Author Topic: 2015 Boston Red Sox  (Read 38210 times)

Re: 2015 Boston Red Sox
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 07:45:18 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Suck

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2015, 08:15:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Red Sox Stats ?@redsoxstats  May 27
The 3 worst Red Sox team OBP seasons from 1960-2015: 2015, 2012, 2014. In 2013 they won the World Series. The Cherington Era.

I'll take it, even if it does look more and more like luck.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2015, 08:28:02 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The 3 worst Red Sox team OBP seasons from 1960-2015: 2015, 2012, 2014. In 2013 they won the World Series. The Cherington Era.

Yeah, it's like those Marlins teams in '97 and '03 that won the World Series, but were pretty horrible otherwise. I would much rather suck most of the time and win the World Series every few years than whatever happened from 1918-2003. Ask Cubs fans how the feel about this.

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2015, 10:39:57 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
but the question is, is it really an either/or situation? why arent the sox capable of both fielding a credible team AND winning a championship once in a while. or at least contending and being in the playoffs frequently?

theo managed it. but cherington's approach is troubling in terms of its results, to say the least.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2015, 01:54:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Can someone explain to me why Brock Holt, who leads the team in OBP, hits both LHP and RHP, and was a pretty successful leadoff man last year isn't your leadoff hitter right now? You just absolutely have to have Betts and his .250/.305 in there (and in the 2-hole to boot), don't you?

So infuriating.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2015, 02:28:07 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Yup. I'll take it too!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2015, 02:30:16 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Can someone explain to me why Brock Holt, who leads the team in OBP, hits both LHP and RHP, and was a pretty successful leadoff man last year isn't your leadoff hitter right now? You just absolutely have to have Betts and his .250/.305 in there (and in the 2-hole to boot), don't you?

So infuriating.

This is a good point, one I hadn't considered. My only guess right now is that Farrell doesn't want to do anything that might hurt the confidence of Betts, whom the team considers a future star, whereas Holt has been pegged (for better or worse) as a super-utility player.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2015, 02:30:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
it looks like the sox may have stumbled on to a pitcher. This guy rodriguez guy has been lights out since he came up (granted only 1.5 starts right now). However, he now has 13 strikeouts in 12 innings pitched to start his career.

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2015, 02:36:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
it looks like the sox may have stumbled on to a pitcher. This guy rodriguez guy has been lights out since he came up (granted only 1.5 starts right now). However, he now has 13 strikeouts in 12 innings pitched to start his career.

yeah EROD.  electric stuff. hides the ball so well. Compact "snap" delivery. 

Redsox need to make a trade to get one more pitcher.   Kelly needs to go to the bullpen.  Miley is good as the 5th guy.  Porcello is like a 3rd, 4th guy. Can't believe we overpaid for him. Bucholz is inconsistent. I think he might get injured at any point

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2015, 02:42:09 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Redsox need to make a trade to get one more pitcher.   Kelly needs to go to the bullpen.  Miley is good as the 5th guy.  Porcello is like a 3rd, 4th guy. Can't believe we overpaid for him. Bucholz is inconsistent. I think he might get injured at any point
Buchholz is inconsistent indeed, but I was checking his game log and was surprised to see how solid he's been last month. Somehow it feels like he's a disaster waiting to happen every game, but ever since the second game of the season when he gave up 10 runs in 3 innings, he's been going 7+ pretty consistently, and most starts have been quality.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2015, 02:56:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah, I'll take it, but to me it's still means something to put a team on the field that can play quality, entertaining, competitive baseball pretty much every year.

Putting a terrible team out there most every year and occasionally having a really great year doesn't do it for me.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2015, 03:55:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Buchholz is inconsistent indeed, but I was checking his game log and was surprised to see how solid he's been last month. Somehow it feels like he's a disaster waiting to happen every game, but ever since the second game of the season when he gave up 10 runs in 3 innings, he's been going 7+ pretty consistently, and most starts have been quality.

at any point even as we speak he  could get injured.  Bucholz has a bad body for sports. Talented but lacks a strong body, stamina

Redsox have a log jam outside of pitching and should make a trade sooner than later

Victorino , Napoli could be traded (bad contracts but still). You can add prospects for say Hamels.  Ramirez is a bad outfielder and should be moved to 1st base. 

Lineup after a trade

2B Pedroia
C  Betts
1b Ramirez
DH Ortiz
3B Sandoval
RF Castillo
SS Boegarts
LF  Bradley jr/Craig/Holt
C  Swihart/Leon

P - Hamels
P - Erod
P - Porcello
P-  Bucholz
P-  Miley

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2015, 04:23:13 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Buchholz always scares me, but he's been quite impressive his last 4 starts in particular—30 2/3 innings, allowed only 5 earned runs, had 27 Ks, and lowered his ERA from 5.73 to 3.82. Only problem is the Sox scored exactly 1 run in each of those 4 starts, so before last night's narrow win he had a 1-run loss, a 2-run loss, and a 1-run no decision. In fact, the Sox have scored just 1 run in 7 or his 11 starts this season.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2015, 05:24:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

at any point even as we speak he  could get injured.  Bucholz has a bad body for sports. Talented but lacks a strong body, stamina

Redsox have a log jam outside of pitching and should make a trade sooner than later

Victorino , Napoli could be traded (bad contracts but still). You can add prospects for say Hamels.  Ramirez is a bad outfielder and should be moved to 1st base. 

Lineup after a trade

2B Pedroia
C  Betts
1b Ramirez
DH Ortiz
3B Sandoval
RF Castillo
SS Boegarts
LF  Bradley jr/Craig/Holt
C  Swihart/Leon

P - Hamels
P - Erod
P - Porcello
P-  Bucholz
P-  Miley

I do think we need someone like Hamels, but I am not sure we don't also need a bad. I don't think an outfield of Bradley/Holt Betts and Castillo can be considered because all three are probably below average batters right now and they would probably hit a combined 15 homeruns over the course of a season. That is just not enough. You throw in the fact that we have very below average hitting coming from catching and we would need to be in the national league for that kind of lineup to work imo. 

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2015, 09:22:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce