Author Topic: Historically Free Agency is not the way to build a champion  (Read 5025 times)

Re: Historically Free Agency is not the way to build a champion
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 03:14:41 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think Free Agency is of growing importance. Superstar players move more often nowadays. Contracts are shorter so players available in free agency more often. Larger pools of talent in average free agent class than say 10 years ago.

I think it is a mistake to base too much on the past given the changes in recent years.

I think we will continue to see free agency grow in importance in terms of team building.
It may, it may not.  You can still make a heck of a lot more money signing with the team you are on than leaving and going to another team. 

And the last 8 teams in the playoffs this year really only had 3 major free agent acquisitions on the 8 teams combined, James, Howard, and Milsap (maybe you count Pierce, but he is past his prime and probably not a top 2 player on that team). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 03:25:10 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
I'm so confused. Tanking isn't the answer according to the OP of the thread that's now been locked. This thread makes a good case (thus far) about free agency not being the answer either. So what is a GM supposed to do? How do you take a team like the Cs from what we are now to a contender?
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 03:32:36 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
That's  true.  There are certainly exceptions (Lebron to Miami; Lebron to Cleveland; Shaq to LA), but in general, you build contenders by putting together a strong foundation through the draft and supplementing with smart trades and, to a lesser extent, free agent signings.  Generally, you need to spend smartly, not lavishly, in free agency.

Those exceptions are big exceptions.   5 championships out of the last 16 with the likelihood of a couple more on the way.   So since 2000, about 30% of all championships were directly due to free agent signings. 

Really only the Lakers should ever count on this as a primary strategy.  They will always be able to add big names via FA without much trouble.    Other franchises shouldn't put all their eggs in that basket.

Of course, it seems that the Lakers also always get unnecessary big help from good drafting or lucky ping-pong balls (knew they'd get in the top 3 this year). 

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 03:34:57 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm so confused. Tanking isn't the answer according to the OP of the thread that's now been locked. This thread makes a good case (thus far) about free agency not being the answer either. So what is a GM supposed to do? How do you take a team like the Cs from what we are now to a contender?

In the Celtics particular situation, its too late to tank and blowing it up isn't really realistic.

Celtics are in a position to continue a slow rebuild.  We just went thru year 2 of it.  Basically, don't overpay third tier talent in free agency and, in the meantime, continue to take on assets in the forms of draft picks and more cap friendly deals (i.e. youth & shorter term deals).  Try & work your magic with these assets via the trade market when the right opportunity is there to strike.  Keep your cap flexibility and also try to address needs in free agency.   

Tanking isn't the magic potion but free agency really isn't either.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 03:45:02 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides

In the Celtics particular situation, its too late to tank and blowing it up isn't really realistic.

Celtics are in a position to continue a slow rebuild.  We just went thru year 2 of it.  Basically, don't overpay third tier talent in free agency and, in the meantime, continue to take on assets in the forms of draft picks and more cap friendly deals (i.e. youth & shorter term deals).  Try & work your magic with these assets via the trade market when the right opportunity is there to strike.  Keep your cap flexibility and also try to address needs in free agency.   

But don't you have to tank/suck..whatever you want to call it, to gather those assets? Nobody is going to give us a first rounder for someone like Brandon Bass (example).

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 03:45:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

But don't you have to tank/suck..whatever you want to call it, to gather those assets? Nobody is going to give us a first rounder for someone like Brandon Bass (example).

We already did much of that part with the Pierce/KG trade.

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 03:47:06 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

Thus we are back to the old argument here. Gather assets and win through the draft or gather assets and win through free agents and trades. Kinda need both, not just one.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 03:49:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 03:49:41 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides

Thus we are back to the old argument here. Gather assets and win through the draft or gather assets and win through free agents and trades. Kinda need both, not just one.

True.

And that's why I think neither side is right (tank vs non-tank). You need to a little bit of this and a little bit of that. ;)

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 03:51:31 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

I think this just justifies being mediocre. We have some good prospects but this draft was suppose to get us a center...obv we didn't. Its time to realize that we have no stars and its time to trade our better vet players for picks/prospects. We should be in good lottery position the next 3 years and then we will have the assets to trade or develop.

This is just my opinion, but I want championship sooner rather than later. The Lakers could win 1 more and be tied with us......no one wants that.

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 03:52:55 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.
;D

This is a little more legitimate than the usual fallacy, though, because the NBA's CBAs have always been influenced by the free agency/talent acquisition moves made under the prior agreement, and we're about to hit another lockout/strike.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 03:56:49 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think this just justifies being mediocre. We have some good prospects but this draft was suppose to get us a center...obv we didn't. Its time to realize that we have no stars and its time to trade our better vet players for picks/prospects. We should be in good lottery position the next 3 years and then we will have the assets to trade or develop.

This is just my opinion, but I want championship sooner rather than later. The Lakers could win 1 more and be tied with us......no one wants that.

There was a loud crowd on these boards that was clamoring for that but was that really the case in the organization, though?  Heck, you have reports of the Celtics wanting to trade up...but for a wing.   A group of people (mostly the WCS crowd) were screaming to draft to fill a need.  Not sure that's really a philosophy that Danny shares when it comes to drafting.

Personally, I think they have plenty of picks the next few years so not sure they really need to see off guys for more picks.   In anything, they need to consolidate a bit which seems to be what Danny was trying to do on draft night but couldn't pull off.

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 03:57:06 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
That's  true.  There are certainly exceptions (Lebron to Miami; Lebron to Cleveland; Shaq to LA), but in general, you build contenders by putting together a strong foundation through the draft and supplementing with smart trades and, to a lesser extent, free agent signings.  Generally, you need to spend smartly, not lavishly, in free agency.

Those exceptions are big exceptions.   5 championships out of the last 16 with the likelihood of a couple more on the way.   So since 2000, about 30% of all championships were directly due to free agent signings. 

Really only the Lakers should ever count on this as a primary strategy.  They will always be able to add big names via FA without much trouble.    Other franchises shouldn't put all their eggs in that basket.

Of course, it seems that the Lakers also always get unnecessary big help from good drafting or lucky ping-pong balls (knew they'd get in the top 3 this year).
It is still just 2 players though.  They just happened to be the best player in the game at the time (or soon after in the case of Shaq) the acquisition via free agency.  They are also the only 2 players to be a top 2 player on a championship team in the entire history of the NBA to be acquired via free agency (unless you count Billups, which I do not as I think he was the 4th best player on that team, NBA Finals MVP aside - you know like Iggy this year).   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 04:25:32 PM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
So, let me get this straight:

1. When we don't have a high draft pick you don't win in the NBA by tanking, the draft is a crapshoot.

2. When we have cap space but all-star free agents won't sign with us you don't win in the NBA by signing free agents.

3. When teams won't trade with us you don't win by trading away all your picks!

How do we win exactly?

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 04:37:13 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
So, let me get this straight:

1. When we don't have a high draft pick you don't win in the NBA by tanking, the draft is a crapshoot.

2. When we have cap space but all-star free agents won't sign with us you don't win in the NBA by signing free agents.

3. When teams won't trade with us you don't win by trading away all your picks!

How do we win exactly?

Magic ;D