Author Topic: What do you think of Looney at 15?  (Read 6661 times)

Re: What do you think of Looney at 15?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 11:30:20 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Looney is a solid but unexciting prospect - a 3&D PF without any fatal flaws but also without any special talents. I think there is a lot of parity among the 2nd-tier bigs, and right now I'd prefer to take someone who's more of a C (Kaminsky, Poetl, Turner). I'm pretty sick of always playing PF's at C.

I like Kaminsky, but I think he's not a pure center either.  A lot of sites list him as a PF, and I agree with that.  He can play the 5 in certian lineups, and is versatile in that sense, but if you want someone who's more of a center, you will find yourself disappointed with Kaminsky.  Turner and Poetl, absolutely, but not Frank the Tank.

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 11:31:09 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Looney is a solid but unexciting prospect - a 3&D PF without any fatal flaws but also without any special talents. I think there is a lot of parity among the 2nd-tier bigs, and right now I'd prefer to take someone who's more of a C (Kaminsky, Poetl, Turner). I'm pretty sick of always playing PF's at C.
His special talent is he has a 7'3 wingspan which is longer than anyone on our team and can handle the ball as a 19 year old freshman PF. You don't see many freshman at the power forward position get the rebound and dribble the ball coast to coast.

Completely agree that I would prefer a 5. Although I would take the upside of a guy like Looney over a lower ceiling higher floor guy like Kaminsky.
He has very little game so I can see him sliding to 15.

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 11:49:47 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I think I'd rather Poeltl, but I'd take Looney at 16.

If we got Looney at 16, LeVert, Hollis-Jefferson, or Hunter at 25, and Upshaw at 33. Consider this draft a steal.

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 12:01:17 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Looney is such a Ainge pick. I say that because he's a TWEENER. Ainge loves tweeners.

If we got Looney I'd personally be upset, our team has too many PFs as is.

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 12:10:29 PM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
I see him as the next...
JaJuan Johnson

No thanks

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 12:26:04 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
He's nothing like j.j. besides the fact that there tall. JJ was a post up player with no muscle, Looney could bodyslam him at 15. Looney is much more well rounded, and could help are team in a myriad of ways.

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 12:46:43 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
There's no way Danny's drafting four rookies, so I expect some trading that likely includes consolidation into no more than two picks for the C's. There's that Chinese guy who could be stashed if he's in the draft, but I think Danny's looking for a quicker bang for his buck. I could see him consolidating his two 1sts and one of his early 2nds to get up into the top 8-9, no matter whether they make it to the playoffs or not.

So I'm assuming this question will end up having been something of an academic exercise.

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2015, 04:03:50 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20150524/nba-draft-uclas-kevon-looney-feels-ready-for-nba-possibly-colder-climate

He has interviewed with the Celtics, I could see him filling the versatile forward position when he gains some strength as he can shoot from the outside and defend on the perimeter and post. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 04:10:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I think either

AB , KO and or Sully is history on draft night

A first rounder , one of above players , plus our 16 th .......

Gets C's pick up in the range  where WCS can be taken.

I don see DA taking Looney ....it is no help ...doesn't move the needle.

Danny combines picks and players to draft a better than 16 th player

Or he .....throws the dice on Upshaw.

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2015, 04:16:58 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If C's trade back to Rockets spot Looney comes into play.

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 04:28:27 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
I think either

AB , KO and or Sully is history on draft night

A first rounder , one of above players , plus our 16 th .......

Gets C's pick up in the range  where WCS can be taken.

I don see DA taking Looney ....it is no help ...doesn't move the needle.

Danny combines picks and players to draft a better than 16 th player

Or he .....throws the dice on Upshaw.

Looney has good size, is long, quick, if he can add muscle he could be the person that covers the Lebrons/Durants/Griffin/Leonards of the worlds.  He can shoot from the outside, is 19 years old, and has a high ceiling.  If Oubre is gone I would go with Looney then Upshaw.  Looney is a nightmare matchup for many forwards and solves our rebounding problems.  I think he moves the needle, although obviously trading up to get a rim protector would be option 1.

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
-Retracted-
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:17:30 PM by Smartacus »

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2015, 04:35:36 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton

If we got Looney at 16, LeVert, Hollis-Jefferson, or Hunter at 25, and Upshaw at 33. Consider this draft a steal.

Well then you'll have to wait until 2016, Jakob Poeltl when back to Utah for his sophomore season.

Caris LeVert is also heading back to school next year.

The post you quoted is from April 10th, imagine how much different this draft would be if both of those players you mentioned and Sabonis and Dunn had entered the draft. 

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 06:08:56 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Well then you'll have to wait until 2016, Jakob Poeltl when back to Utah for his sophomore season.

Caris LeVert is also heading back to school next year.

The post you quoted is from April 10th, imagine how much different this draft would be if both of those players you mentioned and Sabonis and Dunn had entered the draft.

Oops thanks for pointing that out, statement retracted.

Dunn vs. Grant Vs. Payne would have been a really interesting to see who gets picked where.

I like Sabonis better as a 2016 prospect, hoping he can clean a few things up with his game, before he comes out next year. Think he could be a bit more of a presence in the post.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:20:04 PM by Smartacus »

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2015, 11:29:57 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Looney was ranked the 5th best prospect via a composite ranking of 5 statistical models made to predict success of the 2015 draft class.

The people over at apbr.org are working on an article to be published at draftexpress later that will show these results. I didn't post a link because their work is still in google doc form and I think posting it before it is in its final form is a bad idea.

Their top 20
D'Angelo Russell
Jahlil Okafor
Karl Towns
Justise Winslow
Kevon Looney
Stanley Johnson
Myles Turner
Tyus Jones
Delon Wright
Frank Kaminsky
Christian Wood