Author Topic: Pick #15 or 16 -- This is Bad  (Read 17239 times)

Re: Pick #15 or 16 -- This is Bad
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 09:45:39 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Yes I sound overly dramatic, sorry about that-- I'm just so invested in this team. I don't think making the playoffs will help us land any FAs, but I hope I'm wrong.

I just think trading away a lot to move up to 8 or 9 is a bad idea. I do really want Stanley Johnson, but I wouldn't give away more than the Clippers pick and Sully to do so.
It will cost at least our pick and one of the Nets. It would be worth it for Stanley Johnson.

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 10:00:48 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
Maybe if it were top 10 protected... I'd rather give away Sully and/or KO

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 10:02:24 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
the beauty of having so many first round picks over the next several years is that Danny can still effectively build through the draft but at the same time build a culture of winning with his current roster.  Let these other teams whose draft picks we own, do the losing for us.

we could have as many as 13 draft picks in the next two drafts.  thats an entire active NBA roster of draft picks.  We HAVE to trade some of these, and it'll most likely be to move up in the draft, whether it be this draft or another.

Greg

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 10:09:51 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
the beauty of having so many first round picks over the next several years is that Danny can still effectively build through the draft but at the same time build a culture of winning with his current roster.  Let these other teams whose draft picks we own, do the losing for us.

we could have as many as 13 draft picks in the next two drafts.  thats an entire active NBA roster of draft picks.  We HAVE to trade some of these, and it'll most likely be to move up in the draft, whether it be this draft or another.

I completely agree. Suposedly next year's draft is supposed to be much worse than this year's, so this might be a good time to do so. Some people have been saying this year's draft is a dud, but I don't remember picks 8-12 last year having this much talent. As long as we put protections on one of the Nets picks then I'll live.

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 10:42:01 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
and, if its any consolation at all, Kawhi Leonard was drafted at #15, as were Antetokounmpo and Sanders.  :D

but then again, so was Maurice Harkless.  :P

so yes, even at #15 there is hope, just less than there is by being at #1 through #5.   :(
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 10:47:08 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Trade anyone on this team and any asset to get up to take Okafor. Our best hope is for Philly to win the draft. Stevens has coached this team into treadmill city.

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 10:56:06 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This year was a better year to be a bad team (top 7 lottery pick) than last year. The top 7-8 players in this year's draft are much much better than the ones in last year's.

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 11:04:17 AM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
If you apologize in advance then that means you probably knew when you were writing it that this was a pathetic thread to create. Next time you want to apologize in advance just don't write anything, I mean, who creates this type of thread in the middle of an exciting playoff run. The thread title should have been 'I'm a fake Celtics fan who complains about everything'.

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2015, 11:10:12 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
If you apologize in advance then that means you probably knew when you were writing it that this was a pathetic thread to create. Next time you want to apologize in advance just don't write anything, I mean, who creates this type of thread in the middle of an exciting playoff run. The thread title should have been 'I'm a fake Celtics fan who complains about everything'.

Umm, no. I apologized for it sounding like the world was ending, not for the general sentiments I expressed which are completely true. You should make a thread called "I'm not a true Celtics fan because I care more about being a 7 or 8 seed and getting pummeled than I do about winning titles, because I am near-sighted and not focused on the future and sustained success for our team."

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2015, 11:11:14 AM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
This year was a better year to be a bad team (top 7 lottery pick) than last year. The top 7-8 players in this year's draft are much much better than the ones in last year's.

I disagree, Nobody in this draft is as good as Wiggins.  Scouts say Embid would  be the first player taken if he was in this draft.

Also, I think this is the draft that if you do not have 1,2 or 3, having 2 picks in the 15-25 range could get you a gem.

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2015, 11:15:39 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
This is kind of a rant, so I apologize in advance... but really? We could have had pick 9 or 10 and realistically been able to trade up a few spots to get a Stanley Johnson, AKA a real difference maker. Now, the best we can get is a fringe player. In terms of strategy for the club, this is awful-- we won[t win it all this year, and now our future years are less prosperous. Top FAs won't come here so we have to improve through trades & the draft. Pick 16 is pretty useless, I'd much rather trade it for a player at this point or offer Sully and or KO with pick 16 and other sweetners to try and get something half decent. Overall this is just so disappointing. Turner or Johnson would have been perfect, but no, not good enough-- we had to go for the playoffs when we don't deserve to be there. Brutal.

I wouldn't be surprised if you still could get Turner at 16th. Not that I would want to. I'd rather have Poeltl or Lyles. Or Oubre. Or Dunn. Or even Booker.
Anyway, the point is, for some the player that is available at 15 or 16 is better than the one picked at 9 or 10. And the same can be said for the one available at 9 or 10 comparing to the one picked at 4 or 5.

The chance of finding a difference maker at 9 might be 100 per cent more than finding him at 16. But that only means a 1 per cent chance instead of a .5 per cent. Don't fret over it.

No interest whatsoever in another pillow-soft stretch 4 like Myles Turner. And the fascination with Stanley Johnson escapes me. Wildly overrated. Stanley Johnson is NOT going to change the course of this franchise.

Kelly Oubre is James Young reincarnated - nowhere near ready for the association and pillow-soft as well.

You move up in this draft to take a big, or you take your chances with Ainge drafting and his fascination with the Fab Melos of the world.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 12:58:04 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I disagree, Nobody in this draft is as good as Wiggins.  Scouts say Embid would  be the first player taken if he was in this draft.

Also, I think this is the draft that if you do not have 1,2 or 3, having 2 picks in the 15-25 range could get you a gem.

I'd be willing to bet that Winslow ends up being a better player than Wiggins, and he would fit perfectly with our team. We'd have an amazing ore of young defenders. I think you will need the 4 or 5 pick, and we have the assets to get there.

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2015, 01:06:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I wondering if .....76 s trade Noel or Embiid to obtain the pick to grab Winslow or somebody else 4-5 -6. Pick.......after the two bigs are gone......some team might trade with 76ers to get One of there lottery bigs .

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 01:23:38 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
This is kind of a rant, so I apologize in advance... but really? We could have had pick 9 or 10 and realistically been able to trade up a few spots to get a Stanley Johnson, AKA a real difference maker. Now, the best we can get is a fringe player. In terms of strategy for the club, this is awful-- we won[t win it all this year, and now our future years are less prosperous. Top FAs won't come here so we have to improve through trades & the draft. Pick 16 is pretty useless, I'd much rather trade it for a player at this point or offer Sully and or KO with pick 16 and other sweetners to try and get something half decent. Overall this is just so disappointing. Turner or Johnson would have been perfect, but no, not good enough-- we had to go for the playoffs when we don't deserve to be there. Brutal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGcn15ODltA

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2015, 02:48:06 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Dekker would be a great pick for them.