Author Topic: Good Read from Pierce by Jackie MacMullan  (Read 20934 times)

Re: Good Read from Pierce by Jackie MacMullan
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I don't really have a problem with what Pierce says about Ray.  Everyone is different and it's pretty unfair to judge someone based on a few anecdotes.   Ray may be a horrible and difficult person, but he also just may do things differently. Maybe he prioritized time with his wife and children over anything else -- would that make him a jerk?   Maybe he figured that as an NBA player who spends nights, weekends and half the season on the road away from his kids that whatever time is left is sacrosanct -- for family.  Or maybe not, but we don't have enough information to judge.

It might be fair to say that we don't have enough information to fully judge. However, there is a decent amount of details given. It wasn't like Pierce thought Ray should have spent more time with the guys drinking beer or going bowling. He says it was pretty weird that they would have fundraising events and they would show up at his, but he would never come to theirs. It also doesn't sound like he only made a few times, but more like he never made it.

I think it is similar in most people's workplace where he have things that we really should do. I know sometimes when someone is new to the office or leaving we have the occasional event that I definitely don't want to go to, but still go cause it is part of being a good coworker. I still do skip some of the, but if I never went my coworkers might think a bit less of me.

It would be especially weird if I was asking them to come to events for me but never going to theirs.

To be clear this isn't ray drunk driving or breaking any laws, I just respect Paul Pierce, particularly as he entered the later stages of his career. To hear him speak like this carries some weight with me. I can understand if it doesn't for others.

I don't do jack with my co-workers and I like it that way. I hate how some places want you to be all buddy-buddy with your co-workers. It's a business man, if I get fired tomorrow, they won't give a you-know-what.

Ray knew it was all business, I like that

Re: Jackie Mac article talking with pierce
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 07:12:58 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
I love when Paul Pierce talks candidly like this.

He basically just threw Ray Allen and Deron Williams under the bus.

I still love the truth!!

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 07:15:50 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Now it all makes sense with the Ray thing..yeah Rondo and Ray had their problems, but it just really seemed like Ray wasn't really a "team" guy and he was ready to go..the narrative was easier to blame it on Rondo.

I found it strange when Doc had said that PP and KG didn't reach out to Ray during the free agency to woo him. I love these types of interviews, Truth riding into the sunset and letting it all hang out..lol.

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 07:23:48 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
This was a great read. He totally rips Ray and DWill to shreds without it coming off as emotional or bitter. His candidness is hilarious to me.

Edit: Ha! This is almost exactly what Timbousa said.

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 07:30:17 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
This was a great read. He totally rips Ray and DWill to shreds without it coming off as emotional or bitter. His candidness is hilarious to me.

Haha great minds...? lol

Also wouldn't it be awesome to see Paul Pierce back in the right uniform next season?

With this new Celtic team, him and Evan Turner can go back and forth with the half court point forward role and set tons of screens in the perimeter.

The only uniform the fits the Truth right is the Green and White.

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 07:43:56 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Haha great minds...? lol

Also wouldn't it be awesome to see Paul Pierce back in the right uniform next season?

With this new Celtic team, him and Evan Turner can go back and forth with the half court point forward role and set tons of screens in the perimeter.

Most definitely, but would he? He's got a player option he can take or leave and at least on record seems to be happy with the Wiz.

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 07:48:16 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

Haha great minds...? lol

Most definitely, but would he? He's got a player option he can take or leave and at least on record seems to be happy with the Wiz.

Only one could hope :)

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 07:53:16 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Ray Allen? Never heard of him.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 08:04:05 PM »

Offline NYDan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22

Haha great minds...? lol

Only one could hope :)

He could play next season as a Wizard, "retire," and then sign with the Celtics midseason in 2017 for one last playoff push. Some stars would have to align for that to make sense but it would be pretty special if both parties can find a way to officially end his career in green.

