Author Topic: Pick #15 or 16 -- This is Bad  (Read 17199 times)

Re: Pick #15 or 16 -- This is Bad
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2015, 01:19:32 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
You are honestly upset with the fact that we are making the playoffs and drop 5 to 6 slots in the draft?

I don't even know how to respond to that. Playoffs over lottery all day and everyday.

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2015, 01:21:37 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Dude... you are putting WAY too much stock in the draft, even if Stanley Johnson ends up being the next Lebron(which I highly doubt), his services will not be exclusive to the team that drafts him.

Better to get a star in his prime than when he's expected to sit on the bench until he can be productive. It would be unwise for DA to just say "F--- it!" and trade away everyone to get all the top 5 picks he can. With this unexpected run, we are getting the best of both worlds... we are seeing our current #6 pick (smart) panning out and giving us glimpses of his potential and he's playing on a competing team! Headed to the playoffs! That is just automatically going to raise his game.

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2015, 07:17:20 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
Dude... you are putting WAY too much stock in the draft, even if Stanley Johnson ends up being the next Lebron(which I highly doubt), his services will not be exclusive to the team that drafts him.

Better to get a star in his prime than when he's expected to sit on the bench until he can be productive. It would be unwise for DA to just say "F--- it!" and trade away everyone to get all the top 5 picks he can. With this unexpected run, we are getting the best of both worlds... we are seeing our current #6 pick (smart) panning out and giving us glimpses of his potential and he's playing on a competing team! Headed to the playoffs! That is just automatically going to raise his game.
You are honestly upset with the fact that we are making the playoffs and drop 5 to 6 slots in the draft?

I don't even know how to respond to that. Playoffs over lottery all day and everyday.

I get what you both are saying, I really do. But I don't envision Turner, or Sully as cornerstones of our next championship team. So in essence we will be getting playoff experience for a lot of players we won't even be keeping, and therein lies the rub.

On another note, I'm not so sure Poetl declared, and I don't think a Dekker or Kaminsky at 15 really helps our cause so much.

Also, getting a Stanley Johnson or WCS is BIG for the future. They can both contribute IMMEDIATELY (at least on defense). So if we had gotten pick 8 or 9 then we would basically still be a young up and coming team AND ON TOP OF THAT have some elite talent to push us forward. If we had any shot at making the finals then I'd agree about playoffs over lottery any day, but getting in sub 500 isn't the best feeling.

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2015, 05:48:25 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Calm down everyone... danny will try to move up if he sees something he likes.. but... do not trade the nets picks....they are gold

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2015, 06:10:33 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
This is kind of a rant, so I apologize in advance... but really? We could have had pick 9 or 10 and realistically been able to trade up a few spots to get a Stanley Johnson, AKA a real difference maker. Now, the best we can get is a fringe player. In terms of strategy for the club, this is awful-- we won[t win it all this year, and now our future years are less prosperous. Top FAs won't come here so we have to improve through trades & the draft. Pick 16 is pretty useless, I'd much rather trade it for a player at this point or offer Sully and or KO with pick 16 and other sweetners to try and get something half decent. Overall this is just so disappointing. Turner or Johnson would have been perfect, but no, not good enough-- we had to go for the playoffs when we don't deserve to be there. Brutal.

It's hard enough getting a free agent to sign in Boston.  Making the playoffs lightens this a bit and opens the door.  We go into next year with playoff experience and a coach that people may want to play for after seeing this run.  This is a great position to be in. 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2015, 07:57:56 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Who gives a XXXX. Most picks in the 12+ range a bench to bust players. Even in a deep draft - once we are out of the top 8 picks our chances of drafting an impact player are low. We are much better off winning games and becoming a respectable team that the next FA we chase feels he can get his ring here.

Amen.... most of these college players are so young, your not going to know what you have until 3 to 4 years down the road..

The days of drafting a Magic, Bird, Jordan are long gone. It's a big time crapshoot with any of these guys..

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2015, 08:11:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Porzingis will be the best player from this draft. I like Towns, but low post centers have limited utility in today's NBA.  Porzingis likely goes top 6, so I don't see us packing picks to move up that far, it would cost too much. I think if Danny liked him as much as I, he would have figured away to lose more games this year!!

I'm glad we're in the playoffs.  I really love Stevens' coaching ability. He is a very smart coach.  He knows how to win without superstars.  Whether that translates to the playoffs we're about to find out.

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2015, 08:16:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This is kind of a rant, so I apologize in advance... but really? We could have had pick 9 or 10 and realistically been able to trade up a few spots to get a Stanley Johnson, AKA a real difference maker. Now, the best we can get is a fringe player. In terms of strategy for the club, this is awful-- we won[t win it all this year, and now our future years are less prosperous. Top FAs won't come here so we have to improve through trades & the draft. Pick 16 is pretty useless, I'd much rather trade it for a player at this point or offer Sully and or KO with pick 16 and other sweetners to try and get something half decent. Overall this is just so disappointing. Turner or Johnson would have been perfect, but no, not good enough-- we had to go for the playoffs when we don't deserve to be there. Brutal.
The Sixers are getting great picks. But nobody respects them.

