Author Topic: Good Read from Pierce by Jackie MacMullan  (Read 20961 times)

Good Read from Pierce by Jackie MacMullan
« on: April 14, 2015, 05:43:01 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
Just posted on ESPN:

Lot's of good nuggets in there especially on his time in Brooklyn and relationship with Ray.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12690080/washington-wizards-paul-pierce-speaks-truth

Re: Good Read from Pierce by Jackie MacMullan
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 05:59:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
The stuff on Ray Allen is really interesting and makes him (Ray) sound like kind of a jerk. I wonder why he couldn't return the favor and support his teammates and go to their fundraising events when they came to his. It is one thing to be an introvert, but some of that stuff just sounds on the verge of unprofessionalism. There are people in my office I am varying degrees of friends with but if someone has an event for them getting a big promotion, getting married, having a kid, part of being a good coworker is showing up and being supportive some times. Sounds like Ray didn't do that.

Not a huge deal in the big scheme of things, but as more stuff comes out it definitely doesn't make him sound like the professional and nice guy he was always sold as.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 06:11:32 PM »

Offline NYDan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
I'm liking this reflective, elder statesman version of Pierce. He's an honest guy who's seen a lot over his career and will likely be even more blunt now that he's just about ready to hang it up. His thoughts on Brooklyn are interesting for sure, always felt like something was off about that team that year.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 06:13:23 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
"It's not a bad thing with Ray. We had a great relationship on the court. But even the year we won it, after a game we'd say, 'Let's go have something to eat and have a night with the older guys.' We'd get there and it would be me, Kevin and Sam (Cassell), but no Ray. In a lot of ways, me, Sam and Kevin were our Big Three."

That's so hilarious.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 06:25:23 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
I don't really have a problem with what Pierce says about Ray.  Everyone is different and it's pretty unfair to judge someone based on a few anecdotes.   Ray may be a horrible and difficult person, but he also just may do things differently. Maybe he prioritized time with his wife and children over anything else -- would that make him a jerk?   Maybe he figured that as an NBA player who spends nights, weekends and half the season on the road away from his kids that whatever time is left is sacrosanct -- for family.  Or maybe not, but we don't have enough information to judge.

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 06:37:11 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Pierce is firm: Next season will be his last.

"I've had my time,'' he said.

Did anyone else pick up on this, or is it old news?

Jackie Mac article talking with pierce
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 06:42:03 PM »

Offline Ainge4Prez

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 06:42:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pretty unfiltered.  Which is actually nice to see coming from an athlete this day & age.

He's certainly in "Don't give a bleep" mode.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 06:44:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I don't really have a problem with what Pierce says about Ray.  Everyone is different and it's pretty unfair to judge someone based on a few anecdotes.   Ray may be a horrible and difficult person, but he also just may do things differently. Maybe he prioritized time with his wife and children over anything else -- would that make him a jerk?   Maybe he figured that as an NBA player who spends nights, weekends and half the season on the road away from his kids that whatever time is left is sacrosanct -- for family.  Or maybe not, but we don't have enough information to judge.

It might be fair to say that we don't have enough information to fully judge. However, there is a decent amount of details given. It wasn't like Pierce thought Ray should have spent more time with the guys drinking beer or going bowling. He says it was pretty weird that they would have fundraising events and they would show up at his, but he would never come to theirs. It also doesn't sound like he only made a few times, but more like he never made it.

I think it is similar in most people's workplace where he have things that we really should do. I know sometimes when someone is new to the office or leaving we have the occasional event that I definitely don't want to go to, but still go cause it is part of being a good coworker. I still do skip some of the, but if I never went my coworkers might think a bit less of me.

It would be especially weird if I was asking them to come to events for me but never going to theirs.

To be clear this isn't ray drunk driving or breaking any laws, I just respect Paul Pierce, particularly as he entered the later stages of his career. To hear him speak like this carries some weight with me. I can understand if it doesn't for others.

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 06:51:30 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Pierce is firm: Next season will be his last.

"I've had my time,'' he said.

Did anyone else pick up on this, or is it old news?

He'd be such a good fit on our up & coming team.  Hope we can bring him back.

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 06:57:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I so hope he comes back to Boston for his last hurrah.  Stevens likes having a hard-working vet around or 2.  He has an option with the Wizards for next season, so if he declines that I'm going to be excited.  Especially when you read how happy he is for KG to be back in Minny.

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 06:58:26 PM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
this is really a great article.

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 07:00:50 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
TP for the article, quidinqui33.  Interesting stuff.  I wonder if he puts Jeff Green into the same category as Porter, because it certainly seems that it would be that way.  It is disappointing to hear him say that about Rondo, but I guess that that's just who he is. 

His perspective on Brooklyn is kind of sad to read, although I can't say that I'm surprised at his experience with Deron Williams, lol ;D, and Brook Lopez doesn't even get a mention, ahaha. ;D It's too bad that Brooklyn didn't appreciate nor couldn't even figure out how to properly use KG, which is pretty much what I saw whenever I'd catch the occasional Nets game, and I knew that he didn't want to leave Garnett.  How depressing, as it never should have come to any of this.

Oh yeah, and Ray looks even worse now.  Ugh.

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 07:04:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Paul is definitely pretty self secure at this point out his career.
Yup

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 07:06:58 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
great article
love paul
love jackie

paul at this point in his career can say whatever he wants and its valid, hard to picture him bandaged up at that press conference now  ::)