Author Topic: Pick #15 or 16 -- This is Bad  (Read 17241 times)

Pick #15 or 16 -- This is Bad
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:36:20 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
This is kind of a rant, so I apologize in advance... but really? We could have had pick 9 or 10 and realistically been able to trade up a few spots to get a Stanley Johnson, AKA a real difference maker. Now, the best we can get is a fringe player. In terms of strategy for the club, this is awful-- we won[t win it all this year, and now our future years are less prosperous. Top FAs won't come here so we have to improve through trades & the draft. Pick 16 is pretty useless, I'd much rather trade it for a player at this point or offer Sully and or KO with pick 16 and other sweetners to try and get something half decent. Overall this is just so disappointing. Turner or Johnson would have been perfect, but no, not good enough-- we had to go for the playoffs when we don't deserve to be there. Brutal.

Re: Pick #15 or 16 -- This is Bad
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 11:47:32 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Well, either you tank to the fullest like the Knicks or Wolves to have a greater possibility of that one lottery ball, or you push for playoffs to build motivation, confidence, and experience with the young guns and gain some revenues.

I believe the idea is with the latter at this point, no turning back.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 11:48:26 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
This is kind of a rant, so I apologize in advance... but really? We could have had pick 9 or 10 and realistically been able to trade up a few spots to get a Stanley Johnson, AKA a real difference maker. Now, the best we can get is a fringe player. In terms of strategy for the club, this is awful-- we won[t win it all this year, and now our future years are less prosperous. Top FAs won't come here so we have to improve through trades & the draft. Pick 16 is pretty useless, I'd much rather trade it for a player at this point or offer Sully and or KO with pick 16 and other sweetners to try and get something half decent. Overall this is just so disappointing. Turner or Johnson would have been perfect, but no, not good enough-- we had to go for the playoffs when we don't deserve to be there. Brutal.

Ok, we got it. See you next year.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 12:08:34 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Well, either you tank to the fullest like the Knicks or Wolves to have a greater possibility of that one lottery ball, or you push for playoffs to build motivation, confidence, and experience with the young guns and gain some revenues.

I believe the idea is with the latter at this point, no turning back.

exactly what I wanted to say. To me, beginning of the year, it was either Towns or Okafor, and tanking for either of those 2 is not worth it in my opinion AT THAT TIME. You're tanking against a few other teams that also wants them and it isn't worth it if we didn't land the top picks. I rather make playoffs and have our players grow to compete

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 12:11:04 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
our team is playing great basketball in this calendar year, and you would trade all that to get a 9-10 pick?
enjoy the fight and the spirit these guys are putting out every single night.
seriously what is up with thoose ping pong balls
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 12:30:36 AM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11

I wouldn't be surprised if you still could get Turner at 16th. Not that I would want to. I'd rather have Poeltl or Lyles. Or Oubre. Or Dunn. Or even Booker.
Anyway, the point is, for some the player that is available at 15 or 16 is better than the one picked at 9 or 10. And the same can be said for the one available at 9 or 10 comparing to the one picked at 4 or 5.

The chance of finding a difference maker at 9 might be 100 per cent more than finding him at 16. But that only means a 1 per cent chance instead of a .5 per cent. Don't fret over it.

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 12:45:09 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
It's not all doom and gloom.
We have too many assets, and we'll probably trade up if we are at #15 or #16.

I'm not sure how far we can move up, but combining our #15 pick+Clippers pick+a Brooklyn pick should get us into the top 8 or 9.

I'm about to make another topic on this and our options in trading up, should make a good discussion.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 12:49:54 AM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 57
This is a crap draft.  Is anybody really excited about Towns or Okafor?  Honestly there is as much value at pick #4 in this draft as there is at #20.  So not too concerned.

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 12:51:46 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Cmon, I've been rooting for a lotto pick too but let's not pretend it's the end of the world... difference b/t #9 and #15 is something but not like it'll change the course of the franchise

I'm just thinking of Isiah Thomas as our lotto pick..

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 12:54:49 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Can't you just be happy tha we made the playoffs? Come on bro..
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 12:56:25 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Can't you just be happy tha we made the playoffs? Come on bro..

Ouch.  Let's not count those chickens just yet. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 01:58:05 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
Who gives a XXXX. Most picks in the 12+ range a bench to bust players. Even in a deep draft - once we are out of the top 8 picks our chances of drafting an impact player are low. We are much better off winning games and becoming a respectable team that the next FA we chase feels he can get his ring here.

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 03:07:13 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

Why don't we deserve to be there? We've been a completely different team since the Rondo/Green trades. 21-12 in the past 33 games. If we had this team all year, we'd almost surely be a few games over 500, and that almost always makes the playoffs in the East.

And we have assets available to move up, Ainge could easily move from 15 to the very late lottery, like 10-12 where one of the Johnson, Turner, WCS trio is likely to fall. And considering Ainge's success in the mid-late first round I don't think that's so horrible.

Enjoy the fact we have a pretty good team and an excellent coach. Assets, cap-space, an excellent front office and one of the NBA's best GM's. 5 or 6 draft spots isn't the end of the world.

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 03:58:53 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Trade up? selling the farm for a higher pick might be the worst thing DA could do right now.

At #15 or 16 you can still get a guy like Lyles, Portis, Dekker or even Turner (though not likely). Aside from Towns, who I've seen as the best prospect since he played in the Hoop Summit with Wiggins, I can't see a difference maker for a franchise in this draft.

You can have raw but great potential-wise kids with the Clippers' pick, too. I want Dakari, but that's me.

And you gotta love this team, they have fight in them. Go Celtics!

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 09:39:37 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
Yes I sound overly dramatic, sorry about that-- I'm just so invested in this team. I don't think making the playoffs will help us land any FAs, but I hope I'm wrong.

I just think trading away a lot to move up to 8 or 9 is a bad idea. I do really want Stanley Johnson, but I wouldn't give away more than the Clippers pick and Sully to do so.