Author Topic: What do you think of Looney at 15?  (Read 6664 times)

What do you think of Looney at 15?
« on: April 09, 2015, 11:21:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Very good all around defender.  Has the length to help out altering/blocking shots.   Due to his perimeter defensive capability could play Sf also.  Offensively he has some ways to go. But he has some good go to moves he can learn to utilize when the opportunity presents itself. 43 percent 3 pt shooter and thats something CBS will love.  Not a top flight/explosive athlete. But a taller, longer wingspan Demarr Carroll type of player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ8xedhpSDA

Re: What do you think of Looney at 15?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 11:24:22 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
He's a legitimate candidate. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 11:26:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Is his upside Thad Young, or Lamar Odom?

The former is a tough guy to fit on a decent roster, though he puts up numbers on bad to mediocre teams just find.

The latter was an All-Star caliber player who could have been even more than that and played much longer if he weren't a headcase.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 11:31:41 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
at 15, looney was probably like many of us. precocious, perhaps even solitary, wishing to be more than he was. like many other fifteen-year-old teens, he was probably pushing his parents to do more and more on his own, and do not want to have to ask permission to do it. he was likely learning to be assertive as well.

oh wait, you meant 15 as in draft spot. never mind.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 11:34:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
at 15, looney was probably like many of us. precocious, perhaps even solitary, wishing to be more than he was. like many other fifteen-year-old teens, he was probably pushing his parents to do more and more on his own, and do not want to have to ask permission to do it. he was likely learning to be assertive as well.

We're all a little looney at 15.  Strange age to be.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 11:36:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

smart aleck lol

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 11:38:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

The former is a tough guy to fit on a decent roster, though he puts up numbers on bad to mediocre teams just find.

The latter was an All-Star caliber player who could have been even more than that and played much longer if he weren't a headcase.

two things looney can do now is defend all over the place and shoot the 3 at a decent rate.

CBS will be in love.  If Looney can mix in his drives, mid range game, just become more comfortable , we could be looking at another Giannis type player.  Not as good ball handler but better shooting version

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 11:45:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

two things looney can do now is defend all over the place and shoot the 3 at a decent rate.

CBS will be in love.  If Looney can mix in his drives, mid range game, just become more comfortable , we could be looking at another Giannis type player.  Not as good ball handler but better shooting version

The video I have seen of Looney does not make him look like an NBA wing player.  He looks like he will definitely be a power forward but may have the ability to beat slower big men off the dribble.

I just didn't see the kind of fluidity and agility I would expect from a wing prospect.  If I felt that Looney could be a wing at the NBA level I'd probably regard him more highly as a prospect.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 11:49:34 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Depending on who else is available I'd be very happy drafting Looney. He might be a few years away but he has the potential to be a good 3 point shooter, rebounder and guard multiple positions in the NBA.

I think he's the type of stretch 4 that they eventually replace Sully with.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 11:54:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

The video I have seen of Looney does not make him look like an NBA wing player.  He looks like he will definitely be a power forward but may have the ability to beat slower big men off the dribble.

I just didn't see the kind of fluidity and agility I would expect from a wing prospect.  If I felt that Looney could be a wing at the NBA level I'd probably regard him more highly as a prospect.

He can defend the wing but not able to perform as a good sf on the offensive end.

Maybe he can get quicker , or stronger.  This is the reason why he will drop. Some question marks on top of his inconsistent play.  No true position.  But CBS doesn't seem to mind players like this.   

Again bc he can defend out to the perimeter very well due to his range/length and can shoot the three, he can be out there as a sf under CBS.   

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 02:12:35 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
Ideally, he's a stretch 4 without the defense/rebounding limitations that the term usually implies.  I don't see the tools to be anything more than a jumpshooter on offense, though.  He can attack an over-enthusiastic closeout off the bounce, but other than that he lacks the quickness, footwork and balance to create his own shot consistently.  Think Crowder, but at the PF position.

I like the kid.  Not sure if I'd take him at 15 - more like 20 - but I like him.  Most likely a bench guy, could possibly develop into a roleplaying starter on a team that needs spacing from the PF position. 

EDIT:  It's worth noting that his 3P% is on a small sample size.  If he's really a 40+ guy from deep, he should be shooting a lot more, lol.  So I wonder if any statistical noise is going on there.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 02:25:53 AM by Atzar »

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 09:57:34 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I am a big fan. I don't think he has star potential though. I think he can be a great glue guy. Defense, rebounding, floor spacing. Plays within himself. Makes good decisions on the ball. I think Looney is good value at the back end of the lottery given his all-round talent as a glue guy.

I would be disappointed to come away from this draft and not get anyone who has star potential given the lack of star talent on C's roster already & the talent in the top 10 of this draft. Furthermore, Looney plays same position as Olynyk and Sullinger.

Consequently, I'd rather trade up and try to get someone else. Preferably one of those SFs - Winslow, Stanley Johnson or Hezonja.

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 10:08:40 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Ideally, he's a stretch 4 without the defense/rebounding limitations that the term usually implies.  I don't see the tools to be anything more than a jumpshooter on offense, though.  He can attack an over-enthusiastic closeout off the bounce, but other than that he lacks the quickness, footwork and balance to create his own shot consistently.  Think Crowder, but at the PF position.

I like the kid.  Not sure if I'd take him at 15 - more like 20 - but I like him.  Most likely a bench guy, could possibly develop into a roleplaying starter on a team that needs spacing from the PF position. 

EDIT:  It's worth noting that his 3P% is on a small sample size.  If he's really a 40+ guy from deep, he should be shooting a lot more, lol.  So I wonder if any statistical noise is going on there.
I think he will eventually be able to create his own shot. He exhibited great handle on the break numerous times during the season, but didn't have his handle tight enough to score in the same way in half court in college.

That he was able to be a transition ball handler speaks more to his ceiling as a creator than, his inability to penetrate in college. In college the half court offense is congested making it much more difficult to drive to the hoop, I think it will be a lot easier for him to attack closeouts in the NBA, once he has improved his handle.

I would be disappointed to come away from this draft and not get anyone who has star potential given the lack of star talent on C's roster already & the talent in the top 10 of this draft. Furthermore, Looney plays same position as Olynyk and Sullinger.

Consequently, I'd rather trade up and try to get someone else. Preferably one of those SFs - Winslow, Stanley Johnson or Hezonja.
Why he is different than your standard bench stretch 4 is that he is a great rebounder and has center length to block shots. I think he could eventually replace Olynyk and Sullinger because he has the potential to rebound like Sully, shoot like KO and block shots like no one we currently have on our team. He does everything you would ask of a modern day 4.

I think with his length and skill level at such an early age he does have star potential.

Completely agree on preferring that the C's move up to get a lottery level 3 or 5 but if that doesn't happen and they pick Looney I will be ecstatic.

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 11:18:48 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Looney is a solid but unexciting prospect - a 3&D PF without any fatal flaws but also without any special talents. I think there is a lot of parity among the 2nd-tier bigs, and right now I'd prefer to take someone who's more of a C (Kaminsky, Poetl, Turner). I'm pretty sick of always playing PF's at C.

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 11:24:02 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Looney is a solid but unexciting prospect - a 3&D PF without any fatal flaws but also without any special talents. I think there is a lot of parity among the 2nd-tier bigs, and right now I'd prefer to take someone who's more of a C (Kaminsky, Poetl, Turner). I'm pretty sick of always playing PF's at C.
His special talent is he has a 7'3 wingspan which is longer than anyone on our team and can handle the ball as a 19 year old freshman PF. You don't see many freshman at the power forward position get the rebound and dribble the ball coast to coast.

Completely agree that I would prefer a 5. Although I would take the upside of a guy like Looney over a lower ceiling higher floor guy like Kaminsky.