Author Topic: Cavaliers (51-28) at Boston Celtics (37-42) Game #80 4/12/15  (Read 28966 times)

Cavaliers (51-28) at Boston Celtics (37-42) Game #80 4/12/15
« on: April 11, 2015, 10:30:48 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Cleveland Cavaliers (51-28) at Boston Celtics (37-42)
Sunday, April 12, 2015
3:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #80, Home Game #40
TV: CSN-NE, FSOhio, NBA-LP 753(DTV)/752, 754(xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, WTAM 1100
TD Garden

Probable Starters

PG: Marcus Smart................... SG: Avery Bradley

SF: Evan Turner........... PF:  Brandon Bass......... C:  Tyler Zeller   

Celtics Reserves

Gerald Wallace
Jae Crowder
Phil Pressey
Jared Sullinger
Kelly Olynyk
Isaiah Thomas
Jonas Jerebko
Gigi Datome

Red Claws
James Young
Chris Babb

Head Coach

Brad Stevens

Possible Starters

PG:  Matthew Dellavedova................ SG:  J.R.Smith

SF: LeBron James................. PF: Kevin Love ............... C:  Timofey Mozgov

Cavs Reserves
Mike Miller
Tristan Thompson
Joe Harris
Matthew Dellavedova
Iman Shumpert
James Jones
Brendan Haywood
Shawn Marion
Kendrick Perkins

Injuries
Anderson Varejao (Achilles)  out
Kyrie Irving (hip) questionable
Iman Shumpert (quad) questionable
Everyone else (rest) to be determined

Head Coach
David Blatt

Game Notes
The Celtics host the Cleveland Cavaliers to complete a home and home set as they continue to make a push for the playoffs.   On Friday, the Celtics won the first half of the home and home set 99-90.   Kyrie Irving sat that game out with a sore hip and is questionable for this game.  LeBron James and Kevin Love played for 3 quarters of that game but sat out the fourth.

Who plays in this game is anyone's guess at this point.  After Friday's game, LeBron hinted that he would probably sit this game out but he said the same before that game as well.  Kevin Love has struggled with back problems and they may want to get him a rest in this one.  If Kyrie Irving really does have a sore hip, they will probably want to keep him out of this game.  I've listed the regular starters minus Kyrie Irving, but chances are the starters will be completely different. 

The Celtics won their 6th straight road game on Friday in Cleveland, ending the Cavs' 18 game home win streak.  The Celtics haven't been as successful at home, however, having lost 4 of their last 5 games at the Garden.  The Celtics are 19-20 at home while the Cavs are 22-18 on the road.  The Cavs are 8-2 in their last 10 games while the Celtics are 7-3 in their last 10.

The Celtics remain in the 7th spot, 2 games behind the Bucks, who are holding down the 6th seed.  The Nets are tied with the Celtics but are the 8th seed because the Celtics hold the tie breaker.  The Pacers are 1 game back of the Celtics, with the Celtics holding the tie breaker over them as well.  The Heat lost to the Raptors on Saturday and are now 2.5 games behind the Celtics. 

Games to watch:  Brooklyn at Milwaukee and OKC at Indiana.   The Thunder are currently 9th in the West, in a tie with the Pelicans, who are the 8th seed by virtue of owning the tie breaker between them.  They will be fighting hard for a win in this game.  It would be nice if Milwaukee would beat the Nets and clinch the 6th seed so they would be more likely to rest their starters when they play the Celtics on the last day of the season. 

Key Matchups

vs
Avery Bradley vs JR Smith
Smith seems the most likely starter not to sit out this game.  He sat most of Friday's game and played poorly when he was in.  He will probably look to have a big game in this one to make up for it.  Avery needs to especially keep him from having a big night beyond the arc. 

vs
Marcus Smart vs Matthew Dellavedova
Smart had a big game on Friday and the Celtics will need him to be aggressive on both ends of the court whether Dellavedova or Irving start opposite him for the Cavs.

