Author Topic: 2015 Boston Red Sox  (Read 38201 times)

Re: 2015 Boston Red Sox
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2015, 09:53:56 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
That was the most embarrassing double-header I can remember, for sure.

You know what I'm most tired of, though?  Hearing, "Well this has got to be rock bottom," or some variation thereon, every time a horrible, no good, very bad day happens for the Sox.

This season is rock bottom.  Or wait, was it the Bobby Valentine season?  Or was it the season before that?  Or wasn't last year supposed to be rock bottom?

Too much of Cherington's tenure has been "rock bottom."  Bottom of the division, bottom of our expectations, bottom of viewer ratings because people tune out before we even hit the All-Star break.

I'm glad he signed Victorino, Napoli, and Gomes and those guys helped the team that was already in place win a World Series while riding the emotional high of not being managed by Bobby Valentine anymore and representing BOSTON STRONG.  That was really cool.

The rest has been a dumpster fire. 

Let's clean house.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2015, 10:44:17 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
That is so true.

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2015, 11:27:34 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
That was the most embarrassing double-header I can remember, for sure.

You know what I'm most tired of, though?  Hearing, "Well this has got to be rock bottom," or some variation thereon, every time a horrible, no good, very bad day happens for the Sox.

This season is rock bottom.  Or wait, was it the Bobby Valentine season?  Or was it the season before that?  Or wasn't last year supposed to be rock bottom?

Too much of Cherington's tenure has been "rock bottom."  Bottom of the division, bottom of our expectations, bottom of viewer ratings because people tune out before we even hit the All-Star break.

I'm glad he signed Victorino, Napoli, and Gomes and those guys helped the team that was already in place win a World Series while riding the emotional high of not being managed by Bobby Valentine anymore and representing BOSTON STRONG.  That was really cool.

The rest has been a dumpster fire. 

Let's clean house.

That all is true, but some of those same things were said about Theo Epstein in 2004 where much of the core of the team was actually obtained by Dan Duquette and supplemented with saavy vet pickups (Millar, Mueller, etc.) much in the same way Cherrington added guys like Victorino and Napoli to a team that Theo helped to construct. And Theo won another in 2007 and was responsible for a lot of the talent on the 2013 team.

I'm not disagreeing with you so much as saying that it just might not be that simple. Cherrington is doing a nice job with young talent and some of that may start to explode next year. Furthermore, I expect guys like Porcello and Panda to at least be better next year even if they never live up to their contracts.

Again, I'm not suggesting another World Series, but crazier things have happened.

The larger question is who is responsible for some of these terrible free agent signings on the major league level, Cherrington or pressure from ownership? If it's the latter, firing Cherrington won't solve that.

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2015, 12:27:03 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
All i can say is, i told you some folks we should of kept cespedes.

Porcello is a dud.

Cherington should be fired.

Yes you overpay and beat the nationals for Scherzer. You trade for Hamels

There was no need to sign ramirez or another dud (panda)

Extend cespedes. Bring back Gomes. Give ft mins to Rustny . outfield situation was a mess for no reason.

Fire cherington

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2015, 12:59:21 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Whatever happened to the guy who got caught liking photos of girls on instagram in the dugout during a game?  That dude is hilarious ;D.

« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2015, 01:56:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Hopefully Farrell will get treatment and get past his health issues. 

Redsox have destroyed the Mariners the last 2 games. Jackie Bradley jr. looks like a monster player these days.  7 RBIs the last game.

I like the lineup and potential of

Betts RF
Holt 2B
Boegarts SS
Ortiz DH
Ramirez 1B
Sandoval 3B
Castillo  LF
Swihart/Hannigan C
Bradley Jr.  CF

Rodriguez
Wright
Owens
Bucholz
Miley

trade Porcello

« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2015, 03:22:17 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'm not sure that firing Cherington is the right decision.  Their big moves over the past year have been disasters, but I don't know how much of that falls on the ownership and Lucchino vs. Cherington.  I suspect Cherington is the least to blame for those.  Sandoval seems like more of a
Lucchino/Warner move and Henry is the one who is so strongly against giving large contracts to pitchers over 30.  Cherington has done a fantastic job building up the farm system which is ranked number one by multiple sources and that does not take into account the young guys who have recently made it to the majors.

They are going to have to find out if HRam can play first.  Otherwise, I don't know what they are going to do with him until Ortiz retires.  I still can't believe a long time SS can't play left field.  An outfield of Betts, Bradley, and Castillo could be exciting. 

As far as the rotation, they are going to need to open the vault for a free agent pitcher like Price or Cueto which is something Henry has been adverse to.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:42:44 AM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2015, 06:03:06 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375

Redsox have destroyed the Mariners the last 2 games. Jackie Bradley jr. looks like a monster player these days.  7 RBIs the last game.

Betts RF
Holt 2B
Boegarts SS
Ortiz DH
Ramirez 1B
Sandoval 3B
Castillo  LF
Swihart/Hannigan C
Bradley Jr.  CF

Rodriguez
Wright
Owens
Bucholz
Miley

trade Porcello

Um ... no Pedroia?

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2015, 11:09:12 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Betts RF
Holt 2B
Boegarts SS
Ortiz DH
Ramirez 1B
Sandoval 3B
Castillo  LF
Swihart/Hannigan C
Bradley Jr.  CF

Rodriguez
Wright