Author Topic: Pick #15 or 16 -- This is Bad  (Read 17255 times)

Re: Pick #15 or 16 -- This is Bad
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2015, 03:39:51 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Even if you're only interested in accumulating assets as opposed to watching better basketball, I think making the playoffs could represent a greater increase in our asset value than the difference between the 9th and 15th picks.

For example, Turner, Thomas, Zeller, Crowder and maybe AB seem like guys who probably have played their way into being better assets now compared to the beginning of the year.

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2015, 03:50:43 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
This is kind of a rant, so I apologize in advance... but really? We could have had pick 9 or 10 and realistically been able to trade up a few spots to get a Stanley Johnson, AKA a real difference maker. Now, the best we can get is a fringe player. In terms of strategy for the club, this is awful-- we won[t win it all this year, and now our future years are less prosperous. Top FAs won't come here so we have to improve through trades & the draft. Pick 16 is pretty useless, I'd much rather trade it for a player at this point or offer Sully and or KO with pick 16 and other sweetners to try and get something half decent. Overall this is just so disappointing. Turner or Johnson would have been perfect, but no, not good enough-- we had to go for the playoffs when we don't deserve to be there. Brutal.

You guys kill me. You just now realized our pick will suck, just now?

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2015, 03:52:37 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
This is kind of a rant, so I apologize in advance... but really? We could have had pick 9 or 10 and realistically been able to trade up a few spots to get a Stanley Johnson, AKA a real difference maker. Now, the best we can get is a fringe player. In terms of strategy for the club, this is awful-- we won[t win it all this year, and now our future years are less prosperous. Top FAs won't come here so we have to improve through trades & the draft. Pick 16 is pretty useless, I'd much rather trade it for a player at this point or offer Sully and or KO with pick 16 and other sweetners to try and get something half decent. Overall this is just so disappointing. Turner or Johnson would have been perfect, but no, not good enough-- we had to go for the playoffs when we don't deserve to be there. Brutal.

And you know that the pick will suck? Have you peered into the future and saw how badly the Celtic will play?

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2015, 05:39:59 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Can't you just be happy tha we made the playoffs? Come on bro..
What matters most to me is being entertained. I have been entertained this season, so that is good.

I do not think I will be particularly entertained by being destroyed in the playoffs. I would be happy to skip that for a higher pick that could give me the enjoyment of false hope.

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2015, 05:51:09 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

And you know that the pick will suck? Have you peered into the future and saw how badly the Celtic will play?
He means it wont be a high pick. Not that the player will necessarily suck just that the pick will suck as a #1 pick is a great pick and a #30 pick sucks even tho the #1 pick could be oden who sucks and the #30 pick could be Jimmy Butler who far from sucks

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2015, 07:42:43 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Well, either you tank to the fullest like the Knicks or Wolves to have a greater possibility of that one lottery ball, or you push for playoffs to build motivation, confidence, and experience with the young guns and gain some revenues.

I believe the idea is with the latter at this point, no turning back.

That is fine and all but out of all our young players who do u think is staying for the Cs future
Smart,Bradley, sully, olynyk, zeller , young?
I don't think any of the players except smart could perhaps guarantee a future with the team

So building experience, motivation, confidence in young players is not really necessary for us as we probably are back in the lottery

Also revenues would be much less as we aren't a contender, or a young upcoming team

But then again we may enter the playoffs to show off more of our assets to trade them

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 03:31:35 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
The goal is to refabricate the Celtics into San Antonio East, and I believe that the right kind of culture is being developed.  That is something of great value, in my estimation.

Ainge isn't bumbling blindly down a dark road; you can be sure that like any good chess player, he is considering all possible outcomes 10 or more moves ahead, and has prepared contingencies to handle any and all situations.  The move to get Zeller was great, and the deal for IT was pure genius.  Have faith, we're not as far away as you might believe...

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2015, 04:47:01 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The goal is to refabricate the Celtics into San Antonio East, and I believe that the right kind of culture is being developed.  That is something of great value, in my estimation.

Ainge isn't bumbling blindly down a dark road; you can be sure that like any good chess player, he is considering all possible outcomes 10 or more moves ahead, and has prepared contingencies to handle any and all situations.  The move to get Zeller was great, and the deal for IT was pure genius.  Have faith, we're not as far away as you might believe...
San Antonio East... minus the greatest power forward of all time... and a couple other all-stars.

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2015, 04:49:55 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
again overrating the draft, the chance to get a difference maker in the mid lottery is close to zero

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2015, 06:07:07 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In the last two drafts, the 15th/16th picks have yielded Giannis and Nurkic. But yes, there's a 0% chance a good player will be on the board this year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2015, 12:29:33 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
the beauty of having so many first round picks over the next several years is that Danny can still effectively build through the draft but at the same time build a culture of winning with his current roster.  Let these other teams whose draft picks we own, do the losing for us.

we could have as many as 13 draft picks in the next two drafts.  thats an entire active NBA roster of draft picks.  We HAVE to trade some of these, and it'll most likely be to move up in the draft, whether it be this draft or another.

I completely agree. Suposedly next year's draft is supposed to be much worse than this year's, so this might be a good time to do so. Some people have been saying this year's draft is a dud, but I don't remember picks 8-12 last year having this much talent. As long as we put protections on one of the Nets picks then I'll live.

There are a lot of incentives, including those from GMs and the media, to pump this year's draft at the expense of next year's.  I seem to remember having these same discussions last year and I predict that we'll have threads next year at this time telling us how much better the 2016 draft will be than the 2017.

Oh, one other thing, OP.  I disagree with your premise that we are hosed by getting into the playoffs instead of the lottery, but I'll say that your post was a lot less crass than some of the responses to it.

Mike

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2015, 12:41:52 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would be shocked if we don't move up at all.

Historically speaking there hasn't been a huge difference in the value of a player selected at 10 vs 15.

I expect us to get a player with a high upside that isn't ready for a couple years, then I expect the people who are saying the 15/16th pick sucks to feel validated after their pick isn't ready immediately.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2015, 12:43:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

San Antonio East... minus the greatest power forward of all time... and a couple other all-stars.

Way to get hung up on the minutia.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2015, 01:08:12 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
This is kind of a rant, so I apologize in advance... but really? We could have had pick 9 or 10 and realistically been able to trade up a few spots to get a Stanley Johnson, AKA a real difference maker.

You know who had way, way, WAAAAAAAY better stats as a freshman than Stanley Johnson?

Jared Sullinger.

Mike

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2015, 01:16:30 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The players around 15 aren't much different than the players around 11.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Poeltl, Lyles and Grant don't turn out better than Turner, Looney or Oubre.