Author Topic: The man the celtics need to get in free agency  (Read 8707 times)

Re: The man the celtics need to get in free agency
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 02:45:46 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Green was the 5th pick in the second round of his draft.  I'm not saying this as an indictment of his value to his team, but simply to point out that tweeners with NBA skills regularly fall into the late first round/early second round.     

I think paying Green more than 10 million a season when we're loaded with picks in both rounds of the draft for the next few years would be a big mistake.  College basketball is full of guys who will be tweeners at the NBA level and won't be lottery picks but have NBA skills.   

I love glue guys, and defensive guys, and guys who can play multiple positions, but I don't think you EVER want to give anything approaching a max deal to any guy who doesn't play both offense and defense at a high level.
Especially when they only have one season of success on their resume.

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 04:35:54 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
As DA said, there is once in a while someone available that can change the face of a franchise. And he wants to be sure he has assets when this time comes. Meanwhile he's trying to add value in term of bargaining chips (draft picks), productive players and cap space.
To me, this year has been better than expected for him, as he add another value to this team, Brad Stevens. Now the entire nba talks about him and start to mention him as COY.
Top players who see and understand Celtics winning culture and history and in the mean time are not comfortable with their situation might suddenly give a thought to become a Celtics.
Who knows, maybe KD will be available next year. Even though it's highly unexpected. But KG didn't expect to leave Minnesota either...

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 05:00:38 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
As DA said, there is once in a while someone available that can change the face of a franchise. And he wants to be sure he has assets when this time comes. Meanwhile he's trying to add value in term of bargaining chips (draft picks), productive players and cap space.
To me, this year has been better than expected for him, as he add another value to this team, Brad Stevens. Now the entire nba talks about him and start to mention him as COY.
Top players who see and understand Celtics winning culture and history and in the mean time are not comfortable with their situation might suddenly give a thought to become a Celtics.
Who knows, maybe KD will be available next year. Even though it's highly unexpected. But KG didn't expect to leave Minnesota either...
D Jordan comes to mind if the Clips crash and burn this year. He is the player we need. Crowder is a poor man's Green.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 05:14:13 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
At the very least we need to find a rim protector this summer. Even if it's someone less notable like biyombo.  You put a competent rim protector on this team with Bradley and Smart, at the very least you can try to be an elite defensive team.

I'd be on board with adding Biyombo if the team doesn't draft a center (or drafts a total project).  Combine Zeller and Biyombo for 48 minutes of play at the center position and I think you'd get some pretty nice production.  An interesting offense / defense pairing.

For the right price, of course.  Ideally not much more than 5 or 6 a year, though if he develops with a larger role he could end up being worth twice that, even as a backup.

OK, so are you saying that you think about $10 million a year is the limit that Danny will spend on a free agent this off-season?

I'd be surprised if he gave out a contract that large unless it's an All Star caliber talent taking a below market deal for some reason. 

I don't think any All Star caliber guys are signing here this summer and spending big on established role players looking for their big pay day doesn't make sense at this point.

I guess we can only hope.

I do agree that it doesn't make much sense to sign glorified role players to substantial contracts. The good news is, though, that there will most likely be more players out there willing to sign one year contracts due to the salary increase in 2016.

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 05:25:16 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
D Jordan comes to mind if the Clips crash and burn this year. He is the player we need. Crowder is a poor man's Green.

I'd prefer WCS, but I'm all for getting Jordan this summer. He could probably be an All-Star in the East next year.

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2015, 05:40:29 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
The best player the Celtics could get in free agency is Anthony Davis, when he becomes a free agent. Thats my dream and it helps me to sleep at night imagining that. I tell myself that Marcus Smart and James Young become impact players and that we also add a center and sf. In my dream AD wants to play for a team that has everything in place except a pf and AD gets sold on CBS.

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 06:17:30 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
KG demanded a trade....

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2015, 06:21:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
KG demanded a trade....

It's a little unclear about how this whole thing went down (and you can never know the heart of another person, etc.) but the typical line of events was that KG wanted to play for a winning team but couldn't bear himself to ask out of Minny, the Minny team fell apart, KG was spinning his wheels and Taylor, the owner, decided to see if Garnett would rather go somewhere else (and rebuild the team at the same time). IIRC, of course.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2015, 06:24:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
KG demanded a trade....

He certainly didn't demand a trade to Boston.  In fact, he quashed the initial deal before the draft with his no-trade clause, and had to be sold on it pretty hard in July, but the arrival of Ray made Boston look little more attractive.