Author Topic: What do you think of Looney at 15?  (Read 6624 times)

Re: What do you think of Looney at 15?
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2015, 11:56:01 AM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
I hope he is drafted at 15 so the Celtics have no chance of getting him. 

At 16, I would rather have Lyles or Booker because they can score.

Lyles because we could get rid of Olynyk; Booker because we could get rid of Bradley.
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2015, 12:27:47 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If the Cs cant move up my get feeling is that Looney, Hollis-Jefferson and Lyles will be the options at #16.

I can see DA and BS liking Looney for his versatility. Looking at how useful Jerebko was this season its easy to see how Looney would fit in. They have different skill sets but are roughly the same size and would play a similar hybrid 4/3 role. This is also a dangerous niche' as many busts have been in this mold.

As others have pointed out Looney's length at the 4/3 is very attractive. 7'3.5" wingspan and 9'2" standing reach are center numbers. Add this to his elite rebounding which is one of the skills that typically translates well from NCAA to NBA and his reportedly under used ball handling ability and its easy to see him being an asset in the NBA. Though Im not a huge fan of player comps looking at what Aminu did in college and is doing in to pros and its easy to see some parallels. They both are of similar size and build and put up similar rebounding numbers in college. I think this at least bodes will for Looney as a rebounder and his offense will be a project to develop in maine.   

On the negative side he will need to continue to develop as a shooter. He shot a nice percentage but was inconsistent and may take time to gain NBA range. While extremely lengthy he isn't incredibly explosive and will need to improve as a finisher. His struggles during the season against Arizona showed his lack of a go to offensive skill set. Unable to out quick or over power RHJ, S Johnson or B Ashley he struggled in these matchups. But in the NBA with space and an improved outside shot I can see him developing into a mismatch on the perimeter against true PFs.

If the Cs do draft him I expect 0 impact on next years roster. He will be in for a J Young like D-League experience. Allowing him to go to maine and play the stretch 4 and put up shots could do wonders for his development.

Just saw this on realgm also makes a case for Looney at #16

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/237954/Some-Executives-Now-Looking-For-Playmaking-4-Instead-Of-Stretch-4
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:37:04 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I watched several games and he did well in none of them offensively.  I thought he did poorly in the NCAAs.

He has a ton of potential and his demeanor reminds me of Robert Parish.

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2015, 12:59:48 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
PLEASE NO.

TWEEENER CITY