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2015, 08:46:52 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
Can we not give the OP such a hard time? There is some validity to his argument. Getting stuck in the 40-52 win limbo is awful. That said, it was clear very early that we were going to be too good to get a top five pick. Once it was clear it was getting a pick between 8-12 or playoffs I think going for the playoffs was the right choice.

The big question is how we do attracting free agents. This is the first time we will ever have max money to spend. No one knows whether free agents will come to Boston. We have never had the money to pay them. Any of this talk that free agents will not come is purely conjecture unless someone has heard from a top line FA that even if Boston had the money they would never come here. I have never heard that so I think we just have to wait.

As a final note I honestly think Danny trades up if there is someone he likes. I suspect Mario Hezonja is his guy.

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2015, 08:49:52 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Can we not give the OP such a hard time? There is some validity to his argument. Getting stuck in the 40-52 win limbo is awful. That said, it was clear very early that we were going to be too good to get a top five pick. Once it was clear it was getting a pick between 8-12 or playoffs I think going for the playoffs was the right choice.

The big question is how we do attracting free agents. This is the first time we will ever have max money to spend. No one knows whether free agents will come to Boston. We have never had the money to pay them. Any of this talk that free agents will not come is purely conjecture unless someone has heard from a top line FA that even if Boston had the money they would never come here. I have never heard that so I think we just have to wait.

As a final note I honestly think Danny trades up if there is someone he likes. I suspect Mario Hezonja is his guy.

Because he makes it sound like it's the end of the world despite the fact that the Celtics have young players, draft picks and flexibility moving forward.

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2015, 08:55:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The Sixers are getting great picks. But nobody respects them.

True.  And our scrappy, overachieving, very well-coached Celtics team is getting a lot of positive attention these days, which is nice.  I like that our team is interesting enough to be worth writing about (and not for negative reasons, as with the Sixers).

That said, in a few months, will it really matter at all that our team was a nice storyline for a couple weeks as the team that "had no business making the playoffs, but did anyway"?

In some ways, that's just a backhanded compliment, a way of saying, "This team needs a high draft pick as much as anybody, but hey, the least we can do is recognize that they worked hard, because that's all the reward they'll get for being one of the lesser talented teams."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2015, 08:59:24 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
It's understandable why some people are upset that we don't have a high draft pick. A high draft pick with a great player is the simplest way for us to move to a contender.

However, that isn't to say that our current path of improving isn't going to work, it just simply isn't as easily apparent.

The last time the Celtics picked around this range they selected Al Jefferson, who ended up being better than a lot of the players drafted ahead of him and eventually became the center piece of the KG trade.

Trust that we will draft the best available player, and develop them so they can be as good as they can be. Be thankful that you are the fan of a team that is very young, in the playoffs with multiple avenues left for them to improve.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2015, 09:45:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
However, that isn't to say that our current path of improving isn't going to work, it just simply isn't as easily apparent.

This is the essence of it, in my opinion.

I can understand the frustration that some fans have with second-guessing and naysaying of the current squad, the incessant need to look down the road and ask when the team will be more, more, more.  Can't we just appreciate the surprisingly fun and scrappy team we have in front of us?

On the other hand, this team will seem a lot less cute if they stay in the 35-45 win range for the next few years while they try to figure out a way to take the next step.

Ainge's strategy appears to be to constantly look for ways to add to the Celtics' treasure trove by incrementally upgrading assets and finding good deals, in the hopes that he will be ready to pounce when an opportunity to nab a star presents itself.

Question is, when will that opportunity come?  This summer?  Five summers from now?  And will some crappy team that stinks its way into a top pick step in and usurp that opportunity, as the Cavaliers did last summer with Kevin Love?

But, as Evantime points out, the difference between picking around 16 and picking around 10 or 11 often isn't that large (or non-existent).  We have a pretty good GM, and there's a solid chance he'll find us a player that multiple lottery teams fail to draft, to their detriment. 

I don't think the team will ultimately be hurt all that much as a result of dropping 5 or 6 spots in this draft by making the playoffs. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2015, 11:41:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jarell Martin is a guy I wouldn't mind Danny reaching for at 16.  Would be a good replacement for Bass.  Some compare him to a Tobias Harris. Has the body, explosiveness and body like a Julius Randle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIncfASyba0

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2015, 12:39:34 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
So, winning 45 games a season is limbo? You're telling me it's a bad thing? You do realize only ONE team wins it every season and it's usually a team who has done it before. All the other teams who are the losers (you know, the 15 other teams) are always around that same win total. So even if we get this magical franchise player from the draft (after some losing that usually continues after getting that player) we will eventually be in the same 45 or so win seasons, IF we ever get there in the first place!!! LeBron had to devastate an entire fan base/city to get out of that "limbo" and he was/is the best player on the planet! I swear, it's as if some of you ignore the history of the NBA just so you can hold on to the idea that it's top pick or bust.

Seriously, if that's a limbo, then 15 teams are in that limbo every season. Teams with some of the best players in the world!

Compile a list of the top 10 players in the NBA, then name the ones with a ring, then list the amount of wins a season their teams have had over the last few seasons. I guarantee it will look similar to that same limbo you people are crying about! A few of those players are wishing they were in that limbo. o.0
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)