative viewpoint??

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2015, 10:53:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think there is value in honesty, especially in retrospect when you're nearing the end.

What's the point in hiding your views of the past? What value does protecting the "feelings" of old teammates give?

« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2015, 10:54:13 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think there is value in honesty, especially in retrospect when you're nearing the end.

What's the point in hiding your views of the past? What value does protecting the "feelings" of old teammates give?

Exactly.  If you're gonna be candid, you're gonna be candid.  I don't have an issue with it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2015, 10:58:45 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

They said the same thing about Pierce's generation when they were young, and the Shaq/Iverson generation before that, and so on.  In the 80s when I started watching people were grumbling that the Magic/Bird/Jordan crew were all flash and no substance (less so about Bird than the others to be fair), and didn't appreciate fundamentals, defense and hard work.  Heck, Pierce even acknowledges in the interview that he didn't work as hard as he could or take care of himself in his younger years.  Flash forward 10 years and we'll be holding up the "lazy kids" of today as respected vets who "play the right way" and complaining about how the new players are so spoiled and lazy.   So it goes.

Not going to re-read the article, but from what I recall the gist of what I gathered that Pierce was saying was:

1. Young people don't work hard enough, don't prepare enough to be great. He included himself, he now knows better and hopes the young players learn from his mistakes.

2. In the past, he alludes that there were not off days for practice for young players. Now that's more of an organizational thing to protect their assets more than anything rather than shot at young players that don't practice.

So, if I read it correctly, it wasn't really a "our generation did it better than yours" in the sense of calling these younger players lazy, but maybe from an organization context, they're not pushing the players to their limit while young... pampering them. And maybe that in turn causes entitlement and lack of focus to become great.

At least that's how I perceived it when I first read it.