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 08:07:05 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Saw this on twitter. HAHAHAHA

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 08:07:22 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I don't really have a problem with what Pierce says about Ray.  Everyone is different and it's pretty unfair to judge someone based on a few anecdotes.   Ray may be a horrible and difficult person, but he also just may do things differently. Maybe he prioritized time with his wife and children over anything else -- would that make him a jerk?   Maybe he figured that as an NBA player who spends nights, weekends and half the season on the road away from his kids that whatever time is left is sacrosanct -- for family.  Or maybe not, but we don't have enough information to judge.

It might be fair to say that we don't have enough information to fully judge. However, there is a decent amount of details given. It wasn't like Pierce thought Ray should have spent more time with the guys drinking beer or going bowling. He says it was pretty weird that they would have fundraising events and they would show up at his, but he would never come to theirs. It also doesn't sound like he only made a few times, but more like he never made it.

I think it is similar in most people's workplace where he have things that we really should do. I know sometimes when someone is new to the office or leaving we have the occasional event that I definitely don't want to go to, but still go cause it is part of being a good coworker. I still do skip some of the, but if I never went my coworkers might think a bit less of me.

It would be especially weird if I was asking them to come to events for me but never going to theirs.

To be clear this isn't ray drunk driving or breaking any laws, I just respect Paul Pierce, particularly as he entered the later stages of his career. To hear him speak like this carries some weight with me. I can understand if it doesn't for others.

I don't do jack with my co-workers and I like it that way. I hate how some places want you to be all buddy-buddy with your co-workers. It's a business man, if I get fired tomorrow, they won't give a you-know-what.

Judging by how much complaining Ray did about potentially getting traded when he was here, I'll go out on a limb and say he wasnt and shouldnt be on some all knowing high horse about this all being a business

Greg

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 08:55:53 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Considering the fact Ray always complained about why Ainge constantly tried to trade him... It all made sense now... I mean look, your analogy is different, because in basketball, its a team sport. Yes, its business, and just a profession you do at the end of the day, but... In professional sports camaraderie and being close to your teammates is very vital for chemistry, and creating the right environment.

I don't disagree with your point of view, I do actually understand, because I've been subjected to doing fundraisers or events for co-workers I actually despised. But whether or not I liked them, I still did it, not because I was told to do so; but simply put I believed that at least showing some moral support for my co-workers meant more than if I didn't.

As for the Nets, I am very glad Pierce came out and said it.

The one thing I respect the most in the article is what Paul Pierce said.

"I would have stayed in Brooklyn because of Kevin,'' Pierce said. "I told him, 'I don't really like this situation but I would never leave you if you want me to stay.' But they decided not to re-sign me so I never had to make a choice. I would never have left Kevin like that.''

I also like the fact that Pierce called out everyone on the Nets. I, too, believe if Pierce had been younger, it would've been interesting to see how well James would've done.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 09:17:27 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

I agree with all of this (and I bolded that one part because people with OCD or borderline OCD can often confuse others).  People like Ray tend to schedule their entire day and hold to it.  For all we know, his resting/working out instead of going to fundraisers is part of what made him the best shooter of all time.

Ray was also dealing with a very sick child at the time if I'm not mistaken.

Like you say we'll never know if Ray was missing fundraisers because of his family/OCD regarding his game or because he didn't care about his teammates, but I definitely haven't seen enough anectotal evidence throughout his career to lean in the "Ray's just a jerk" direction.

This probably also falls in the giving Ray the benefit of the doubt category, but Ray doesn't eat like a normal human being (in regard to his skipping dinners with KG and PP).  As someone who eats similarly to Ray, I can see why he'd want to go home and eat his own food rather than hoping he finds something that fits his diet on the menu (and who knows how it's prepared).  I can also totally understand how painful it is to go out with other people and watch them eat crap when you can't.  I likewise assume most people know how painful it is to go out and watch other people drink alcohol when you can't.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 09:23:04 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Laughing my butt off.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 09:31:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Laughing my butt off.

Only way to improve that is to put 3 or 4 checks next to Ray.