Author Topic: My final offer that I would do for cousins  (Read 5195 times)

Re: My final offer that I would do for cousins
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2015, 09:00:17 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
cousins is talented but im not interested.  don't want a head case that could potentially be a cancer on the team.

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 09:11:10 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd take cousins and his numbers are cute... They'd actually  mean something if he could lead his teams to wins though

Yes, if only Cousins could will his teammates to play better when he's on the bench, maybe the Kings would get somewhere.  He just needs to refine his alchemy technique of turning scrubs into actual NBA-level players.

Well yeah, hopefully he figures out how to like Hakeem eventually did, still time.

Numbers aside, I doubt we'll ever see another Hakeem, and almost certainly another championship squad like the 1994 Rockets.  His teammates were Otis Thorpe, Vernon Maxwell, Robert Horry, and Kenny Smith, along with Sam Cassell and Mario Elie off the bench.  None of those guys are scrubs, but none of them were stars, either. 

Hakeem is the closest anybody has ever come to winning a championship by himself.  I feel safe saying that DMC will never reach that height, because nobody will.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2015, 09:15:28 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
I'd take cousins and his numbers are cute... They'd actually  mean something if he could lead his teams to wins though

Yes, if only Cousins could will his teammates to play better when he's on the bench, maybe the Kings would get somewhere.  He just needs to refine his alchemy technique of turning scrubs into actual NBA-level players.

Well yeah, hopefully he figures out how to like Hakeem eventually did, still time.

Numbers aside, I doubt we'll ever see another Hakeem, and almost certainly another championship squad like the 1994 Rockets.  His teammates were Otis Thorpe, Vernon Maxwell, Robert Horry, and Kenny Smith, along with Sam Cassell and Mario Elie off the bench.  None of those guys are scrubs, but none of them were stars, either. 

Hakeem is the closest anybody has ever come to winning a championship by himself.  I feel safe saying that DMC will never reach that height, because nobody will.

That was kind of the point, numbers aside he shouldn't be put in the same breath as olajuwon, he's done less with more on both levels then his younger Kentucky brother Anthony Davis, and everything points to and the eye test tells you Davis has the winning and leadership intangibles and cousins does not.

Also I'd say dirks title run is the closest to the 94 rockets...took him years to do it and he heard for years what a loser he was even though he routinely carried scrubs to the playoffs in the west
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:21:46 AM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 09:20:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That was kind of the point, numbers aside he shouldn't be put in the same breath as olajuwon, he's done less with more on both levels then his younger Kentucky brother Anthony Davis, and everything points to and the eye test tells you Davis has the winning and leadership intangibles and cousins does not.

He shouldn't be compared to Hakeem as a player, because Hakeem was one of a kind.  However, to put up similar numbers to Hakeem and Kareem is impressive in its own right.  Similarly, I don't think there's any shame in not being as good as Anthony Davis, who is a once in a generation talent.

I do disagree with the "more with less" argument, though.  The Kings roster absolutely sucks; I'm not somebody who sees Rudy Gay as a difference maker, and I think that fans in Memphis and Toronto would back me up on that.  I don't think there's a single player in the league today who could have made the Kings into a playoff team.  Cousins, in maintaining a positive point-differential, did about as well as you could ask of him.

Again, though, nobody is arguing that Cousins is a top-5 big man of all-time.  Instead, he's simply the best center in the game today, and that's a player that I'd love to acquire.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2015, 09:37:02 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
It's also worth noting that Cousins is a big. It takes good guards to win now, folks. Great bigs put teams over the top. It's like Barkley said about Blake Griffin at the height of his fame: bigs, at the end of the day, need someone to get them the ball. It's tough to have a big man as your only defender/rebounder/post threat/shot-maker and win, no matter how good they are.

Hakeem did it before the hand-check rule, when guard penetration was not a viable threat.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:51:16 AM by GetLucky »