Author Topic: Good Read from Pierce by Jackie MacMullan  (Read 20957 times)

Re: Good Read from Pierce by Jackie MacMullan
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2015, 06:14:08 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Nets sources claim that Pierce only would stay if he got paid:
Nets Daily: According to Nets sources last June, Pierce initially wanted $20m over 2 years to remain in "horrible" situation. NO doubt most of what Pierce has said is accurate but he did want to stay and wanted a lot of money. Twitter @NetsDaily
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2015, 06:43:42 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I love this guy. he needs to play his final season in boston.

i so wish there was a better team around him earlier in his career.

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2015, 06:50:42 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Saw this on twitter. HAHAHAHA

I was hoping Jermaine O'Neal would have made the list...
mark blount

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2015, 06:58:47 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
There use to be a popular myth that Michael Jackson slept in a hyperbaric chamber.  It surfaced in 1986 when someone photographed him laying in one at a hospital he was visiting.  It was never true.  It was one of the first early tabloid myths that earned him the label "Wacko Jacko" and lead to him writing the song "Leave me Alone"... 

That's basically the only time I've really read about hyperbaric chambers.

Funny to read that Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce both sleep in them.

Bill Romanowski, the football player, used to sleep in one about 15 years ago too.

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2015, 07:01:45 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't really have a problem with what Pierce says about Ray.  Everyone is different and it's pretty unfair to judge someone based on a few anecdotes.   Ray may be a horrible and difficult person, but he also just may do things differently. Maybe he prioritized time with his wife and children over anything else -- would that make him a jerk?   Maybe he figured that as an NBA player who spends nights, weekends and half the season on the road away from his kids that whatever time is left is sacrosanct -- for family.  Or maybe not, but we don't have enough information to judge.

It might be fair to say that we don't have enough information to fully judge. However, there is a decent amount of details given. It wasn't like Pierce thought Ray should have spent more time with the guys drinking beer or going bowling. He says it was pretty weird that they would have fundraising events and they would show up at his, but he would never come to theirs. It also doesn't sound like he only made a few times, but more like he never made it.

I think it is similar in most people's workplace where he have things that we really should do. I know sometimes when someone is new to the office or leaving we have the occasional event that I definitely don't want to go to, but still go cause it is part of being a good coworker. I still do skip some of the, but if I never went my coworkers might think a bit less of me.

It would be especially weird if I was asking them to come to events for me but never going to theirs.

To be clear this isn't ray drunk driving or breaking any laws, I just respect Paul Pierce, particularly as he entered the later stages of his career. To hear him speak like this carries some weight with me. I can understand if it doesn't for others.

I don't do jack with my co-workers and I like it that way. I hate how some places want you to be all buddy-buddy with your co-workers. It's a business man, if I get fired tomorrow, they won't give a you-know-what.

Ray knew it was all business, I like that
Except that when Ray had fundraisers, the other Celtics would go.  He didn't return the favor.  Other players supported Ray, and Ray didn't support the other players.  Sounds like a one way street.  Not good.

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2015, 07:18:21 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
my apsolute favorite player off all time, hands down, great read, tp
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2015, 08:07:23 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Nets Daily: According to Nets sources last June, Pierce initially wanted $20m over 2 years to remain in "horrible" situation. NO doubt most of what Pierce has said is accurate but he did want to stay and wanted a lot of money. Twitter @NetsDaily
I find it absolutely natural to want to be more highly compensated to stay in a horrible situation. The Nets are not exactly helping their case here.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2015, 08:41:40 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
I find it absolutely natural to want to be more highly compensated to stay in a horrible situation. The Nets are not exactly helping their case here.

Exactly, I really didn't get it. You [dang] right I'm going to be compensated well for being somewhere that I hate.

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2015, 08:45:09 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Now Gary Tanguay (one of the biggest anti-Rondo's) is saying he "knew" Ray was a fraud.. ::)

?@MrTrpleDouble10
Tanguay on WEEI: "I always knew Ray Allen was a fraud. He was the type of guy that would always carry a book around but never read it"

?@MrTrpleDouble10
Tanguay also admitted he got the majority of his C's info from Donny Marshall

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2015, 09:03:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Pierce is firm: Next season will be his last.

"I've had my time,'' he said.

Did anyone else pick up on this, or is it old news?

Yeah, I saw that.  When Pierce and KG  are gone from the league, it's going to be a little sad.  It's probably me just getting older, but I largely don't find the current generation of stars to be as likeable as the guys like Pierce, KG, Duncan, Dirk, etc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2015, 09:12:02 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Now Gary Tanguay (one of the biggest anti-Rondo's) is saying he "knew" Ray was a fraud.. ::)

?@MrTrpleDouble10
Tanguay on WEEI: "I always knew Ray Allen was a fraud. He was the type of guy that would always carry a book around but never read it"

?@MrTrpleDouble10
Tanguay also admitted he got the majority of his C's info from Donny Marshall

I hate Tanguay with a burning passion. I hope CSN fires him

Now back to the article

I miss Pierce, I hope he will come back to Boston somehow, as a player or whatever. I miss KG and PP so much  :'(

Sucks that PP and KG had to go through BKN but at the same time, I'm glad Danny help ruin that franchise. A team ran by idiots.

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2015, 09:34:20 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
They are quoting Pierce.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2015, 09:39:25 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah, I saw that.  When Pierce and KG  are gone from the league, it's going to be a little sad.  It's probably me just getting older, but I largely don't find the current generation of stars to be as likeable as the guys like Pierce, KG, Duncan, Dirk, etc.

It's also sad to me because that's the last crop of athletes that are older than me.  You hit your mid-thirties and, all of a sudden, you see a lot of guys you saw coming up when you were in middle school/high school/college start retiring from sports.   Heck, I look at football and guys who were my contemporaries in college are now either retired or 12 year veterans.  It's crazy to think.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2015, 09:39:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Glade Pierce gave us the TRUTH ....D will is a team locker room killer .  Knew it from his Utah days .....chasing a big pay check

So....if you like D Will .....player with skill and no heart .....then you have to love his new clone

Exum....

Pierce exposed the passionless team the Nets are .  Now they got a sucky coach too.

Miss the TRUTH

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2015, 09:40:48 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

I think the likability stems from what Pierce said; those guys worked hard. And it showed. These newer guys are more entitled and less apt to work, yet so tantalizingly talented. It also doesn't help that team like the Thunder have no camaraderie with the media; that must help paint a less-rosy picture when it comes to what we read.