Keys to the Game

Defense Defense Defense!! Defense is key to winning every game.  The Celtics need to continue to play tough defense. The Cavs have won 26 of their last 27 games when they reach 100 points.   The Celtics are 7-34 when they allow their opponents to reach 100 points.  It will be very important for the Celtics to play tough defense and keep the Cavs below 100 points

Rebound - The Celtics can't score if they don't have the ball. They must crash the boards as a team to prevent the Cavs from getting second chance and fast break points. They also need to rebound to give themselves extra possessions and to fuel their running game.

Run, Run, Run - The Celtics need to run on every possession in order to get some easy points before the Cavs defense sets up.  When the Celtics walk the ball up and slow the game down they struggle.  They have to run and they have to move the ball.  No hero ball.   

Be Aggressive  -  The Celtics must be the more aggressive team.  They have to beat the Cavs to every loose ball and win the 50/50 balla.  They have to be aggressive on the boards and in driving into the paint and to the basket.  They have to be the team that works harder.   

Play 48 Minutes - The Celtics have to play hard from the opening tip to the final buzzer.   They can't afford to let the Cavs get a big lead because the Cavs are a very good defensive team and it won't be easy to dig out of a hole against them.  They also can't let the Cavs back in it if they can manage to build a lead.

Play Hard No Matter Who is Playing - Sometimes when a team is missing key players it seems as though the Celtics underestimate them and don't play quite as hard.  There is a good chance that at least one and maybe more of the Cavs' stars will sit this one out.  The Celtics have to give 100% effort no matter who is playing for the Cavaliers because even with one or two of their stars sitting, they still are a tough team to beat. 

Play Like They are On the Road
- The Celtics just won their 6th straight road game.  However, they have dropped 4 of their last 5 at home.  The Celtics need to keep their mindset of us against the world when they play at home and get this win at home.

X-Factors
Who's Playing and Effort
A lot will depend on who the Cavs play in this game and who they sit.  Sitting LeBron and Irving will definitely make it easier for the Celtics.   But even if the Cavs sit some of their starters, the Celtics still need to bring their best effort.  Too often when their opponent is short handed they come out playing with half effort. 

Re: Cavaliers (51-28) at Boston Celtics (37-42) Game #80 4/12/15
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 10:37:06 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Will the Cavs call off the dogs again? Good insight into the other playoff implication games' dynamics...Tp FLCelts...great job as usual.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 10:43:30 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Thanks csfansince60s!!  And a TP for being the first to post in the game thread.  Go Celtics!   

PS:  Woohoo!  I got my third star with this post! 

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 12:23:41 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Congrats FLC on star number three!  ;D and thanks for the thread. One more tp is yours to enjoy. You should get 3,000 of those soon too.

Goooooo celtics!!!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 02:45:19 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
I expect a playoff atmosphere in the garden with the C's in the verge of securing a playoff spot.

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 04:02:01 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
If we lose this game and the Nets win tomorrow does that put us back in the 8th spot?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 04:02:36 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Thanks csfansince60s!!  And a TP for being the first to post in the game thread.  Go Celtics!   

Congrats FL, well deserved. Have a TP!
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 06:53:14 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
a first round preview baby!!!!
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 07:12:26 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Congrats FL, well deserved. Have a TP!

j804,

How does it feel giving the assist for FCF'S third start post? ;D

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 08:11:04 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
WE FIGHT ! 

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 01:35:09 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 01:45:01 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Kyrie, Lebron, Love, and JR. are sitting out tonight

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 01:49:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
They REALLY want Boston in Round 1.  The league didn't allow them to forfeit?   I heard they asked the league for permission to have a "fan appreciation day" where 5 lucky fans got to suit up and play for the team ;) 

Hopefully our guys don't blow this.  Trap game. 

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 02:04:21 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

I worry more with them all sitting.  I really hope the Celtics don't see this as a gimme and not bring the effort needed to win. 

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 02:06:30 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
i still look at our score and find it hard to believe...at the start of the season i would predict 33 wins
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger