Author Topic: 2015 Draft: your top 20 prospect rank  (Read 21357 times)

Re: 2015 Draft: your top 20 prospect rank
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2015, 03:28:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
How can Gasol compete?

He is not that big nor strong.

What Kaminsky will do instead of battling at the defensive end all night is ,get you in trouble 1st. Like he did to okafor

If you overpower him a simple double team will work. 

Kaminsky ability to stretch the floor or post smaller players makes up for concerns regarding lack of strength at the defensive. Tyler Zeller was also thin when he came into the league and look at him now

Pau is just a much better athlete than Kaminsky.  Quicker laterally, more explosive, longer, great timing - an effective shot blocker and rebounder as a result.  Even so, he fought the 'soft' label for much of his career because he struggled to bang in the paint - it's why teams used him at the 4 (where his length and quickness actually made him an asset as a defender). 

Bringing up Zeller isn't exactly helping your case.  TZ is ideally a good backup (which is exactly what I think Kaminsky is) who is an average rebounder and really struggles when required to hold off bruisers in the post.  Zeller is actually an interesting comp for Kaminsky.  Frank has more range on his jumpshot (his slow release worries me a bit though) but that's compensated by the fact that Zeller is a better athlete.  Oh, and Zeller went at 20 by the way - as a senior who relied more on skill and IQ than strength or athleticism.  Stop me if any of that sounds familiar. 

Kaminsky won't drop to 20 like Zeller did, but no way he goes as high as 6.

Zeller went 17, not 20.

Also pau a great athlete? Explosive?  I disagree

He is mobile, good lateral quickness, agile and long. But hardly I can dunk over ppl type of player.

Which is the kind of player kaminsky is(slightly less mobile). Pau has been considered soft but still managed to get by.  Kaminsky did not get rocked by towns nor okafor (twice they met). And did quite a bit of damage on the offensive end. Just something to think about

I don't think you're remembering rookie Pau correctly. How can you forget the classic "que pasa Big Ticket" call by the Grizzlies announcer? This was him as a rookie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8v0hsyswwo

Yeah nice , one clip of him doing that.

You know that was/is not part of his game on a everyday basis

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2015, 03:32:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If you like that rare Gasol flashy dunk. Check out Kelly "Jordan' Olynyk soaring for a big time dunk.
http://youtu.be/5XNsQqUDy0k

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2015, 03:33:28 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
How can Gasol compete?

He is not that big nor strong.

What Kaminsky will do instead of battling at the defensive end all night is ,get you in trouble 1st. Like he did to okafor

If you overpower him a simple double team will work. 

Kaminsky ability to stretch the floor or post smaller players makes up for concerns regarding lack of strength at the defensive. Tyler Zeller was also thin when he came into the league and look at him now

Pau is just a much better athlete than Kaminsky.  Quicker laterally, more explosive, longer, great timing - an effective shot blocker and rebounder as a result.  Even so, he fought the 'soft' label for much of his career because he struggled to bang in the paint - it's why teams used him at the 4 (where his length and quickness actually made him an asset as a defender). 

Bringing up Zeller isn't exactly helping your case.  TZ is ideally a good backup (which is exactly what I think Kaminsky is) who is an average rebounder and really struggles when required to hold off bruisers in the post.  Zeller is actually an interesting comp for Kaminsky.  Frank has more range on his jumpshot (his slow release worries me a bit though) but that's compensated by the fact that Zeller is a better athlete.  Oh, and Zeller went at 20 by the way - as a senior who relied more on skill and IQ than strength or athleticism.  Stop me if any of that sounds familiar. 

Kaminsky won't drop to 20 like Zeller did, but no way he goes as high as 6.

Zeller went 17, not 20.

Also pau a great athlete? Explosive?  I disagree

He is mobile, good lateral quickness, agile and long. But hardly I can dunk over ppl type of player.

Which is the kind of player kaminsky is(slightly less mobile). Pau has been considered soft but still managed to get by.  Kaminsky did not get rocked by towns nor okafor (twice they met). And did quite a bit of damage on the offensive end. Just something to think about

I don't think you're remembering rookie Pau correctly. How can you forget the classic "que pasa Big Ticket" call by the Grizzlies announcer? This was him as a rookie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8v0hsyswwo

Yeah nice , one clip of him doing that.

You know that was/is not part of his game on a everyday basis

I seriously can't believe you're comparing Kaminsky to Gasol. You're going to be very disappointed when he becomes a Hawes, McRoberts, etc. type of player. I'm not sure Kaminsky can finish like that on a 9 foot basket.

Here are some more HL for your amnesia...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbzhI_wG1b8

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2015, 03:57:46 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
If you like that rare Gasol flashy dunk. Check out Kelly "Jordan' Olynyk soaring for a big time dunk.

It's odd that KO's dunk on the backup center from St. Mary's didn't generate the same excitement as Gasol dunking on Kevin Garnett, one of the best big man defenders in NBA history.

If you google "Frank Kaminksy dunks," here's what you get:

(a) a total of three wide open two-handed flushes under the hoop:

(b) one typo on which the video creator clearly meant to type "Frank Kaminksy ducks."

(c) several dunks ON Kaminsky.

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2015, 04:10:32 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I keep hearing the Jae Crowder comparisons for Justise Winslow.  Why not Jimmy Butler?  I think Winslow is going to be a star two-way player and could legit shoot up to #1.  I like Okafor as a top 5, but I'd rate Winslow just slightly higher than him.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2015, 04:15:57 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

It's odd that KO's dunk on the backup center from St. Mary's didn't generate the same excitement as Gasol dunking on Kevin Garnett, one of the best big man defenders in NBA history.

If you google "Frank Kaminksy dunks," here's what you get:

(a) a total of three wide open two-handed flushes under the hoop:

(b) one typo on which the video creator clearly meant to type "Frank Kaminksy ducks."

(c) several dunks ON Kaminsky.

TP! That was pretty funny!

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2015, 06:16:32 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I found this interesting

Don (Chicago)
Is Frank Kaminsky a significantly better prospect than Kelly Olynyk?

Chad Ford  (2:18 PM)
I hope so given how high NBA folks have rated him. I confess that personally, I'm not in love with him as a pro player. I think many scouts are in the same camp that I am. But he's converted a lot of people this year and given how well he tests out analytically, I think he's a lock for the lottery in the 10 to 15 range.

« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2015, 06:29:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Rather than list in order my top 20 prospects can I just Chad Ford this thing and tell you my top 20 prospects after the draft?

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2015, 07:12:23 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Rather than list in order my top 20 prospects can I just Chad Ford this thing and tell you my top 20 prospects after the draft?

...a decade later.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2015, 07:16:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
And my two cents on the topic at hand.

Pau Gasol is a future HOFer.  Kaminsky is a future NBA rotation player. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2015, 12:26:37 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
They should just have a draft prospects' dunk contest.  The winner gets picked first; the loser goes undrafted. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2015, 03:15:16 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Gut feeling Mudiay will go first.

1Mudiay
2Towns
3Okafor
4Russell
5Winslow
6WCS
7Hezonja
8Johnson
9Porzingis
10Oubre
11Kaminsky
12Looney
13Poetl
14Turner
15Dekker
16Portis
17Lyles
18Dunn
19Booker
20Jones

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2015, 10:16:14 AM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

...a decade later.

;D
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2015, 11:12:32 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
1. Players I'm 100% sure we won't get, so I won't bother ranking
Okafor
Townes
Mudiay
Russell
Winslow

2. Players that I would not touch with the higher of our two picks
Looney
Turner
Dekker
Kaminsky
Lyles
Hunter
Dunn
Grant
Booker

That leaves a handful of players worth bothering about for our #15ish pick as far as I'm concerned. I'm still playing with it, but I think I would choose my pick based on the following order:

1. Cauley-Stein
2. Poeltl
3. Johnson
4. Portis
5. Harrell
6. Hezonja
7. Porzingis
8. Oubre

edit--- as soon as I finished writing this, I asked myself if I'm giving up on 4-year men and euro prospects. I'm getting close to being completely out on either in the top ~15.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:25:30 AM by sofutomygaha »

« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2015, 07:49:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
My updated list

1. Towns
2. Russell
3. Winslow
4. Okafor
5. Mudiay
6. WCS
7. Johnson
8. Oubre
9. Porzingis
10. Hezonja
11. Kaminsky
12. Turner
13. Grant
14. Lyles
15. Looney
16. Booker
17. Tyus Jones
18. Payne
19. Dekker
20. Wood

Per my top 20, we would be drafting Booker at 16.  6'6" heigh. Shot .411 from the 3 pt line last year. 10 ppg as a freshman.   Nbadraft comparison: Gordon Hayward/Klay Thompson.   Would you be happy with Booker as our pick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkoA1hWlo1o