Author Topic: The man the celtics need to get in free agency  (Read 8694 times)

Re: The man the celtics need to get in free agency
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 08:53:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
There's no one player in free agency that the Celtics will have a shot at getting this summer who will be the answer to be team's lacks.

Most likely, Ainge will look to make a couple of less-heralded buy-low sort of signings.  Continue asset-acquisition.

He won't commit any large amount until the Celtics have a high impact player or two already in place.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 06:58:21 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
There's no one player in free agency that the Celtics will have a shot at getting this summer who will be the answer to be team's lacks.

Most likely, Ainge will look to make a couple of less-heralded buy-low sort of signings.  Continue asset-acquisition.

He won't commit any large amount until the Celtics have a high impact player or two already in place.

I don't see how he's going to get a high impact player without paying him large amounts of money. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 07:10:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I don't see how he's going to get a high impact player without paying him large amounts of money.

Draft / trade.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 07:26:55 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Makes no sense to get Draymond green
Also I think if u offered a near max u might be overpaying for him as he just had a breakout season

No free agent is worth getting that will turn our team into a contender

Ainge elects to draft and trade to get assets

The rebuild continues, the tank for Simmons/brown begins

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 07:47:07 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
The rebuild continues, the tank for Simmons/brown begins

If you still don't understand that we won't tank, go to libertyballers.com.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 09:32:16 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Draft / trade.

So, you think we'll be able to make a trade for what you call a high impact player who is getting paid short money?  I don't think that's likely.  Who's going to part with a star player on their rookie salary?

Anthony Davis probably isn't on the market.

Generally speaking, young players don't become impact players until at least five years or so in the league.  We already know that most Celtics fans don't have patience for that. 

Good luck with us getting those high impact players on cheap contracts. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 09:38:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Draft / trade.

So, you think we'll be able to make a trade for what you call a high impact player who is getting paid short money?  I don't think that's likely.  Who's going to part with a star player on their rookie salary?

Generally speaking, young players don't become impact players until at least five years or so in the league.  We already know that most Celtics fans don't have patience for that. 

I think Ainge will look first and foremost to get really productive players who are bargains -- that doesn't necessarily mean rookie deals.  Isaiah Thomas is an example, but obviously not quite a cornerstone guy.

What the Hawks paid for Millsap is a good example, though.

Anyway, my point was that we shouldn't expect the Celts to give out any major contracts in free agency before high impact guys have already been acquired.  I didn't say that they would only trade for guys on cheap deals.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 10:09:37 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Draft / trade.

I think Ainge will look first and foremost to get really productive players who are bargains -- that doesn't necessarily mean rookie deals.  Isaiah Thomas is an example, but obviously not quite a cornerstone guy.

What the Hawks paid for Millsap is a good example, though.

Anyway, my point was that we shouldn't expect the Celts to give out any major contracts in free agency before high impact guys have already been acquired.  I didn't say that they would only trade for guys on cheap deals.

OK, so are you saying that you think about $10 million a year is the limit that Danny will spend on a free agent this off-season?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 10:56:06 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
He is a 25 year old sf. He is currently in the lead for defensive player of the year. He averages
PPG   APG   RPG   PER
11.8   3.7   8.2   16.45

He is about to hit UFA. His name is Draymond green. This guy looks like a smaller version of kg in the fact that he just has to win. He has incredible drive. Just see for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2pL77EBH3w

As an undersized power forward listed at 6-7, 230 pounds, Green doesn't look like the traditional Defensive Player of the Year. Perhaps he's the new archetype for the modern game. Green is athletic enough to capably defend guards after one of the Warriors' frequent switches, but also powerful enough to defend the post. Bigger opponents think they have an edge on him, but they average just .75 points per post-up according to Synergy Sports, 14th best in the league (minimum 100 post-ups). Green's even an effective rim protector, supplying blocks and steals (he's one of seven players in the league with a steal rate better than 2.0 percent and a block rate better than 3.0 percent, with a minimum of 1,000 minutes played). And he's been durable, starting 75 games and logging 30-plus minutes a night. As a result, Green leads the NBA in defensive wins above replacement, derived from RPM, and his edge over Leonard is larger than the gap between Leonard and the player in 11th place:

Defensive WARP Leaders
PLAYER   TEAM   DRPM   DWARP
Draymond Green   GSW   4.9   1.7
Kawhi Leonard   SAS   5.2   1.4
DeMarcus Cousins   SAC   4.6   1.4
Khris Middleton   MIL   4.0   1.4

I want him to be our new starting sf and I think we have the money to pay him so.. Go danny
WOuld you want singe to go after draymond or no comment below

Just a great fit for our starting Small Forward option. Crowder comes off the bench.

That would be one sweet addition. Top 5 team in the East.

Btw, Ainge has the cash to make this move.

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 11:46:00 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Say what ?

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2015, 11:55:33 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I tend to agree with the others here.

Sadly, defensive minded hustle guys (with average offensive game) is something have plenty off right now.  Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder, Brandon Bass.   I don't feel a guy like Green would add much to this team. 

In fact, with so many of our guys being that type of player, I really feel we need an offensive oriented guy at the SF spot.

I do think Green would be an outstanding fit in a team like Sacramento or Detroit though - those teams could really use somebody with his mentality and skill set.

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 12:12:35 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
At the very least we need to find a rim protector this summer. Even if it's someone less notable like biyombo.  You put a competent rim protector on this team with Bradley and Smart, at the very least you can try to be an elite defensive team.

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 01:26:01 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
At the very least we need to find a rim protector this summer. Even if it's someone less notable like biyombo.  You put a competent rim protector on this team with Bradley and Smart, at the very least you can try to be an elite defensive team.

Yeah, I'll second that.

We don't necessarily need a star or a starting caliber rim protector - but we do need a guy who has that skill set.  We need that guy so that when we're playing a team that's killing us with drives and points in the paint, we can slip that guy in and disrupt their offensive game plan.

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 01:50:17 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Say what ?

There are no quick fixes for big bucks out there.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 01:52:25 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I'd be on board with adding Biyombo if the team doesn't draft a center (or drafts a total project).  Combine Zeller and Biyombo for 48 minutes of play at the center position and I think you'd get some pretty nice production.  An interesting offense / defense pairing.

For the right price, of course.  Ideally not much more than 5 or 6 a year, though if he develops with a larger role he could end up being worth twice that, even as a backup.

OK, so are you saying that you think about $10 million a year is the limit that Danny will spend on a free agent this off-season?

I'd be surprised if he gave out a contract that large unless it's an All Star caliber talent taking a below market deal for some reason. 

I don't think any All Star caliber guys are signing here this summer and spending big on established role players looking for their big pay day doesn't make sense at this point.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:58:35 AM by PhoSita »
- Mark Twain